Proving solvency for residency.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I have letters of guarantee with apostillos from my bank and investment firm. Will these be accepted as proof of solvency?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I simply put $5000 US into an RD bank account.... on my lawyer's instructions

However, RD being what it is - sometimes you need a Cedula to open a bank account.
My case was the opposite - I needed a bank account to get a Cedula.

Let us know which scenario afflicts you:squareeye

WW

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
You may open a bank account with any foreign passport in Santiago, however, the same does not apply to dominican passport. If you have a Dominican passport, you will need a cedula.

BGF

Oct 10, 2010
I am still confused by the Dominican Republic's definition of solvency. The Dominican embassy web site does not state what is solvency. The DR1 site states minimum 500,000 pesos invested in the country in whatever form you choose. I have also read somewhere else (I know link needed) that you need to prove a minimum guaranteed income of $2,000 USD for a single person. I assume guaranteed means pension, social security, or a private annuity.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I'm not trying to open a bank account actually. I'm trying to take care of the requirement that when you apply for residency you need to show the financial ability to live in the country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not trying to open a bank account actually. I'm trying to take care of the requirement that when you apply for residency you need to show the financial ability to live in the country.

That is what I used the bank account for.... my residency application.... there were no question about financial stability whatsoever

Guzman Ariza - not the cheapest, but efficient and swift.

Sign this, stamp that.... hello residency and cedula

WW

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Trainman, I suspect you are being heisted again.

The fee you pay a lawyer includes him taking care of all this stuff, maybe unofficially?

I know plenty of Haitians who have gone through the residency process just like you.
Do you really think they all had 5k in the bank?

Even the NA and EUs did not need to jump through that particular hoop - many of them couldn't even if they wanted to.

Just pay your US$800-US$1200, sit back and wait.

Dominican lawyers* are worse than the chicas ;)

* Guzman and associates being the obvious exception.

Last edited:

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Trainman why do you really want to obtain your residence in the DR?? Are you fluent in the language ??? Have plenty of family and friends here?? Do you have business investments here??? Do you have good networking connections in the DR?? Do you have a high paying job in the DR??? If its none of the above then the main reason is that its for the girls the chicas the pu-tang!!!! Most likely you're able to score faster here than in your native country its easier for you once your money is dramatically drained you shall return to your homeland just wait stay tuned!!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Trainman by the way are you still with that chica from the pic you posted in the Dominican Beauty thread????

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Trainman why do you really want to obtain your residence in the DR?? Are you fluent in the language ??? Have plenty of family and friends here?? Do you have business investments here??? Do you have good networking connections in the DR?? Do you have a high paying job in the DR??? If its none of the above then the main reason is that its for the girls the chicas the pu-tang!!!! Most likely you're able to score faster here than in your native country its easier for you once your money is dramatically drained you shall return to your homeland just wait stay tuned!!!!

WTF?????

Perhaps he wants to live here?
And to do that one should gain residency.

Si o No???

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You will find if you ask Mr Guzman that the DR does not require any financial standing in order to gain residency. I k ow where you read about needing 500,000pesos, but if is simply wrong according to Mr Guzman and not even an issue. Well, he doesn't seem to have probs getting things through without that particular problem. If you search about for a thread of mine from ages ago you can read his response to this exact detail. Not needed!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Interesting theory. I am none of the above but can assure you I'm not here for the 'Pu-Tang'.
This isn't an elite club to live here, people like me live here for genuine unimportant reasons, you don't need to be rich or a monger to want to be here. I can't remember when I even bothered to double check a fit chick. It isn't a big deal living here, just another country to live in, pretty much like any other, more or less.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I am none of the above also. I will take the needed papers to the Migration office in Santiago myself. I kicked that girl to the curb two weeks ago.
I am looking at the page of the migration office and it says on the checklist page for provisional residency,
"Letter of guarantee made by natural or legal person with reasons of economic solvency, with two (2) witnesses, authenticated by a Notary Public and certified to the Attorney General's Office, taking responsibility off the DGM of living expenses in country and repatriation of the applicant, if necessary. Attach legible photocopy of both sides of the identification of the guarantor and witnesses."

DGM - Servicios - Extranjeria - Residencias Provisionales (Adultos)

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
We've been starting the residency process recently and were informed that the financial solvency requirement has been retracted for now. Apparently they are going to re-visit this in the future but for now it is not required.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When using a lawyer, I believe the law office steps up as guarantor.... gets the signatures and you're in.

Please read the thread about renewing inSantiago.

You'll find an applicant there who has been waiting months even using a lawyer.

All law firms are not created equal.

WW

BGF

Oct 10, 2010
Thanks, Anatascio, William, and Pedro. This has been very informative. I may start the process this Christmas just to give myself the option of staying here longer than 2 months on a tourist visa. I may not need it, but options are nice to have. I have no specific deadline that I need the residency stuff to come through, so I can afford to wait.

LOL, unlike Anastacio and Pedro, I can't categorically deny all of the above categories. I am looking to go there to be nearer to my girl's putang. I know, I know how dare I not follow the shining path of the Shaolin Temple and practice my Fists of Virginity Restoration everyday! :)

OK, in all seriousness, Anastascio, I assume you mean this thread that you started: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/103337-financial-status-checks.html

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The best thing about residency in RD - if you need a principal country of residence - is that there is no "minimum stay" requirement.

Most residencies call for the resident to pass a designated amount of time in the country.... not so here.

That time varies country to country - island to island - not prohibitive, but it is an other hurdle to clear... another obstacle.... another governmental control

WW