How to put Pressure On A Dominican Lawyer?

Ricardo2601

Nov 9, 2010
I need to know if I can use someone in the Dominican Republic to put pressure on a lawyer to do what he told me he would do. This is an immigration lawyer who was processing my permanent residency card for me after I took all the steps with him in immigration to get it.

His original intention was not to do me wrong since I got a call from him a couple of months after I had gone through all the steps with him at immigration in the D.R. The call was a request to send the color copies of my cedula and my temporary residence card by fax to a fax number at immigration that he gave me. They needed this to process my residency. Before I did business with him I checked him out at the College of Abogados to make sure that he was real. So I believe with good reason that he has processed my residency card.

It has taken about 5 to 8 months.

My permanent residence card is ready as he told me it was ready over the phone after I called him a couple of weeks ago, but he seems to be very evasive about sending it to me. Perhaps he can not get ahold of it himself and he does not want to tell me that since he originally told me he would be able to send it to me by FEDEX??? Of course he could have told me that in order to get business from me knowing all along I would have to go down there to pick it up? These are conjectures I am making of course.

Would he be able to gain access to my residence card and send it to me by Fedex or do I have to pick it up at immigration myself and he is not telling me about that fact? What is your understanding of the procedures and what he can or can not do?

Could it be that he does not want to pay the bribe to have immigration officials release it to him so he can send it to me via FEDEX?

Could I get a couple of lawyers in the Dominican republic to act on my behalf to put pressure on him to send it to me?

Could I get another lawyer to go into immigration to get it and send it to me via FEDEX?

I know this guy is a real lawyer and knows the people in immigration and I believe he was processing my permanet residency card and that it is ready. THE ONLY THING LEFT IS FOR HIM TO HONOR HIS PROMISE AND SEND IT TO ME AND I WANT TO PUT PRESSURE ON HIM TO DO THIS.

Please help me people

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
Sorry for you frustrations in dealing with your attorney. Its is common practice for dominican attorneys to delay the process even further and not staying on top of things and laziness. I have gone thru a similar nightmare with an attorney over an other issue. Only causes stress and wastes your time and money. Hang in there. 5-8 months is normal time for them to print the card. No attorneys needed yet to pressure this guy. . My card actually took 18 months to arrive two weeks before it expired.

As to my recommendations,

Sounds like you have a communication issue possibly with your attorney. If you cannot go to his office and see him face to face, ou need to be direct with this guy and call him as politely as possible. Ask for an explanation for the delay. Then most importantly ask when and how will you will receive the card. Stress your urgency. I would follow up with a phone call every other day. If you then get the runaround call and complain to the immigration office, then pay him a visit with Vito and Quido looking guys, and say lets go to immigration and get my card.

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
hiring a dominican attorney to pressure a dominican attorney is like cleaning up dog dung with dog dung

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Dealing with Dominican lawyers to receive even the simplest of issues is a pain in the rear. These lawyers pretty much don't care about their client's stress and troubling/complaining calls they receive from clients. They are mediocre and lazy have that apathetic " I will do it Manana" or " Cuando me de la Gana" attitude. I'd say 90% of Dominican lawyers can't hold a candle or underwear of a U.S., Canadian, or European lawyer. Comparing the competence and diligence of a Dominican lawyer to a U.S./European lawyer is like comparing a College professor to a middle school student its a shame but true!!! They have no reputable governing and/or overruling body that checks on Dominican lawyer practices and competency please lets not get even started with the bogus Dominican Bar Association what a farce!!!! Not all but approximately 90% of Dominican Lawyers couldn't even last a year in a U.S. law school FACT!!!! I've had bad experiences with them so have people I know from the DR also. Even people in DR don't respect them and constantly refer to them as crooks and gangsters!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope you didn't pay him the WHOLE fee for this job; until it was completed

That is where many people make a mistake, they pay the money up front. If you have to pay part, do so reluctantly, but always hold back enough so the person--in this case your lawyer--has motivation to get the job done...and so that you aren't out too much if it doesn't

If the attorney says you must pay everything, find another one.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I don't know if that's still the case,
but for Your first permanent residency Card it was Usual that You pick it up Personally and get again Your Foto taken, that Day they Print the Card. and with that card You go to the next Office and get Your Foto taken and Your permanent Cedula Printed.
a Lawyer can Renew Your Card for You(even that the "Rules" prohibid to send the old card by Metro etc), but forthe First Permanent Card I don't think He will get it for You.
good Luck
Mike