If I becomen an American

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Can someone give me some advises about this; My neighbor who is original from El Salvador told me that: His mother was given a ten years tourist visa with no requirements of solvency or any other guaranty just because he is an American citizen and he took the old lady to the consulate during a visit to his country.
If this work in DR it will be worthy for me as I can have my mother coming to visit me some time in the future, of course I'll have to apply for the blue passport first next year.

A green card might no be a good idea, she is too sentimental and would get homesick been far from her town and rest the of the family.

JJ

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My Mother came to the US on a tourist visa for the first time. She was 65 years old, had to prove that she owns a property and receives retirement benefits in Ukraine to get accepted for a tourist visa. Embassy denies less to the senior citizens because they are less likely to violate visa stay requirements if they have families and properties in their home country. I applied for a green card, and subsequently US citizenship for her. Now she travels with the US passport.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I'm 100% sure that no one on his 60 years of age will be willing to stay illegal in US with no medicare plan to pay for the medicine or the doctors bills. I know more than a tens of Dominican elders who were given green cards as their sons apply for them and even so they don't wants to live here...
And now they are living a dilemma as if over stay more than six month in DR might loss the permanent visa.

That is my point!!!

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My Mother traveled back and forth for 10 years with stays 6 months and longer in Ukraine. She has her citizenship now. They seemed to be tolerant towards a senior citizen who is being financially provided for and does not need benefits from the state. She did not have to even speak much English to pass the citizenship test. It was quite easy for her to do. Overstay is no good, but one can always file for a visa extension.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My Mother traveled back and forth for 10 years with stays 6 months and longer in Ukraine. She has her citizenship now. They seemed to be tolerant towards a senior citizen who is being financially provided for and does not need benefits from the state. She did not have to even speak much English to pass the citizenship test. It was quite easy for her to do. Overstay is no good, but one can always file for a visa extension.

There is no comparison between immigrants from the former Soviet Union.. who are .. ok .. i am gonna say it... predominantly white and well educated...

to Dominicans... who predominantly are not either.

For years the DR topped the immigrant visa program in the US for "family reunification" but I think that the quota has been cut substantially ....

since there are so many deportees..... after their felony convictions

every country of origin is different

just as every case is unique

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Each situation is different. In our case, the immigration officer in SD came right out and told us that because we lived in the US it made it harder for my father-in-law to get a visa - the assumption is that he might come and stay with us permanently. In the end he was approved, because he had a wife, 5 other children, and 2 houses in the capital. It convinced them he was coming back. My mother-in-law has a 10 yr visa, she can stay 6 months at a time.

AE

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Well, I think the problem is solved!!! My mom just got a new admirers who is same age as she is and he is a Dominican / American citizen.:)

JJ