North Coast excursion... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I know these threads get annoying but I've spent hours on tripadvisor and scouring the DR1 forums and my brain is mush. My partner and I are planning on a trip up to the North Coast. It will be our first since we moved to the DR last year. We're considering starting off in Puerto Plata and moving east along the coast. We also want to spend some time in SD to do some much needed Pricesmart/IKEA shopping so we'll only have about 4-5 days in the north. I'm figuring about $150-200/day on the food & lodging. We're not at all opposed to the AI thing as it keeps things simple.

We'll probably leave very early Sunday from Bavaro with the intent of getting to POP in the early afternoon. Is it best to take the new highway up toward Samana and then head east along the coast?

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Oops.. got my east/west mixed up. With regard to the best route I meant take the new highway up to Samana and head west.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If your destination is Puerto Plata, the driving time (Samana highway compared to going through Santo Domingo/Santiago) is about the same. The Samana highway is more scenic. If you were to drive at night, it would probably be faster going through the cities as you would be avoiding traffic.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Are you also looking for suggestions on day trip excursions when you're in POP? Because if you are, I took the catamaran day trip on the banana republic, it leaves from the Playa Dorada beach around 8:00 am and they take you to Sosua to snorkel on the reefs for the day. It was great fun and cost around $50 US when I went. Unlimited drinks are included and they give you a big lunch. They bring you back around 4:00.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Sorry, after posting my last blurb I realized that the OP said they are starting out in POP... my info may not have been helpful.... afterall. Have a great trip anyhow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have never been on samana highway but i always liked the drive alond the norh coast, nagua-POP is super pretty!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
i have never been on samana highway but i always liked the drive alond the norh coast, nagua-POP is super pretty!

I agree. That is why I land in POP, nicer drive IMO (then again I am not the one doing the driving) :)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Are you also looking for suggestions on day trip excursions when you're in POP? Because if you are, I took the catamaran day trip on the banana republic, it leaves from the Playa Dorada beach around 8:00 am and they take you to Sosua to snorkel on the reefs for the day. It was great fun and cost around $50 US when I went. Unlimited drinks are included and they give you a big lunch. They bring you back around 4:00.

Sorry, after posting my last blurb I realized that the OP said they are starting out in POP... my info may not have been helpful.... afterall. Have a great trip anyhow.

No worries... your suggestion is welcome. We're open to all ideas (within reason...LOL)

flamingobernie

Feb 2, 2005
www.xpro-design.co.cc
I know these threads get annoying but I've spent hours on tripadvisor and scouring the DR1 forums and my brain is mush. My partner and I are planning on a trip up to the North Coast. It will be our first since we moved to the DR last year. We're considering starting off in Puerto Plata and moving east along the coast. We also want to spend some time in SD to do some much needed Pricesmart/IKEA shopping so we'll only have about 4-5 days in the north. I'm figuring about $150-200/day on the food & lodging. We're not at all opposed to the AI thing as it keeps things simple.

We'll probably leave very early Sunday from Bavaro with the intent of getting to POP in the early afternoon. Is it best to take the new highway up toward Samana and then head east along the coast?

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.

Have a chat with Sonia she manages a tourist info place has lots of good ideas ie places to stay tours and info on the DR Sosua information center- Accomadation rentals
hope this helps

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

Samana highway is definitely a drive worth taking. It is very pretty. I took lots of pictures even while in the car.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I think we've decided on Riu Merengue in Puerto Plata. Only about $100 per night for the 2 of us and if we get tired of the property we can always drive into town and explore. Plus we wanted to do a day trip down to Santiago since we've never been.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Put on your dancing shoes and go to the (much-maligned) Sosua.
You'll have a blast!
Zingiest town in DR!
Snorkel the hangover away on Sosua beach and have lunch in any of the great eating spots.Cafe Cubana has great burgers, Baileys is fab for combos, Britannia is awesome and Ooh La Vache has pizza to die for!!etc etc.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
NJOY tours has a great excursion. Leaves from Magnete beach. Get your choice of fishing or horseback riding. Enjoy a great lunch at Los Gringos and then head out in the boat for snorkelling, mangroves tour and tubing. Great fun!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Road Trip

Here is the route I would suggest. If you leave Puerta Plata and drive on, I believe RT 5, which is the main road, head east towards Cabarate. It is a good place to stop, watch the kiteboarders and have something to eat if you want. Continue east through Rio San Juan into Nagua. In Nagua follow the signs for Santo Domingo . You will leave Nagua and be heading towards San Fransico de Marcois. Continue following signs to Santo Domingo and the town of La Vega. You will eventually get on RT1 heading south to Santo Domingo. This is a major highway and you can make good time. It is a straight shot to SD. In Santo Domingo do your shopping downtown but stay overnight in the Colonial Zone in the El Conde' Hotel, which is located in the heart of the Zona Colonial. You are right across the square from the first church in the new world and all the historic sites. The El Conde' is an old colonial hotel with reasonable rate, adequate rooms and a great location with a beautiful outdoor cafe out front. It is a great place for locals and tourists to sit have a drink or an espresso and forget about the rest of the world for a little while. If you are interested there are many local guides who will give a walking tour of the many historic sites located in the streets around El Conde'. The tour is relatively in expensive but tell your guide that you are not interested in buying any trinkets or cigars otherwise a lot of the tour will be his effort to get you to the shops where he can get a cut of what you spend. The same stuff is sold all over the DR. If he is not willing to just show you the sites without giving you the KMart tour than walk around the area yourself but definitely do pay to go through Alcazar which is Diego Colon's, Gouverneur of Santo Domingo and son of the famous Christopher's original stone home which still sits on the bank of the Ozama Rio in the corner of the historic district. When you leave Santo Domingo take the highway and head towards Las Americas Airport. About 10 minutes from the airport you will pick up the new highway north to El Catey- Las Terrenas-Samana. You will be on the highway for its entire length which will take about 1hr and 15mins. and about 365 pesos worth of tolls. There are two tolls booths fairly close together at the Santo Domingo end and one about 10kms from the end of the highway at the northern end. When you exit the highway if you take a right you will be heading towards Samana, left and you will be heading back to Nagua, Rio San Juan, Cabarate, Sousa and Puerta Plata. If you want to explore the Samana Peninsula head over the mountain where the sign points to Las Terrenas about 8 kms from Sanchez. This is a very "scenic" ride with many twists and turns. Take your time on the road. There are a lot of photo oportunities, especially the first climb up the hill. If you look behind you, you will see before you, Samana Bay in all its' glory. Follow the road all the way into Las Terrenas. There are many hotel and restaurants all along Playa Las Ballenos, Playa Las Terrenas and Playa Punta Poppy. If you desire continue of the road going out of Las Terrenas along Punta Poppy towards El Limon Falls. You can take a guided horse back tour or just wave as you go by and head for Samana. The malecon at Samana Bay is beautiful but the town itself is one
big tourist trap. If you want to do any tours in Samana, such as, Los Haittes Park or Cayo Laventado make sure you have a reliable tour operator otherwise you will get the "special gringo price" and by this I mean screwed but with a smile. Once you leave Samana head out of town the way you came but go straight back towards Sanchez. You will then not have to go over the mountains outside of Las Terrenas. Retrace your route and head for Puerta Plata. It will take you about 3 1/2 hours from Samana. Wow that's a lot to do in 24 hrs. I'm tired just thinking about it. Have fun.

S

Reactions: AlterEgo
May 29, 2006
If it's running, try to take the cable car up to the top of the mountain in POP. Bring a lunch. It's cooler at the top and there is a very nice park.

Status
Not open for further replies.