Death of Ted Kheel--Punta Cana resort founder

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It certainly was.

I had the honour of meeting this remarkable man a couple of years ago. My condolences to the Kheel and Puntacana families.

Ted Kheel, founder of Puntacana dies
Theodore W. Kheel, founding partner of the Punta Cana Group and well-known mediator in union conflicts in the United States, passed away last Friday morning in New York City. Kheel was 96 and left six children, eleven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. His labor mediation was done mostly between 1950 and 1980, and Kheel became an important figure in workers' civil rights struggles in New York City. In 1970 the New Yorker described him as "the one man most capable to keep in working order a substantial portion of the sputtering labor machinery not only in New York City but over much of the United States". In this country, together with businessman Frank R. Rainieri, he created the Punta Cana Group in 1969, which has been a national pioneer in corporate social responsibility and environmental awareness projects. A polytechnic school sponsored by this project was named after Ann and Ted Kheel.
His great nephew, Jake Kheel, who is director of the Puntacana Ecological Foundation, commented when confirming the news: "It is up to us all to take his vision of sustainable development to reality."
PUNTACANA Ecological Foundation
www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/nyregion/15kheel.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
Last Word | Ted Kheel - Video Library - The New York Times...

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Having worked in the NYC newspaper industry for most of my working life as a union man and meeting up with this man among men,I can tell you that God broke the mold when he made Ted Kheel.