Angry Haitians attack UN troops

Gerritt_From_Canada

Nov 2, 2010
PORT-AU-PRINCE - Protesters in Haiti who blame United Nations troops for a cholera epidemic that has killed hundreds attacked U.N. peacekeepers with rocks in two cities Monday, raising questions about security ahead of presidential elections this month, authorities said.

In Haiti's second city of Cap-Haitien in the North, hundreds of protesters yelling anti-U.N. slogans hurled stones at U.N. peacekeepers, set up burning barricades and torched a police station, Haitian officials said.

"The whole city is blocked, businesses and schools have closed, cars have been burned. It's chaos here," a businessman in Cap-Haitien, Georgesmain Prophete, told Reuters.

Adouin Zephirin, the government representative in Cap-Haitien, said some injuries were reported but no deaths.

At Hinche in the central region, demonstrators threw stones at Nepalese troops who have been the subject of widespread rumors that they brought to Haiti the cholera bacteria behind the month-long epidemic.

The U.N. mission in Haiti, which is helping the poor Caribbean country rebuild after a devastating Jan. 12 earthquake, has denied rumors that latrines close to a river at the Nepalese U.N. camp were the cause of the cholera outbreak.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said DNA testing shows the cholera strain in Haiti is most closely related to a strain from South Asia. But it has not pinpointed the source or linked it directly to the Nepalese troops, whom the U.N. says tested negative for the disease.

The epidemic, which has killed more than 900 people and sickened close to 15,000, has inflicted another crisis on the Western Hemisphere's poorest state as it struggles to rebuild from the quake that killed more than 250,000. Fear, uncertainty and anger have swept the country already traumatized by the quake, which also left 1.5 million homeless.

Nevertheless, Haiti's government has not postponed presidential and legislative elections scheduled for Nov. 28, which the more than 12,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force in the country is helping to organize and protect.

U.N. police spokesman Andre Leclerc said the U.N. peacekeepers in Cap-Haitien used tear gas to try to disperse the protesters.

"Right now, the streets are still blocked. There is no traffic," said government delegate Zephirin, who added authorities were working to clear the streets.

CRUCIAL ELECTIONS

Joany Caneus, director of police for the northern region where Cap-Haitien is located, said the anti-U.N. demonstrators there set fire to the Pont Neuf police station.

"You can imagine how difficult it is when we cannot have the usual back-up of the U.N. troops, because they themselves are in difficulty," he told Reuters. He added the U.N. peacekeepers in the city had asked for a Haitian police patrol to be posted in front of their headquarters.

"So we don't only have to protect the population, we also have to protect U.N. troops ... We are working on ways to control the situation," Caneus said.

Leclerc said U.N. reinforcements were being sent to Cap-Haitien.

Last month, in the central town of Saint-Marc, at the heart of the cholera outbreak, stone-throwing local residents apparently fearing contagion disrupted the setting up of a cholera treatment center, burning several tents.

This month's elections are due to elect a successor to President Rene Preval, a 99-member parliament and 11 members of the 30-seat Senate, choosing leaders to steer Haiti's recovery from the crippling quake that wrecked the capital Port-au-Prince.

Analysts say the elections could be the most important in Haiti's history, but many see the path to the polls threatened by risks of political violence, as well as the huge humanitarian challenges.

Experts say Haiti's widespread poverty and poor sanitation have been major factors in the rapid spread of the cholera epidemic, which has affected six of the country's 10 provinces. The last cholera epidemic in Haiti was a century ago.

But the experts say it is difficult to trace the source of the outbreak with certainty, or determine how it had re-entered the country after such a long absence.

Angry Haitians attack UN troops - World - Canoe.ca

Reactions: waytogo
Mar 1, 2009
I keep saying this why doesn't the Domincan government just take up a huge swath of Haiti, and there build the market, houses and hospitals and such so ALL the Haitians that want to leave can stay there. We can even call it DominicanRepublic. Their they could sell, buy and have the Dominican merchants sell their wares and doodads. The containers for clinics idea could finally be used....Oh well...I wish nothing but the best for Ayiti...

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
If its not one thing its another. Haiti is in need of sooooooooo much its unreal. Its a miracle how the people survive despite so much.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
There was a CDC report that the strain of cholera now in Haiti is of south Asian origin.

Haiti's cholera likely from South Asia, CDC says - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com

I'm assuming that someone read the report and word of mouth and rumor being what it is in Haiti..........people started blaming the UN workers who are from Nepal for this outbreak.....

Add in frustration of people whose own government has historically not given a FuKC about them.....earthquake,etc...and it boils over into riot.

I happen to agree with the member who said that DR should move its social services,etc across the border. Human beings have this thing called survival instinct and will migrate for better living conditions, health services and commerce.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
They have to help themselves also, I thinkmany are losing reason to want to help, last thing before this I heard them ransacking supplies destined for them, which is plain stupid a$$ movement. I don't care how pi$$ed they are, attacking those there to help them is ridiculous, those throwing stones should have been shot, the last thing needed is less supplies, less troops, less anything, get rid if the idiots in order to help the needy.
A bit harsh in terms of a reaction but these people are goin to end up wiped out if they can't begin to help themselves a little to help the outside help function.
It is easy for me to judge from this side, I expect it is a very different situation in reality to what I can imagine, just seems so frinkin stupid of them.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
There was a CDC report that the strain of cholera now in Haiti is of south Asian origin.

Haiti's cholera likely from South Asia, CDC says - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com

I'm assuming that someone read the report and word of mouth and rumor being what it is in Haiti..........people started blaming the UN workers who are from Nepal for this outbreak.....

Add in frustration of people whose own government has historically not given a FuKC about them.....earthquake,etc...and it boils over into riot.

I happen to agree with the member who said that DR should move its social services,etc across the border. Human beings have this thing called survival instinct and will migrate for better living conditions, health services and commerce.

I love how everyone thinks DR is obligated to help Haiti. It would be very interesting if these two countries had been separated by water would people hold DR obliged to help.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
I love how everyone thinks DR is obligated to help Haiti. It would be very interesting if these two countries had been separated by water would people hold DR obliged to help.
ahahahah

I think you read what you wanted to read.

I've read many DRs say that their cities and medical facilities near te border are strained due to Haitians crossing over the border.

Since it's well documented that Haitian leaders haven't, don't and won't do much to develop the country or provide social services....it would ACTUALLY be less of a strain on DR's resources if they just set up facilities on the Haitian side of the border and closed up the border.

Not once did I say that DR was obligated to help anyone but the REALITY is that people near the border area WILL cross over for health services or commerce.

I have friends who work in corrections in NY....and plenty of illegals strain the limits of the system, and because US is NOT obligated to house them...they get deported...but you already know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mido
Mar 1, 2009
If DR did set up what could be called the Strategic Assistance Command Center for Haiti, then they could set buildings, that would provide a one stop for health, education, housing and self-governance. With the thriving border market kilometer's away the Command Center would become a financial mecca. The school's set up there would make the illiterate, to spell their own names, able to read and do simple math.

Health care center's could be set up with the container for clinics model. Those same containers could then be refurbished for housing. The streets and pavement could all be done in months. Aqueducts, sewage and CLEAN drinking water systems could be set up quickly. This would get all those people out of PAP. Many of these poor small kids and little girls that are being ruined could be taken their and properly cared for.

This would also keep so many Haitians from coming to DR. Many will still come but, if there is already an area where they could be set up on their OWN soil then SOME of the one's already in DR could be repatriated to Haiti and placed in a location where they will live like decent human beings. A win, win for Haiti and somewhat of a win for DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are two examples that will give you clear answers.

Cuba & Jamaica.

Lucky, that's all I can say regarding them and the Haitian problem. Especially with Cuba since the Sierra Maestra mountains are visible on a clear day from Cabo San Nicol?s in northwestern Haiti, and Cuba is the only other Latin country that has a history of Haitian immigration, bateyes, etc.

Jamaica deports Haitians all the time under the premise that they don't have enough resources to take care of them, and no one says anything. Imagine that!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If DR did set up what could be called the Strategic Assistance Command Center for Haiti, then they could set buildings, that would provide a one stop for health, education, housing and self-governance. With the thriving border market kilometer's away the Command Center would become a financial mecca. The school's set up there would make the illiterate, to spell their own names, able to read and do simple math.

Health care center's could be set up with the container for clinics model. Those same containers could then be refurbished for housing. The streets and pavement could all be done in months. Aqueducts, sewage and CLEAN drinking water systems could be set up quickly. This would get all those people out of PAP. Many of these poor small kids and little girls that are being ruined could be taken their and properly cared for.

This would also keep so many Haitians from coming to DR. Many will still come but, if there is already an area where they could be set up on their OWN soil then SOME of the one's already in DR could be repatriated to Haiti and placed in a location where they will live like decent human beings. A win, win for Haiti and somewhat of a win for DR.
In the mean time many kids die in Dominican public hospitals every year due to a lack of medicine.

Reactions: Lucille
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah but the point is to get them on back on their side so they don't continue swamping this side's resources as they currently are. If we can get them to return to Haiti, then we might not have less medicine and the Dominican kid's won't have to do die. If we do this not only will hopefully the majority of Haitian's leave they'll take Mountannie with them, hahaha, I'm just kidding, you know I luvs you Mizz Roebling!!!!!! ;)
Besides the kids dying is not the fault entirely of the Haitians even though they are a drain in my eye's. The fault lies with this government and it's spend, spend, spend on yipeta and Mansiones y vaina. If half of that money was put in education and healthcare this would be another country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah but the point is to get them on back on their side so they don't continue swamping this side's resources as they currently are. If we can get them to return to Haiti, then we might not have less medicine and the Dominican kid's won't have to do die. If we do this not only will hopefully the majority of Haitian's leave they'll take Mountannie with them, hahaha, I'm just kidding, you know I luvs you Mizz Roebling!!!!!! ;)
Besides the kids dying is not the fault entirely of the Haitians even though they are a drain in my eye's. The fault lies with this government and it's spend, spend, spend on yipeta and Mansiones y vaina. If half of that money was put in education and healthcare this would be another country.
Please show me the government budget.

Mar 1, 2009
Tu ta loco, o te hiede el caco? This thread is about Angry Haitians attacking UN troops, not about thin skinned Dominican's attacking each other. Let's stick to the thread compatriota. Ponte cloro. BUT if YOU want to show how well our government spends it's money, tenemos libertad de expresion dale palante, yo te apoyo comando, ohoh...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Tu ta loco, o te hiede el caco? This thread is about Angry Haitians attacking UN troops, not about thin skinned Dominican's attacking each other. Let's stick to the thread compatriota. Ponte cloro. BUT if YOU want to show how well our government spends it's money, tenemos libertad de expresion dale palante, yo te apoyo comando, ohoh...
A simple I don't know, I'm just blabbing away without knowing what I'm saying would had been more than enough.

Talking about how someone should spend their money without knowing how the money currently is spent or how much money we're talking about is a little foolish, but only a little (chuckle).

But, I'm sure this is not news to anyone, now is it? :cheeky:

I rest my case. ;)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If I may:

The DR has a confirmed case of cholera, it seems. A Haitian man is being treated in Higuey.

The Dominican Republic - the government and the people - truly have been very generous to the Haitian people since the January earthquake. The government basically turned over the unused Dajabon airport for Haiti relief. Trucks and buses are seen regularly here in Bani with aide and international relief workers headed to Haiti.

Yet, we are all aware that the relationship between Haiti and the Dominican Republic can be tense, and we are all aware that encounters between Haitians and Dominicans can also be tense.

Many people from all over the world read this forum.

Everyone has an opinion on the matter, and this forum is an excellent medium for the exchange of opinions and information.

That being said, during this extra tense time, maybe we all need to take a deep breath and think about what we have written and the tone that comes across before we actually post our comments.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
There are two examples that will give you clear answers.

Jamaica deports Haitians all the time under the premise that they don't have enough resources to take care of them, and no one says anything. Imagine that!

Deporting people and physically removing them is legal.
US does it with Mexican(via Texas) and Dominican(via Puerto Rico) illegals. In different regions of the country, the illegals literally clog social services, medical facilities and the prison system.

Immigration and limited resources is a real problem, but living where I live the concept of DRs being indignant and arrogant towards people migrating to their country just sounds odd.

I think what sets DR apart from Jamaica, in this instance, is that along with the FULL cooperation/apathy of the Haitian governments....DR government and industry has exploited Haitian migrants for decades ..and instances of physical violence against Haitians aren't rare.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
there is speculation... (ok, well I, for one, will speculate) that the riots against the UN troops were politically organized and motivated. There has always been one group that was completely opposed to the UN occupation, ie Lavalas, and there was growing resentment against them from all sectors of society .. the elite got to resent them when the UN did not nothing to prevent the rash of kidnappings..... So if there is a riot in Cap Haitian, that is one thing.. But if there are riots in Cap Haitian, Hinche and PauP.. all on THE SAME DAY.. then that is organized.....

Before MINUSTAH arrived 95% of all the cocaine on the Island traveled through Haiti .. (now reversed) so there is always at least one group that profits from anarchy.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Anger Erupts at U.N. in Haiti as Cholera Toll Nears 1,000 | Mediahacker
HAITI: Anger Erupts at U.N. as Cholera Toll Nears 1,000 - IPS ipsnews.net

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Nov 16, 2010 (IPS) ? ?People are going to take the body to MINUSTAH to show them what they did,? Jean-Luc Surfin told IPS by phone as riots erupted against Haiti?s U.N. peacekeeping force on Monday in the northern city of Cap-Haitien.

Surfin, a 24-year-old bank teller, said he walked by a young man lying dead in the street blocks away from his home, who bystanders said was shot by peacekeeping troops.

At least two protesters have been reported killed, one shot in the back, a local official told the media. U.N. troops say they acted in self-defence.

?I think the people are frustrated right now. That?s why they?re all over the street. They say they?re going to fight to the death,? Surfin told IPS.

He said demonstrators erected barricades in the street and pelted troops with stones and bottles. Two police stations were set on fire.

Protests were reported in the cities of Hinche and Gonaives in Haiti?s cholera-ravaged central region as well. Radio Levekanpe in Hinche reported that protesters tried to leave the coffin of a man who died of cholera in front of the city?s UN peacekeeping base.

Demonstrators blame foreign peacekeepers for introducing the infectious disease into the country. The U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention says the strain of cholera bacteria spreading in Haiti matches the one endemic in South Asia.

An estimated 200,000 people could be sickened before the epidemic is brought under control, an effort that could take up to six months.

The outbreak has killed over 900 people, just two weeks before scheduled elections.

?It?s a tradition in Haiti to have violence before the elections,? MINUSTAH spokesman Vincenzo Pugliese told IPS. ?People are confused, scared, and I think at this time people can be manipulated in one direction or another.?

?Basically MINUSTAH and cholera are in politics now, it?s being exploited,? he said, but declined to name any individual or group responsible.

?Someone is behind it. The population doesn?t have the means to communicate with each other and set up something this way. There?s someone behind this to motivate people to do this. Clearly, it?s part of a plan,? Pugliese said.

Anger at U.N. troops has simmered and boiled over into protests several times since the body of teenaged Gerard Jean Gilles was found hanging from a tree inside a Cap-Haitien peacekeeping base in late August.

Days later, a peacekeeping patrol responded with tear gas after being bombarded with stones. One soldier was injured, according to an internal U.N. report.

Seventeen civil society organisations authored an open letter to the head of MINUSTAH requesting an independent inquiry and condemning what they called ?your decision to obstruct Haitian justice in this case?.

MINUSTAH spokesperson Pugliese told IPS the peacekeeping force?s internal investigation found that Gilles committed suicide.

In the middle of a street in Champs de Mars, the faint smell of burnt rubber wafted from the charred remains of two tires. Students at the Faculty of Ethnology said they burned the tires and threw rocks at UN vehicles in a solidarity protest.

IPS reported in May that peacekeeping troops responded to student protests with warning shots, rubber bullets, and over 30 canisters of tear gas that caused injuries in the tent camps in the plaza.

But this time, according to students, the peacekeeping patrol ?took off.? Pugliese said he could neither confirm nor deny.

Students said more protests against UN peacekeepers are being planned for the near future.

?We protested for the same reason that people in Cap [Haitien] and Hinche are protesting. They say MINUSTAH are the ones who gave us cholera. It?s the government that?s irresponsible,? Lucien Joseph told IPS.

?Until now so many people have died. There?s been no serious response? All of them, the whole country, is going to stand up and demand MINUSTAH leave,? he said.

-- Ansel Herz, journalist
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
+509 3607 3401