Renewing Temporary Residency

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
My temporary one year residency card has expired. This was the first residency card I received along with my cedula. My employer paid for an attorney to obtain my first cedula and temporary residency card so i am not that familiar with the process. All I had to do, was go to santo domingo and take the medical and drug tests. Now I need to prove that I am in the process of renewing my residency, ASAP, so I can start a business here. Other posters have informed me that, to get renew your temporary card you have to go thru the entire process again to obtain a two year permanent residency.

Here are a list of the requirements per Immigration

DGM - Servicios - Extranjeria - Residencias Provisionales (Adultos)

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for my status to be in process, (processo)? Can I just go down buy the renewal form , and take the chest xray, or drug test and be in process?
Or do you have to fulfill all the requirements before you are officially in processo?

Also, how much will the total cost will be to complete everything including the attorney fees and all medical test costs etc?

Will I really need to get the criminal background check from my home country and obtain another sponsor? My original sponsor is no longer available?

Any help would be appreciated. Any referals for a reasonable immigration attorney?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
You've have to go through the same process as the first one and my suggestion to you is to hire someone to do it for you if you do not speak Spanish or do know how to do it. But do not pay more than 25,000.00 pesos which is the current rate.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Call this guy 809 430 8600 and tell him that you were referred by Bernie. He is Canadian/ American citizen whom has been living in the country for over 10 years and has a vast experience on this field. He will be able to help you get your and will also tell you everything that needs to be done before you pay any money. the good about this guy is that you only pay half at front and the rest when you get permit.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
As mentioned in post #3, you have to do it all over again and as mentioned do it with a lawyer!. We did the temp with a lawyer and decided to do the permanent by ourselves, not fun. We ended up going to the capital for nothing on two occasions and the whole thing cost exactly the same as with the lawyer the first time but lot's of frustration doing it by yourself.

After the permanent card it's easy, every two years you do it your self and it takes anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours. Good Luck !
LT

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
Thank you all for the help. I need to get my in Processo Papers as fast as possible. I cannot work legit until i get this. Anyone have any idea how fast I can get this? Most importantly, do you have to fulfill all the requirements or just some of the requirements before they give you a In Proceso Paper?

I know I need an attorney and know everything I must do to get this renewed. I can go to Santo Domingo next week for my drug and medical test, but I wont be able to have my criminal background check requirement for a few weeks, that takes awhile, but need my in Processo papers in next week.