Punta Cana, litter a big deal?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Anastacio,
Worked fine on my iPad but not working on my Mac.
I notice the link is a mobile link... perhaps why people are having problems.

This link should work for everyone YouTube - Shocking Punta Cana Beach you will only see here..

As for the video? Outdated (almost 3 yrs old) & the guy is over dramatic... that's 'the most beautiful beach' and the garbage is an 'atrocity'? Whatever.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yes I'm writing from my Apple I-touch. Didn't realise it would make any odds, learn something new every day, cheers. Surprised links won't locate on the mac though!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
"Be prepared. Proverty is in your face and litter is everywhere." this how my daughter warned her friend about our upcoming trip to the DR. And she never really saw the DR, only a view from the bus ride to an AI in Rio San Juan.

It's all part of education. It has to to be drilled into kids at home and in the school and of course government support. On the positive side, there are some Dominican groups who are very active with the community bringing awareness and organizing cleanups. And they DO have environment movement to protect the beauty of the island.

"Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints." we have a long way to go and cruises and AIs are the worst offenders. I guess if you are really concerned as a tourist, you should ask your resort about their green efforts and only take tours that are eco-friendly.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Poverty isn't in my face although yes I agree the city is filthy and dumping on the streets should stopped. I don't see much poverty in the capital, poor people but not poverty, I doubt I'll see much over in Bavaro either. Litter along the beach does concern me though, but that has been cleared up for me that it is not a beach I will visit.
If you walk along the malecon then the plastic that drifts around the shoreline is worrying, frightening infact, I dont expect education in recycling to come soon here, but as long as it us clean enough around my doorstep I can live with that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Macao does get dirty - we took part in a beach cleanup organised by the Macao Surf Camp earlier this year.

Yesterday my husband was driving our son and his friend (both 10) in the car. The friend lobbed an empty plastic bottle out of the window. My son made my husband stop the car and told his friend to get out and pick it up. He came home muttering "[Friend] says he loves nature but look what he did".

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Macao does get dirty - we took part in a beach cleanup organised by the Macao Surf Camp earlier this year.

Yesterday my husband was driving our son and his friend (both 10) in the car. The friend lobbed an empty plastic bottle out of the window. My son made my husband stop the car and told his friend to get out and pick it up. He came home muttering "[Friend] says he loves nature but look what he did".

Signs if intelligence and good morals from the you get generations, I hope he got a pat on the back?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My son made my husband stop the car and told his friend to get out and pick it up. He came home muttering "[Friend] says he loves nature but look what he did".

Chiri: Excellent. Love that attitude and see that maybe things will get better with future generations.

I did that to my nephew who was riding with me and he was shocked as his parents (my sister and brother in law) would just let him do it with no consequences. Heck he probably learned it from them...Typical Dominican mentality "I'd rather the inside of this car to be clean instead of the street".

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Anas,
the biggest worries about Macao Beach are gone, and there are more in the Work.
the Video is a few years old, I would guess 2007, Macao Beach been exactly as shown there, cleaned up maybe twice a year, for example 'several days/weeks' after the big easter week Parties etc.
Today's Groups as the above mentione Macao Surf camp and several Narure Protection orientated Local groups do regularly Beach Clean Ups, at the whole Beach Area including at the side of the Hotels, including macao Beach.
come and watch Yourself, We are there several Times per Month for the best Fish You can get on the East, the lil open restaurant under the Blue Roof at the far end of the Beach.
the ATV's will soon be gone, at the moment they are "Calmed Down", not running all over anymore, and they will soon be gone, not driving anymore there.
the Horses, i really Hope they will never be banned from the Beach, they are Part of it.
aside of my own Beach here in front of the Door I prefer macao Beach over any Resort Beach on the East, and You get Seafood and cold Beers for the usual Non-Tourist Rates, the opposite of Sankie-Town/El Cortecito.

it is a Educational Thingy, absolutely, and Time will change it. there are many programs running on the theme, and of course it takes Years til the last Brainless Tiguere may understand that the Beer Bottle and Styroform container belong in a trashcan, not out of the window on the street or beach.

Mike
Hey Chiri, great to hear you've been part of the Group cleaning up at macao Beach with Rafael.