Best Places to Retire - DR Not on the List

shawn27

May 24, 2010
My retirement is still 40 years or so away but Im surprised people haven't mentioned Argentina or Chile as a retirement spot..Or Brazil. I'm not sure if I'd want to retire in DR.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sorry I meant a banquette -

Banquette-indienne.jpg

May 29, 2006
The nice thing about writing for US News is you don't really need to back up anything you say or do any actual research. The article reads like a "My Summer Vacation" essay.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Without trying to be too critical of the membership here.....

If you perused this forum/message board.... would you put RD on your list as a retirement option ?:classic:

Are we ambassadors ?
Should we be?

WW

Mar 2, 2008
Without trying to be too critical of the membership here.....

If you perused this forum/message board.... would you put RD on your list as a retirement option ?:classic:

Are we ambassadors ?
Should we be?

WW

Well, many of us choose to live here, so I guess that is that is a fairly decent endorsement.

To answer your other questions: I think part of being a good ambassador is being truthful and objective (not really with most ambassadors, but let's be nice for a moment).

I also think most people on this forum give their honest and objective opinions about the DR, from their unique perspectives,without the sugar-coating.

For the most part, we are not trying to "sell" this place as one those 'ideal' retirement spots. We are simply pointing out what we see as the good and the bad of the DR, with a certain sense of balance.

Reactions: rice&beans

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm glad to see everyone's as cynical as I was when I read the list.

I don't think there are any "retirement havens" as the article suggests. Everywhere has good and bad... and people who promote either the good or the bad depending on what benefits them at any given moment.

A single paragraph about a retirement destination (or destinations) as given in that article is about as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

Reactions: rice&beans

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, many of us choose to live here, so I guess that is that is a fairly decent endorsement.

To answer your other questions: I think part of being a good ambassador is being truthful and objective (not really with most ambassadors, but let's be nice for a moment).

I also think most people on this forum give their honest and objective opinions about the DR, from their unique perspectives,without the sugar-coating.

For the most part, we are not trying to "sell" this place as one those 'ideal' retirement spots. We are simply pointing out what we see as the good and the bad of the DR, with a certain sense of balance.

Yes, that is one person's opinion

I question your confidence in the 'objectivity' of the postings... but.. I could say the same about the forum being balanced

My point was that the thread seemed miffed that RD was excluded from the list.... perhaps was it left off for the reasons you intimate....
the good and the bad of the DR, as related by its residents without sugar coating, does not justify its inclusion.

I truly don't care.... to echo your opening statement ..... I'm here and like it:cheeky:

WW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I sort of chose to make my life here nearly 50 years ago. I did not think about retirement iisues.

Nowadays, with some sort of retirement looming, let's look at what I can do:
I can lay on a beach with no vendors, eat fresh caught fish each day, soon I will be able to get WIFI/internet access and phone service. No crime that I know of.

Or I can stay at home and relax. Have the cooks come in every day and fix a meal or two and when the mood strikes, I'll do the cooking and crow like a rooster if it turns out to be really good.

I wish I could help you guys, but since I "live" here, this is home, and not a retirement destination.

All that BS said, let's look at some reality:
Casa de Campo-> a million plus for a nice villa and then a few thousand a month for the lifestyle. La Romana, much cheaper, but you need to know Dominican and Dominican ways of doing things. Little crime.

Punta Cana-> Don't know, My experience has been in multimillion dollar places that I could never afford so I cannot recommend. Chiri and Auntie Clara live in the town so they might have a much better take on things out there. Mike Fisher is off the beaten path.

North Shore offers incredible opportunities...it truly does, but caution and patience are needed to cope with the reality of doing buisness in the DR.

However, there are literally hundreds of places to live out your life in relative comfort and safety. You just need to get the duck into line...

But for foreigners, it is a stretch because everyone is there with their hands out, liiking for a killing. That would turn most people off. This must be why I always tell people (like most of you all do too) to rent for a few months before you decide to settle down.

Ramblings for a tired old guy...

HB