Cholera Vaccine - Your Opinion??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm wondering what all of you in [or going to] DR think about the oral cholera vaccine.

Do you plan to get it?

Do you think it's necessary if someone is going to be staying mostly in the campo for two months?

Is it available in DR?

I'm on the fence and need someone to push me over one way or the other. Today I mentioned to my husband that I might ask our doctor to get it for me and he looked at me like I was nuts. Of course, he's Mr. Healthy and never gets sick.

I've read doctors recommend it be taken several weeks in advance, and since we're flying Jan 2nd that time is coming up quickly.

Am I being a big wuss even worrying about this??

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm wondering what all of you in [or going to] DR think about the oral cholera vaccine.

Do you plan to get it?

Do you think it's necessary if someone is going to be staying mostly in the campo for two months?

Is it available in DR?

I'm on the fence and need someone to push me over one way or the other. Today I mentioned to my husband that I might ask our doctor to get it for me and he looked at me like I was nuts. Of course, he's Mr. Healthy and never gets sick.

I've read doctors recommend it be taken several weeks in advance, and since we're flying Jan 2nd that time is coming up quickly.

Am I being a big wuss even worrying about this??

AE

WHO | Currently available oral cholera vaccines

you probably already read that

I have not read of ANYONE recommending the vaccine for those who are actually working in Haiti with the patients

so

you certainly would not catch me taking any sort of cholera cells dead or alive// into my body..

really...

and the campo is probably the SAFEST place to be!

just my 2 cents

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not take it. just make sure you buy a chloro pill and drop it into the cisterna. and take precautions. you shall be fine.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
i would not take it. just make sure you buy a chloro pill and drop it into the cisterna. and take precautions. you shall be fine.

Agreed. Advice from my friend the forensic pathologist - Clorox or equivalent in the cisterna/tinaco, drink and eat from secure sources only, wash all fruit and veggies, regardless if you're going to skin/peel them, in mix of 5 parts water + 1 part Clorox, wash your hands regularly with antibacterial soap or dishwashing liquid.
Bryan

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
manitas limpias

one thing to have always with you, and not only because of cholera is manitas limpias, antibacterial gel for hands. it is sold everywhere (supermarkets and pharmacies) in small bottles or tubes. less than 50 pesos. i have one bottle in my bag and another one in my car (and miesposo's car, so we are well covered). great stuff.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I would avoid like the plague itself. Vaccines are hit and miss, and if you could not pay me to take a Flu shot, I most CERTAINLY am not taking anything else. Cholera is not a deadly disease, it CAN BE deadly if you allow yourself to get too dehydrated, that is why it is causing deaths in Haiti because they don't have access to adequate Medical treatment nor a source of good hydration. But your typical tourist should not worry much about it. Just avoid potentially contaminated sources of food and water. Don't go there oblivious to it, but if you use proper precaution you have nothing to fret about, you stand a better chance of getting ran over by a motorconchista.