Planning A Trip To DR, How Do Dominicans View " Typical " Latinos?

MorenaDeMiCorazon

Nov 22, 2010
I'm what is considered in the United States a " typical " Latino, being that I am a mestizo of primarily Indian ancestry, with the standard Black hair/ Black ( well, Brown ) eyes that go with the package. Ever since I was young I was exposed to African-American culture and I grew up viewing Black people as friends and although admittedly the people of my " race ", or ethnic group if you will, typically frown upon intimate relations of any kind with people of African descent I have always loved African-descended women and I have dated quite a few.
Lately I've been getting hit on A LOT by African women, particularly of the light-skinned variety from East Africa ( Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia ) and I finally have decided to take the plunge and " GO BLACK AND NEVER COME BACK!!! ", but a girl from the actual African continent is a little too exotic for me at the moment and I want to try Dominican girls because I know they are culturally very Latin and downright beautiful! I don't know what the preponderence of the ethnic admixture is on the island but do typical Latinos ( i.e. Mexicans, Central Americans, Peruvians, INDIANS) go over well in DR? A lot of people from my country live in Puerto Rico and swear they love it there, but I just want to make sure I'll have the time of my life when I go there. I speak Spanish fluently and although I am culturally more American I have retained most of my cultural roots. I would particularly like to hear from Domnicans who live in the US or Dominicans on the island. Thanks.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so are you saying you have a self-esteem problem or a money problem ?

letting my psychology side show....:ermm:

Reactions: dr_dreamin
I'm what is considered in the United States a " typical " Latino, being that I am a mestizo of primarily Indian ancestry, with the standard Black hair/ Black ( well, Brown ) eyes that go with the package. Ever since I was young I was exposed to African-American culture and I grew up viewing Black people as friends and although admittedly the people of my " race ", or ethnic group if you will, typically frown upon intimate relations of any kind with people of African descent I have always loved African-descended women and I have dated quite a few.
Lately I've been getting hit on A LOT by African women, particularly of the light-skinned variety from East Africa ( Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia ) and I finally have decided to take the plunge and " GO BLACK AND NEVER COME BACK!!! ", but a girl from the actual African continent is a little too exotic for me at the moment and I want to try Dominican girls because I know they are culturally very Latin and downright beautiful! I don't know what the preponderence of the ethnic admixture is on the island but do typical Latinos ( i.e. Mexicans, Central Americans, Peruvians, INDIANS) go over well in DR? A lot of people from my country live in Puerto Rico and swear they love it there, but I just want to make sure I'll have the time of my life when I go there. I speak Spanish fluently and although I am culturally more American I have retained most of my cultural roots. I would particularly like to hear from Domnicans who live in the US or Dominicans on the island. Thanks.

Dude you are putting way too much planning into this, With all the examining and reexamining I would be amazed if you can get it up!!!! Just go out and talk to women who you think are pretty and let it happen.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It sounds like you have way too many hang-ups about race and culture.

Dress well and carry yourself with dignity.

That's pretty much all you'll need.

You'll be going to a place where that stuff doesn't matter as long as you leave your issues home.

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Tooo much talking, not much action on your part, just come down and you?ll have the time of your life, if you have money that is.;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Is it me or is it high season travel for DR?
Too many threads here with people getting ready to go to DR for x number of times and asking lots of WHAT TO DO type questions...

Yes, and very few ever follow up with a trip report to confirm that all that good, free advice was even applied. It's almost as if the island swallowed most of them up. Many never return to this board.

If there's one thing I've learned during travels to the D.R. it's that nobody really gives a poop about your shade, politics or profession. Respect rules in all interactions and whatever we were told in our "native culture" has no practical application there. Even the hustlers tend to return respect. They'll still try to scam you. They just do it in a respectful manner and remain open to alternative negotiations which yield lesser profits and produce tangible results for the "mark". Like the guys selling fake cigars at the beach who, being made aware that Cohiba has never sold cigars in glass top boxes will know exactly where to find good, genuine Dominican cigars or your brand of cigarettes and the beggar who would not hesitate to earn his money fetching booze and other supplies or watching your stuff like it's his for a fair tip. Most of these people who hustle because it's their only way of turning a peso will jump at the chance to earn an honest buck and make a friend in the process. Genetic makeup has nothing to do with it as it boils down to culture meets economy. Once our new friend experiences this on his first trip he will return home with a new attitude and look at himself and everyone around him differently. It's contagious.

As was stated in another post...too much mind, just go.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
LOL ... and I always feel so much better when I've been scammed with respect!

Unless you're a DR resident it will happen every time you get off a plane there. You pay $147 in "fees" for a $243 flight only to be herded into a line to wait your turn to spend an additional $10 for the privilege of standing in another line to give it to a (?) so that you may continue through the line to present your passport to immigration officials.

They could very easily roll the extra $10 into the ticket prices but that would negate the whole point. It's all legal and official and you're still just being prepared for the larger and less official scams which lie ahead on your journey. I think it's a humor test.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
relax, it's a tourist town. spend money, have fun. noone cares where you're from.

GEF girl

Oct 20, 2010
Stop!! Guess what... they will see you as a gringo!!! Yeah great, you know Spanish so sweet talking you is easier... but they won't see you as equal because you are American.. :tired:

Reactions: woofsback

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
eh whatever. a foreigners a foreigner so...its all the same. youre supposed to have money and money is king. enjoy!