seedling interchange and friends.

livingindr

Nov 23, 2010
seedling interchange and friends.

hello to everyone nice to meet you, i'm new to the site.

Going straight to the point i would like to trade, give away seedlings and make new friends on the site. I have a friend coming over from Argentina so he would like to trade as well(Will try to post on the site every now and then about other topics too).

I am located in Santo domingo but willing to move around, you see my friend and i have are on a 2 week quest to trade(will post the list if people are interested).

We collect mostly fruit plants, so if you guys happen to know good viveros let us know.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
what are you looking for exactly ? i can give you a few tips/advices.

livingindr

Nov 23, 2010
what are you looking for exactly ? i can give you a few tips/advices.

Thank you i would appreciate any tips you can give me.

We are looking for a few hard to get "holy grails" since we have many species...I don't know how hard they are to find though: Durian,Mangosteen,Lanzones,Abiu and Canistel.

on top of my head:if someone is interested in:
-Citrus seedlings:grapefruit,pomelo,mandarine,sour orange,key lime,sweet palestine lime,orange,lemon(c.limon) and limequat.
-annonas:Cherimola,Pond apple,Soursop,Sugar apple,Atemoya,Mamon and Soncoya.
-sapodilla
-syzygium:malay apple and wax apple
-Lemon drop mangosteen
-Akee
-Marang
-Jagua(genip)
-Cotton(seeds)
-Chocolate pudding fruit
-Moringa
-Acerola

There is more but i don't remember right now...i'm trading and giving away my extra plants since i don't more than 2-3 of each one. don't want to kill them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you i would appreciate any tips you can give me.

We are looking for a few hard to get "holy grails" since we have many species...I don't know how hard they are to find though: Durian,Mangosteen,Lanzones,Abiu and Canistel.

on top of my head:if someone is interested in:
-Citrus seedlings:grapefruit,pomelo,mandarine,sour orange,key lime,sweet palestine lime,orange,lemon(c.limon) and limequat.
-annonas:Cherimola,Pond apple,Soursop,Sugar apple,Atemoya,Mamon and Soncoya.
-sapodilla
-syzygium:malay apple and wax apple
-Lemon drop mangosteen
-Akee
-Marang
-Jagua(genip)
-Cotton(seeds)
-Chocolate pudding fruit
-Moringa
-Acerola

There is more but i don't remember right now...i'm trading and giving away my extra plants since i don't more than 2-3 of each one. don't want to kill them.

We have a small finca in Playa Najayo, and would love to take you up on your offer - any chance you can wait until January? We arrive on the 2nd.
Also, my [Dominican] husband knows every vivero in Santo Domingo and San Cristobal province, he'd be happy to talk to you.

AE

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I'm posting you a full response tomorrow morning, i may have a one shot solution for all your needs, i have to check a couple of books.

livingindr

Nov 23, 2010
We have a small finca in Playa Najayo, and would love to take you up on your offer - any chance you can wait until January? We arrive on the 2nd.
Also, my [Dominican] husband knows every vivero in Santo Domingo and San Cristobal province, he'd be happy to talk to you.

AE

Great so you are the first in the line...I'm not going anywhere though my friend from Argentina is only going to be here for 2 weeks. There will be fewer extra seedlings by then but i can save you what you want.

Alright looking forward to talk with him.

appending to list of what i have extra "me sobra":
-Loquat
-Longan
-Elephant apple(d.indica)
-Icaco var icaco
-Guayaba(mexican,dominican and taiwanese)
-Carambola
-Bilimbi
-Caimito "green"

livingindr

Nov 23, 2010
I'm posting you a full response tomorrow morning, i may have a one shot solution for all your needs, i have to check a couple of books.

If they're tips as in growing don't worry i have tons of docs :glasses:

CristianR

Nov 22, 2010
Hi! I'm the guy from Argentina that is coming to D.R.
I have to pack all my stuff tomorrow, so please let me know ASAP the seeds and cuttings that I should bring with me:

Seeds:
Lychee
Limequats
Amelanchier canadensis
Stauntonia hexaphylla
Aronia melanocarpa
Cherimoya
Solanum abutiloides
Xonocostle
Caigua
Dates
Tejocote
Passiflora ligularis
Turnip
Red okra
Physalis peruviana
Solanum quitoense (Lulo)
Solanum muricatum
Cas guava
Taiwanese green guava
Tree tomato

I have more seeds but are natural to the tropics, so I guess you already have them in D.R.

Cuttings:
Elderberry
Fig
Natal plum
Pereskia (Godseffiana and grandifolia)
Red dragon fruit
Chilean guava (Ugni molinae)
Maqui (Aristotelia chilensis)
Feijoa
Stevia
Kumkuat meiwa (sweet)
Citrus medica (citron)

Jackfruit seedling
Longan seedling
Pomegranate seedling
Chrysophyllum gonocarpum seedling (just 1)
Alophyllus edulis (Chal-chal) (just a couple)

I'm interested in rare fruit trees, such as miracle fruit, green sapote, canistel, rare annonacea, rare diospyros, rare eugenias or myrtacea, cornus kousa, etc
If somebody knows some good plant nurseries, I'd be more than happy to take note:)
Regards,
Cristian

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think a lot of fruit trees have to be grafted to get a healthy tree that bears a lot of good quality fruit, seedlings dont seem to work so well

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
all right here it goes. As you have an ample list of species, i can start giving you addresses wher you can get the genetic material (either seeds or plants or both) but you will have to go to at least 10 different places so i think your best move is to go to one only finca where you will be able to get 90% of what you are looking for.

There is a special man called Alfonso Brito with a finca in Los Jobos, Cotu?. He has at least 150 different fruit species in his finca. He was the inspiration of Frans Geilfus for his book "el ?rbol al servicio del agricultor - manual de agroforester?a para el desarrollo rural - gu?a de especies" which is a very valuable book for general information. I can't tell you exactly how to get there as last time i was there is more than 5 years ago, but check google earth for Los Jobos (i'll say south west of Cotu?) and you probably find your way. When you're close, ask, everybody knows him. He is a simple man, a campesino, but he is the most passionated man in the DR about fruit species (and others) i've met working in the field.

good luck

Reactions: Celt202

CristianR

Nov 22, 2010
Thank you so much JFD!:)
I will visit him!:)

Jrhartley, there are many fruits that are not grafted since they are wild native fruits (not commercial value but still tasty, such as eugenias)
I forgot to say in my list that I have one Ubajay (Hexachlamys edulis) seedling if anyone is interested

CristianR

Nov 22, 2010
"He is a simple man, a campesino"
So do you mean he is a Chopo?:eek: does he sell cheap or expensive?

VeganoSurinamero

Sep 4, 2008
Hi,

2 questions,

How do you bring your seeds in to the DR? Do you give it up to customs??

Does anyone have the number, of Alfonso Brito??

Thanks

Reactions: waytogo

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
"He is a simple man, a campesino"
So do you mean he is a Chopo?:eek: does he sell cheap or expensive?

No, i mean he's not a city prick.

Even if he sells expensive, it's cheap because he has stuff you won't find in other places.

CristianR

Nov 22, 2010
We went yesterday, he is ill, he almost die the past month :(
we've bought several seedlings, finally they sold them at RD$ 30 each one
the way is really bad, you should only go with a 4x4 to avoid a headache, it was like an extreme rally in the last part: wet soil, flooded stream..
We've tasted some fruits such as abiu, ceylon gooseberry, santol, biriba, mocambo, etc

He doesn't have wampee, bael, sundrops (eugenia victoriana), durian, langsat/lanzon... does anybody know where to get them?

CristianR

Nov 22, 2010
Finca Experimental de frutales y viveros
105 especies exoticas introducidas en el pais disponible (that was a lie, they didnt have that much..)
Inf.: Sr. Alfonso Brito, Tel.: 829-908-3445 Los Jobos, Cotui

They gave me a list with some available items, but others were "hidden" on the list, such as chupa chupa, pitahaya, mangosteen, safu fruit, cas guava, borojo, mamey sapote, some citrus, passion fruit, etc

- Carambola
- Abiu
- African Tamarind
- Araza-Boi
- Black Zapote
- Rambutan
- Jaboticaba
- Ice Cream Bean (Inga edulis)
- Grumichama
- Noni
- Elephant Apple
- Java Plum/Jambolan
- Miracle Fruit
- Bilimbi
- Pomegranate
- Mammee Apple
- Vanilla
- Cattley Guava
- Jackfruit
- Malay Apple
- Mocambo (This fruit is so disgusting..)
- Santol
- Surinam Cherry/Pitanga
- Nance
- Pepper
- Biriba
- Pulasan
- Yellow Mangosteen/Gamboge
- Inga Spectabilis
- Amazon Grape
- Loquat
- Gustavia/Sachamango
- Cola Nut
- Macadamia (Not available)
- Lucuma
- Pitomba (Talisia esculenta, not the Eugenia luschnathiana)
- Ceylon Gooseberry
- Canistel
- Governor's Plum

Remember that most are seedlings, not large trees at all...

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I'm glad you guys were able to get there, it's an amazing finca he got.