HELP! PETRIFIED! - Traveling from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata

manhattan_trout

Nov 23, 2010
Hi DR1 Folks, i've been reading all the messages here about how crazy it is to drive in DR, corrupt cops, and how insane driving at night is with the crime and kidnappings etc.

Here's my situation: Traveling to DR for the 1st time, but I booked a direct flight to the wrong airport - instead of booking to POP, I booked on Jetblue to SDQ. (We're staying at a resort in Puerto Plata.)

Now, it's too late/too expensive to change the flight, and I'm stuck arriving at SDQ at 1:30pm on Friday. My wife is hopping mad that we're going to be driving for 4 hours from SDQ to Puerto Plata, and I haven't even told her about the crime or the roads yet....:dead:

I was thinking of renting a car at SDQ and driving to Puerto Plata. But flight lands at 1:30pm - by the time I rent the car it'll be 3pm and I wont get to Puerto Plata until 7 or 7:30pm and I've read the horror stories here about driving at night....

So what should I do - Should I get a car service? Are there reputable car services around? My hotel is offering me a car service for $250 each way from SDQ to Puerto Plata!!! (Is that the going rate?)

Please help - at this point, I'm thinking of canceling our DR vacation and going somewhere else...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Why not get a taxi into Santo Domingo and Caribe Tours bus to Puerto Plata? Departures every hour till 7pm, according to their site. Their buses are comfortable if a little on the arctic side...

Caribe Tours | VIAJES

manhattan_trout

Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions, but how long would a bus ride take?

Isn't it 30-45 minutes from SDQ to the bus stop, then 4 hours on the bus till Puerto Plata, and then we would need to take a taxi from the bus stop to the resort?

So all in, the Caribe bus could be up to 6 hours or more of travel time?

Alternatively, are there any good taxi services that are recommended and trustworthy?

Mar 2, 2008
I think that most taxi drivers will take you to POP. It might be rather expensive, but certainly less than what the hotel quoted you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Send Bachata a PM, he will find you a driver for the right price, I am thinking $150 could get the job done each way, maybe $250 RT???

He is my retired chofer, and knows people!
Did you try landing in STI, it is a much closer, if POP is too much $$$?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....and I'm stuck arriving at SDQ at 1:30pm on Friday.

if you get a taxi, i reckon you will probably want one that takes you through the new road, up to nagua and then on to POP.

may well be more expensive for the tolls, but if you arrive on friday at 1:30pm, i wouldn't be surprised if you are still in santo domingo at 7pm.
the friday afternoon traffic jams in centre of the capital are the worst of the week.

don't think you need to stress about the crime. i would be more worried driving late at night in the US after seeing so many of those hollywood films.

in fact, for $250 +tolls, i am surprised no one on this board will take you up there.

better still....pay an extra night in hotel in capital, have a look around. get staff to organise your trip to POP on saturday morning. cost you more, but could prevent the divorce :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi DR1 Folks, i've been reading all the messages here about how crazy it is to drive in DR, corrupt cops, and how insane driving at night is with the crime and kidnappings etc.

Here's my situation: Traveling to DR for the 1st time, but I booked a direct flight to the wrong airport - instead of booking to POP, I booked on Jetblue to SDQ. (We're staying at a resort in Puerto Plata.)

Now, it's too late/too expensive to change the flight, and I'm stuck arriving at SDQ at 1:30pm on Friday. My wife is hopping mad that we're going to be driving for 4 hours from SDQ to Puerto Plata, and I haven't even told her about the crime or the roads yet....:dead:

I was thinking of renting a car at SDQ and driving to Puerto Plata. But flight lands at 1:30pm - by the time I rent the car it'll be 3pm and I wont get to Puerto Plata until 7 or 7:30pm and I've read the horror stories here about driving at night....

So what should I do - Should I get a car service? Are there reputable car services around? My hotel is offering me a car service for $250 each way from SDQ to Puerto Plata!!! (Is that the going rate?)

Please help - at this point, I'm thinking of canceling our DR vacation and going somewhere else...

There hasn't been any kidnapping of foreigners on the highways as far as I've heard. Get a taxi to either bus station. Both a comfortable, safe, and keep to their schedule. If you want to take a taxi, PM Bacata and he'll give you an honest contact that speaks English.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Why not get a taxi into Santo Domingo and Caribe Tours bus to Puerto Plata? Departures every hour till 7pm, according to their site. Their buses are comfortable if a little on the arctic side...

Caribe Tours | VIAJES

Your best and cheapest bet... just don't sit near the back of the bus or else you'll be smelling the washroom :ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
GET a life Ricky!

you seem quite knowledgeable about things here in the dr for someone who is coming for the first time. how long to drive from airport to city, from city to pop, the roads and finally, crime. have you been here before and dont want your wife to know? after a little investigation, you are leaving jfk on flt 823 arriving sdq at 1330. there is a flt to pop at approx. the same time--flt 811. there are seats available on that flt and it is not to late to change your tickets.

This a creapy post and kind of uncalled for.
Why not find out his IP address while you are at it?

The OP asked a simple question, either answer it or go haunt another message board, maybe he is humping your wife, on the DL!

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Can?t seem to understand why people question the safty of the highway from SDQ to POP, I travel this stretch of highway quite offten (even at mid-night) and I?ve never had any problem. Sure I only live in STI thus only traveling to this city and don?t continuing to POP, anyhow, the highway is safe IMO.

Your best bet is to catch a cab its much quicker. Good luck

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
You best choice is to take a taxi to SDQ for about 40.00US and expend the night in the colonial city should be able to get a decent hotel room for around 50.00US including small breakfast in the morning and then take a 5.00US taxi ride to the Caribe Tour bus stop to catch a bus to POP for about 10.00US each person and then a taxi from the POP bus stop for another 20.00US. the whole deal should be about 150.00US and will not regret it as the colonial zone on Friday nights is a most see place.
Try this hotel Foreigners Club Hotel I stayed there many times.

LOS22

Oct 29, 2010
I think your best bet is to take a taxi to the metro or caribe tour so you can get to pop the going rate on one of these buses is 300-400 peso per person. Or if you dont want to deal with that just offer to pay 150 dollars to get to pop no more than that and buy yourself a bottle of brugal and enjoy the road trip. Next thing you know you will be in the resort by 6:30 p.m. Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have a couple of interesting choices:
1) Bite the bullet and do the taxi (about 30-35 dollars into Sto Domingo)-> Metro-> POP->taxi route, and get to your hotel
OR
2) Make the best of it and take a taxi to a nice hotel in Sto Domingo for the night, wake up refreshed and then enjoy your ride through the country on the Metro.

Be sure to bring a light jacket or sweater as they like to keep the A/c at or below freezing.

Of course if that post is right and Flt 811 goes into a closer airport...that is a third option...

Good Luck with your trip...

HB

Mar 1, 2009
You will be fine, since I am a little more adventurous (some would say foolish) than some. I would follow Chirimoya's option. The bus ride is nice from what I hear. Or listen to Tambora, he is also knows he's shyte, plus Bachata is the man.

I really don't think you have a problem man, just don't let your old lady think you don't know what your doing and you'll be fine. Cause if she get's a whiff of fear from you, your DONE!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This a creapy post and kind of uncalled for.
Why not find out his IP address while you are at it?

The OP asked a simple question, either answer it or go haunt another message board, maybe he is humping your wife, on the DL!

I don't think it's creepy at all. The OP does seem to have quite a bit more knowledge about The DR than the typical first time visitor...but above all why not just change the flight? I'm sure it's cheaper than the 500 USD he would have to pay for taxi not to mention a lot less hassle. Ricky gave him the best option, which for whatever reason he doesn't want to take...it does sound fishy to me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think it's creepy at all. The OP does seem to have quite a bit more knowledge about The DR than the typical first time visitor...but above all why not just change the flight? I'm sure it's cheaper than the 500 USD he would have to pay for taxi not to mention a lot less hassle. Ricky gave him the best option, which for whatever reason he doesn't want to take...it does sound fishy to me.

Puhleeez.... he read previous posts..... did his homework... therefore has some knowledge of the distance/time from SDQ to POP

he is not one who has come forward with a dumb question...

A question where all the responses will be ....
"Use the search function , you Dunce"

Answer the Q .... or buggar off..
(pardon me... selfrightousness is a taste I have yet to acquire)

WW