Best Golf near SD?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have a buddy coming down from MIA for a visit this weekend. He is a golf NUT. Which are the best courses near SD? I know there are some in Juan Dolio, Metro CC etc. Is it tough to get tee times? Any in SD proper that are worth playing?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The National Golf Course at Las Lagunas. North on Duarte Highway, look for the entrance on the right after you you go under the foot bridge at Modesto place. You go up the hill and it is before you get to the light at Controbas..It is a good, tough course, and much closer than Juan Dolio, better than Isabela...

HB

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
your best choices are Guavaberry Country Club and Metro, both in juan Doilo and both have a beach club and restaurants/bar.
Depend where you are located in Santo Domingo, it would be easy to go to Juan Dolio than the ones located in SD. for exampe if you are in a hotel in the Malecon, you just drive straight that road and in 40 mins. you are in juan Dolio.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
thanks!

Thanks for all the info. We decided to take HB's suggestion and my buddy played at Las Lagunas friday. We arrived a bit late so he did not play all 18 holes. He loved the course and had a great time. He enjoyed it so much he went back and played a round on saturday.

I may have been bitten by the bug and got 2 numbers of instructors so maybe I may take up golf.

Next trip we will take him out to juan dolio to play guavaberry or metro or maybe head up north for playa grande.

Thanks again for all the info!

Reactions: Lucille

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My pleasure....

HB

Why I have good memories of Las Lagunas.

My son, Marco (a.k.a. Mo?o?o) was a very good golfer and he played there often. Each year they used to have the Big Five Tournament. Five person teams with a maximum and minimum handicap, playing scramble, I think. Each team put up $5000 so the winner'spot was over $100,000.
As usual Mo?o?o's team was on top in a big fight with some of his good buddies. They were on the 18th tee, tied up. Mo?o?o offers to split the pot (1st + 2nd prizes= about $175000.) The other team said no, so they went at it. To make a long story short, a fair drive, a perfect approach (its a 5 par) and before a huge audience a magnificent putt for eagle to give his team a bundle of dough...
He came home and gave his mother about $10,000 of his share....

Just one more reason why we loved him so much!! He was a prince is so many ways. And that is why I just love that course....

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My pleasure....

HB

Why I have good memories of Las Lagunas.

My son, Marco (a.k.a. Mo?o?o) was a very good golfer and he played there often. Each year they used to have the Big Five Tournament. Five person teams with a maximum and minimum handicap, playing scramble, I think. Each team put up $5000 so the winner'spot was over $100,000.
As usual Mo?o?o's team was on top in a big fight with some of his good buddies. They were on the 18th tee, tied up. Mo?o?o offers to split the pot (1st + 2nd prizes= about $175000.) The other team said no, so they went at it. To make a long story short, a fair drive, a perfect approach (its a 5 par) and before a huge audience a magnificent putt for eagle to give his team a bundle of dough...
He came home and gave his mother about $10,000 of his share....

Just one more reason why we loved him so much!! He was a prince is so many ways. And that is why I just love that course....

I remember that your son was an avid golfer and very good at it. I told my buddy about Marco and how if HB says the course is good. . . .. it is good. I never had the pleasure of meeting Marco or the legendary HB in person. From reading your posts on Dr1 for all these years, we all know what kind of man he was. I am sure I will think of him every time I visit Las Lagunas or play golf.

Did I mention my buddy LOVED the course? Thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Glad he did!! And it would be a pleasure to meet up one of these days. I seldom get to Sto. Dgo, but it does happen...
And FYI, Santiago's Las Aromas course is only an hour and a half from Sto Dgo!!

Cordially,

HB

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Furthermore, apart from the design, the course is in a beautiful shape right now.
That's not the case about both courses in Juan Dolio.

Isabel Villa is a par 3 nine hole course, its not worth to go if you are a good player, although it would be the right choice for beginners as they have floodlight and a driving range.

There are eas well 3 public courses in Casa de Campo in La Romana, about an hour on the highway from Sto. Domingo. All 3 courses have a nice design and are in good shape.

Good luck.