baseball stadia near Punta Cana

drguat

May 10, 2004
We are excited about our upcoming trip to Punta Cana at an all inclusive. Having travelled before, we're aware of the tour desks and often use them for excursions. However, I don't recall seeing any tours to local baseball games and wondered how we might make an excursion to La Romana? or San Pedro? We are serious MLB fans but have never seen a Dominican game and are looking forward to that experience. Any recommendations on the above stadia are appreciated!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
We are excited about our upcoming trip to Punta Cana at an all inclusive. Having travelled before, we're aware of the tour desks and often use them for excursions. However, I don't recall seeing any tours to local baseball games and wondered how we might make an excursion to La Romana? or San Pedro? We are serious MLB fans but have never seen a Dominican game and are looking forward to that experience. Any recommendations on the above stadia are appreciated!

From ShermansTravel:

Baseball fans know that several of Major League Baseball's most famous players call the DR home. Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, and Manny Ramirez are national heroes, and many Dominican MLB players travel back to their home country to play during the winter months (the baseball season in the DR runs from late October through February). Baseball is not only the national sport, but the national obsession ? you'll see children playing it constantly ? whether it's an organized game complete with uniforms or a pick-up game with one boy playing several positions. Though much of the professional action takes place around the country's capital city, Santo Domingo (a three- to four-hour drive away), you can catch an Azucareros del Este game in La Romana at the Francisco A. Micheli stadium, where music blares, the crowd goes wild, and cheerleaders dance the merengue on the sidelines. It's about 70 miles south of Punta Cana; keep in mind that traveling by car often takes longer than it does in the US as many roads are in poor condition.

Read more: Punta Cana Attractions Guide: Beaches, Water Sports, Golf, Natural Attractions and Parks | ShermansTravel.com

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
If you really want to get the feeling of real Dominican Baseball, then you?d have to catch Las Aguilas Cibae?a playing Los Tigueres de Licey. These are the most rivaled Baseball teams here, the games are totale pademonium. If you?re a real Baseball junky, then you?ll love seeing these two teams go at it.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
baseball

Basically there is no desireable baseball (or anything else) within a reasonable travel distance to Bavaro.........
carib

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Toros play during early December every 2nd/3rd Day almost, in la Romana, a 80 minutes one way drive from Bavaro/Punta Cana.
the games start at 7:30PM, so count on driving back to bavaro very late night.
unless you are not very good familiar with DR Night drives and the Road la Romana -Bavaro, I would not recommend such drive.
if You are a group of 6-8 Persons, then such visit can be arranged using a Van and Driver of a Transfer Company, I would guess the costs for such Van with Driver on Maybe $200.- Total, for agroup of 8 not that expensive for a Fun eve on a Ballgame.
enrty Fees/drinks etc go extra of course, but they are cheap.
Mike

drguat

May 10, 2004
Thanks for all the information. With our schedule, it looks like we can catch the Aguileas at Toros. Can't wait to see and experience all the craziness of Dominican baseball. Hopefully we will get a coche privado to take us to and from the game, as we won't want to drive. All the responses were so helpful, and especially the local baseball fields at Melia and Crossroad Veron, as I will be anticipating in the NY Yankees Fantasy Camp in January and need to keep practicing! Fabulous!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you really want to get the feeling of real Dominican Baseball, then you?d have to catch Las Aguilas Cibae?a playing Los Tigueres de Licey. These are the most rivaled Baseball teams here, the games are totale pademonium. If you?re a real Baseball junky, then you?ll love seeing these two teams go at it.

I think the rivalry has been diminished the last couple of years...especially this year as the two of them are battling it out for last place.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you can see 2 local baseball fields in Veron on this map. The one opposite Pueblo Bavaro is the larger field (seating, refreshments, stalls etc)
http://puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/PUNTA-CANA-MAP9.jpg

and here's the map for the area around Melia Caribe Tropical, but I'm not sure where that baseball field is
http://puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/PUNTA-CANA-MAP4.jpg

correct Yumi,
there is not a real baseball field at the melia.
when they Hit some Balls they do so on the Empty spcae between the Employees Entrance(towards the IFA Village)and the palma Shopping, at least that's the Place I saw sometimes Guys with bats running around.
the 'biggest' one is the one you mentioned above, in front of Pueblo bavaro,
and there is a 2nd baseballfield, up in Veron, right where the Politecnico is, the school from the Foundation Punta Cana.

Mike

Reactions: Lucille