Bull dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
I love animals and love Bulldogs even more and will try my best to discourage you from getting one,IF, you are intending to live in the DR.
Bulldogs are very high priced ,($2,000) and have a laundry list of health problems..the heat alone in the DR will make it impossible for this breed.
English Bulldog Health issues, problems and disease

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I love animals and love Bulldogs even more and will try my best to discourage you from getting one,IF, you are intending to live in the DR.
Bulldogs are very high priced ,($2,000) and have a laundry list of health problems..the heat alone in the DR will make it impossible for this breed.
English Bulldog Health issues, problems and disease

Paddy, advice I have heard before (aside form your Bulldog specific problems) is that is difficult, and perhaps unwise, to import a grown to the tropics because of the temperatures.

The heat can be detrimental if they don't adapt.....personally, I think dogs are very adaptive so I question the wisdom.

It certainly makes the issue moot if you buy a dog/puppy born and bred in the tropical climate.

Having said that, we bring BoBo the boxer for 4 months in the winter..... no problems. He sunbathes several hours a day... flat out in the sunshine.
He just did it today in Philadelphia at 50 degrees... go figure

WW

Aug 21, 2007
Someone is advertising bulldog puppies to give away in the AdScene. I have been so tempted to call, but I do know the short life span and medical problems bulldogs tend to experience. Wish someone would take those sweet doggies!

Lindsey

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Bulldogs and boxers are not the same as far as airways are concerned. You can't compare one to the other just because they both look like they've been hit with a truck.
It is just common sense that a beast that has trouble breathing in cool conditions will find life more difficult when his lungs need more oxygen to cool him down. Yes a dog will sunbathe all day quite happily, it isn't the direct heat when they are doing sod all that is the problem. It is not being able to get air into the lungs quick enough when the go for a walk.
If you want a trophy dog to spend it's life sitting on a cushion getting fat and draining you bank for vets bills with heart surgerys then go for it, get a bulldog.
I think it is a bit silly. If you want an ugly dog then get a pug, body mass matches up well enough to cope well with it all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anastacio..... I think you're right.

Don't airlines have rrestrictions about flying Bulldogs?
Many won't accept them, if I remember

WW

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The reason in the UK was that they killed some kids years ago and the Pitbulls bred for fighting were being mistreated by some breeders.

But I thought it was Tozas, Rottweilers and Pitbull Terriers in particular.

From what I have seen of Bulldogs one would only be dangerous if it fell on you.

May 29, 2006
Why? What is this based on?

I don't know the details, but I'm assuming in part it's because many people use them as guard dogs and not as pets. I did see that of the 1,700,000 dogs in the US that were euthanised in 2008, 58%(nearly a million) were pit bull breeds(Wiki). Do you think Michael Vick used Chihuahas for his dog fighting hobby?

I know someone who recently had their dog attacked by a bulldog just walking down the street. The bulldog owner did nothing to restrain the attack. It's not that the dogs are born bad, but there are a lot of jack-asses that train their dog to be an uncontrolled weapon. When there is a claim against a dog, the owner is often given the choice of euthanizing it or paying punative damages.

I also suspect that part of the problem is most pit bulls are born in puppy mills with very poor conditions. After eight weeks in a small cage with no proper human contact, they are shipped off to some mall. That does not make for a happy puppy who knows how to behave.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know the details, but I'm assuming in part it's because many people use them as guard dogs and not as pets. I did see that of the 1,700,000 dogs in the US that were euthanised in 2008, 58%(nearly a million) were pit bull breeds(Wiki). Do you think Michael Vick used Chihuahas for his dog fighting hobby?

I know someone who recently had their dog attacked by a bulldog just walking down the street. The bulldog owner did nothing to restrain the attack. It's not that the dogs are born bad, but there are a lot of jack-asses that train their dog to be an uncontrolled weapon. When there is a claim against a dog, the owner is often given the choice of euthanizing it or paying punative damages.

I also suspect that part of the problem is most pit bulls are born in puppy mills with very poor conditions. After eight weeks in a small cage with no proper human contact, they are shipped off to some mall. That does not make for a happy puppy who knows how to behave.

Bulldogs has in Olde English Bulldogs are not aggressive. Pit bull terrier,....etc are a different breed all together. American bulldogs are also aggressive. I'm not sure which breed the OP is talking about.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pit bull terriers...aka English Staffordshires (Ithink) are banned in Ontario Canada

The Dog Whisperer recently filmed in Ottawa and was not allowed to bring his favourite "pack leader" w/ him

Tremendous embarassment for Ontario according to the press

WW

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Yes

Agree with other posters. English Bulldogs have a litany of health issues and do very poorly in hot climates unless kept in air conditioning. There are lots of other breeds that will do fine in the DR. Look around. For example Rhodesian Ridgebacks make wonderful all around dogs - great pets, great watchdogs and great with kids, and they take the heat well being of African origin. I have seen a goodly number of Ridgebacks in and around Sosua. Forget the English Bull Dog

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Pit bull terriers...aka English Staffordshires (Ithink) are banned in Ontario Canada

The Dog Whisperer recently filmed in Ottawa and was not allowed to bring his favourite "pack leader" w/ him

WW

My friend had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - different breed to a Pit Bull.
Cute little thing she was too - the Staffy, not the friend.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Dog Whisperer

I read about this in the paper. It was a show for goodness sake by a world class trainer. How ridiculous was that, its not like he was moving there or something.

Reactions: waytogo

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

WW

Never underestimate the stupidity of government.

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
The advert in the Adscene is a scam, the pups are so called in Africa so you just have to pay the shipping which is only $800us. By the way a staffordshire bull terrier is not a pit bull terrier

melottie

Jun 1, 2010
The problem in the UK with dogs attacking children I think is not neccessarily the breed of the dog but how it is handled and in what conditions it is kept .People treating there dogs the same as a human being and not as a dog really is not a good idea especially when it a certain type of dog breed. Dogs need to have ground rules similar to the ones they live by when in a pack .If people let their dogs take over control in their homes they can become very dangerous . Left alone with children or to run loose when the owner doesnt have the respect and control of the dog is asking for trouble. Any dog can be dangerous whatever breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.