Help with a stray dog

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not much of an animal lover but this little dog mi dio pena after he was begging me for some food. We have other dogs but I don't know if we can accept this one into our home because he appears to have a skin condition and I just can't justify a big vet bill. Can you dog experts tell me if he has something contaigious or not?

2q22ye0.jpg

2j0y1qb.jpg

Reactions: Celt202

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Is he scatching alot? If not then he probably has a common allergy. If he is then he may still have an allergy but he is more likely to have some kind of parasitic visitor.
I rescued a dog a while back and she had virtually not hair, scratched all day, that turned out just to be an allergy but the vet bills cost quite a bit by the time we got her relaxing. Still paying them even though she has been in her new home for about 6 months. Me and my big mouth:tired:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So if it is a parasite how much would the treatment run? I haven't seen the dog scratching but it doesn't have a lot of hair and has a lot of little bumps on it's skin.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
possibly mange- as flea bites would cause a lot of itching

Disease related to suppressed immune system
Whether or not Demodex causes harm to a dog depends on the dog's ability to keep the mite under control. Demodectic mange is not a disease of poorly kept or dirty kennels. It is generally a disease of young dogs that have inadequate or poorly developed immune systems or older dogs that are suffering from a suppressed immune system.

so there is probaly something else wrong with it to make it suseptable to mange

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Those big eyes are breaking my heart. Wish you could ship him to Canada but the poor little thing would freeze with hardly any fur. Hope you can help him out.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So if it is a parasite how much would the treatment run? I haven't seen the dog scratching but it doesn't have a lot of hair and has a lot of little bumps on it's skin.

You can rid the parasites cheap enough, the follow up to keep his immune system strong enough to build to keep them away might run a little pricey. Over 6 months my bills must stand at over 10,000Rd but she had alsorts of other problems, lungs, heart etc. Loads of X-rays etc.
Your sound like a allergy to be honest, that could be as simple as casting you 250pesos a month for 6 month to a year. He should be strong enough and well enough to cope by then.

My advice would be to get his loads taken, get him some ointment, cost will be around 350-450 pesos. See what can be done then make a decision. One thing you can't do is kick him back onto the street after you've shown concern.
Run with it fir a few weeks, if you can't handle it then look for someone who can.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The lack of hair with no itching could be caused from lack of food which would result in a lack of vitamins. The dog sure has not been eating.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
two types of mange
demodectic - non contagious in this dog it is generalized and is a symptom of a suppressed immune system, a bitch to treat when its this bad (if that is what it is)

sarcoptic - contagious to dogs and people although it resolves in people when the dog is treated. In general it is itchy to the dog but in this case she could have demodectic mange with secondary skin infections

the vet would scrape her skin and look for the mites under a microscope
one treatment option is dipping with metaban, I personally HATE to dip because the dip itself is toxic, another option is ivermectin.

I have not had to deal with demodex in years but I lost a lovely saluki bitch to it. I know a lot more about treatment options now but at that time it was all a mess

ETA I am not a vet and your mileage may vary

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
It looks in part as mal nutrition, I rescued a german sheperd last year and after 6 month of oil in his diet, olive and regular and good dog can food with a little people food, went from bad coat to amazing soft beautifull fur, gained lots of weight and turned into a real good looking dogy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen a lot of dogs like this and to me it seems to be connected somehow to overexposure to sun. in other words - allergy.
give him some ivermectine (cheap, but a pill in any pharmacy, crash and mix with some stinky food). put on some gloves and rub into the skin some gencloben (cream with antibiotic, about 100 pesos).
get some perlas de bacalao (cheap, a peso each) and put into the foood.
he should get better in no time, poor thing :(

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
take the dog to Gisselle Santos in STI. She is a very good certified vet who also runs a shelter for stray dogs.

If you want to adopt it she will help you through her organisation to get it healthy, or otherwise she will cure it and put it up for adoption.

If you want her email and phone, pm me

Belgiank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
take the dog to Gisselle Santos in STI. She is a very good certified vet who also runs a shelter for stray dogs.

If you want to adopt it she will help you through her organisation to get it healthy, or otherwise she will cure it and put it up for adoption.

If you want her email and phone, pm me

Belgiank

If you can post the name of the vet's office and street I would appreciate it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not allowed to advertise here... lol

but a pm is on its way with the info

I understand that as long as you are not advertising for your own business it is ok and in fact I have done this probably at least 50 times or more on DR1.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Those big eyes are breaking my heart. Wish you could ship him to Canada but the poor little thing would freeze with hardly any fur. Hope you can help him out.

I agree, he needs some good nutrition too. Such a look with those eyes.

Reactions: Lucille

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I understand that as long as you are not advertising for your own business it is ok and in fact I have done this probably at least 50 times or more on DR1.

I know Chip, but I have had it with the board and its different rules for different members, so if I can help someone I will do so, so I pm'ed you the info.

I wish you the very best with the dog, and can only applaud you for doing this effort. Tell Gisselle, Peter with the Malinois recommended her...

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Chip:
I was going to say what an ugly dog...:surprised
until I saw his beautiful big eyes, asking for love and food...;)

Reactions: waytogo

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know Chip, but I have had it with the board and its different rules for different members, so if I can help someone I will do so, so I pm'ed you the info.

I wish you the very best with the dog, and can only applaud you for doing this effort. Tell Gisselle, Peter with the Malinois recommended her...

The poor phucking dog needs help, so help Chip get this dog back to health.
Just give him the contact without the added rhetoric, is that possible?

Reactions: AlterEgo

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I've picked up a dog in similar condition and after a few baths with regular shampoo and some good dry food, her hair grew back within weeks into a beautiful fur (you can get medicated shampoo for parasites too, which would be a good idea). She turned so pretty I ended up keeping her.

This dog may have Demodex parasites which would require some stronger medicated baths, but they can test for that.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
don't want to spend money.. spray him with a touch of boric acid mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar mixed with a gal. of water.

spray it on him every day and see if it clears up.

Where can you buy boric acid? I haven't been able to find it in supermarkets.

Reactions: SantiagoDR