Need help from anyone who has info on Punta Cana Princess

CoupleFromTheNorth

Nov 30, 2010
Hey everyone, nice to be on the forums, we're new here as you can see.

We're from northern Ontario in Canada and have dreamed of taking a sun\beach vacation for years now. We're a bit worried about booking something though because sometimes it's hard to see what you're going to get. I've done some research on review sites and the punta cana princess gets very good reviews but I needed some information I couldn't seem to find in reviews.

1)What kind of age groups go to this resort? I searched for an AI package from a popular selling site and made sure to check off "adults only" when I searched. Is the pincess adults only? I only ask because we are a couple without kids and would prefer going to a resort to unwind and not have to worry about kids running all over the beach doing kid things (nothing wrong with that, we're just looking for a couples trip). Also on the other end of the scale what is the average age that goes here? We're 28 years old, will we be able to find people around our age to hang out with and have fun?

2)What exactly is the "deluxe suite oceanview" if anyone knows off hand, I did some google searching but only found more packages offering this, and not really much info on what's IN the room and what "oceanview" means (does it mean you are on the ocean, or you can see the ocean...5 miles away).

3)We're thinking of going in January, I found some sites that say the best times to visit the north or south side of the island is "x" time of year, but punta cana seems to be on the side of the island, not the top or bottom. January wouldn't be a rainy season would it? Would hate to leave our -45deg temps just to land somewhere cloudy and rainy for 7 days.

If I can think of more questions I'll ask. I hope I got this in the right forum. Thanks everyone :cheeky:

CoupleFromTheNorth

Nov 30, 2010
EDIT: Upon further inspection it's actually the punta cana princess All Suites Resort & Spa. It was listed just as the "princess" but I guess it's the all suites. This is the kinda stuff we're finding hard to sift through, feels like alot of the information is hidding and you really have to read every letter in the fine print.

There are actually
4 Princess Resorts in Punta Cana

Punta Cana Princess 4 star adult only
Caribe Princess
Tropical Princess
and
Bavaro Princess All Suites

How are you booking with?
That determines the locations of your rooms.

Some tour operators have dibs on the best room locations due to the volume of Business they do.

I have been to the last 3 on the above list.

Punta Cana is on the east coast and January is prime time, not the rainy seaon.
I have been to Punta Cana 31 times and the DR 36.

Last edited:

CoupleFromTheNorth

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the information so far everyone. I guess when I said what is the deluxe oceanview, I meant what does that mean. Prices aren't a big deal right now, I'll be booking online with something like travelocity.ca (didn't want to mention the exact site at first in case it was considered advertising).

I did get one concern, a friend I spoke to who travelled to the DR years and years ago said it's a bit scary being off the resort. Something about it being under marshall law or something like that. Is that true? Overall would you find the average traveller should stick to the resort or would we be safe venturing to bars in a nearby town (if there is one). Also what is the beach like from anyone who has been to the Adult only version of the princess? I was looking at some other resorts elsewhere and people complained of there being rocks\shells all over no more than 5feet from the edge of the water and it was dangerous trying to walk out to swim. Thanks again for everyones input, this is a whole new world to us.

Gerritt_From_Canada

Nov 2, 2010
CFTN,

Firstly hello! from a fellow canuck.

I/We are 34 and from Ontario. This will be my fourth trip to PCP (Punta Cana Princess) If you are looking for a relaxing, laid back vacation without breaking the bank PCP will accommodate. The Beach is nothing short of spectacular! I can share some photos I took if it helps, The rooms are clean and comfortable.

Generally when they mention Deluxe front you have a view of the ocean.. these are the three story villas that are in a row..

There are other villas through out that offer garden views etc.

there are 4 Al a' cartes and 1 buffet, The buffet has a different theme every night, and the Al a' Cartes are TexMex, Italian, Swiss (Fondue), and a Mediterranean.

It is a nice relaxed atmosphere, without a bunch of 18 year olds puking their guts out.. for one simple reason... There is little night life after 11pm. That means no shows, no discos etc..

Having said that, by staying @ PCP you have access to the other princess resorts that have night life (if you feel like it) for free, just simply head to the main lobby and wait for the shuttle (also free) You can also eat at the other resorts restaurants (with reservation)

If I could make one suggestion, from my own experience.. Use a travel agent, as they can make requests (Not guaranteed) on you're behalf.. if you are like me I want the last building closest to the beach, on the third floor for the vaulted ceilings..

I normally use Tripcentral in person at one of their branches.

I just booked another trip for April 5th, about 1100.00 per person taxes in with insurance. The tour operator is Sunwing and with Sunwing you get a VIP package.. Bottle of rum in you're room, nice bathrobes and slippers, nightly turndown,fruit baskets, discounts on services such as the spa free cigars and free internet.

You also have a Sunwing rep onsite to help with excursion planning, or any concerns.

Going with a reputable travel agency and operator in my mind is a far better value when discount websites.

I hope I was able to answer a few of you're questions!

and let me know if I can help further.

Gerritt.

bookbox

Feb 16, 2008
We've been to Punta Cana four times and the Punta Cana Princess is our favourite hotel. It's not as big as some of the other resorts so you find your way around quickly and you get to know the staff rather than seeing different faces every day. That also means you're never too far from the beach even if you don't pay extra for a deluxe room.

The entertainment is very low key although if you want something a little louder you can always go the hotel next door.

Enjoy your holiday!