septic tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Does anyone have any information or experience with installing a septic tank and filter bed in the Dr. I haven't really noticed many firter bed. It seem that most people just dig a hole and put in cement block walls and a top. Perhaps this is why people don't put paper down the toilets Apparently in hot countries ( as opposed to cooler climates) you don't need to pump out the tank very often.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
My understanding of the no paper issue - two things small pipes (cheaper to buy) and the older TP did not disintegrate like the new paper does today.

because the paper has changed dramatically I am told it will not clog the pipes so flush away.............;);)

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Depends on the soil.

Filtrantes are not uncommon in septic systems but it really depends on the soil conditions where the septic will be located, and of course of the knowledge of the installer.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
No toilet paper is becuse the pipes are too small and cog up. New constuction usually has "normal" pipes so paper is ok.
Secondly depending on location and size of the house your are building you may be required to put in a 4 chamber system and not two.

Bob K

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
No toilet paper is becuse the pipes are too small and cog up. New constuction usually has "normal" pipes so paper is ok.
Secondly depending on location and size of the house your are building you may be required to put in a 4 chamber system and not two.

Bob K

Thanks . This is very interesting. Where I live I don't think there is much regulation. I haven't heard of a 4 chamber system and was wondering if you had any info. on that. I have only hear about a standard two chamber system.

I was planning on putting in a tile bed. I don't think they have ever seen one where I live in the campo. Probably they just dig a hole and put in block walls.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Just make sure whomever you get to do it knows what they're doing. The house I stayed at in August, beautiful place owned by a Dominican and American couple has a pool house which I had the pleasure of staying in :tired:. Gorgeous inground pool in the back yard... anyhow, I woke up and the toilet had backed up all over the apartment, there was 3 inches of rainwater in the bedroom and I could hear the housekeeper saying por que la piscina amarillo? Aparently the system was poorly installed and the grading of the soil etc... wasn't sufficient to give proper drainage...so everytime it rains significantly the septic backs up....We ended up baithing in a bucket for the rest of the week. LOL

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There's a few reasons why septic systems fail but typically it's poor design failing to take into account the water table, soils or surface drainage.

Status
Not open for further replies.