should we bring computers from usa or buy there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
I have two Dominican Young Men who we have been working with for years. We have opened Banco accounts for the to save their money. They now have decided to purchase computers with the money they have saved.

Should I buy the laptops in the States or buy them in Puerto Plata. We are in Cabarete. Are there any large dealers in DR for this type of thing?

Will the laptops work in the DR of we buy them in the States.

Please, if anyone has any experience in this matter please fill me in.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Shooter.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
United States all the way. If you can go to Newegg. Or try to find a deal on slickdeals.net

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'd suggest also purchasing a good power surge protector while in the US.

All of this is available in the DR, but the costs are greater. If you're already planning to visit the US, then purchase it there and carry it back.

And don't forget that there is an import tax holiday - or whatever it's called - taking place until Christmas.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I was in the US this past summer, I bought a laptop and brought it back. Works fine; makes no difference where you bought the computer when you connect to the internet.

As was indicated by a previous poster, the answer to where to buy the computer depends somewhat on how you would get it to the DR. If you or someone you know can bring it with them to the DR, then no question, buy in the US. If you are going to have to pay shipping, then you want to do a cost comparison. You may find that it costs more, with shipping added, than to buy here.

One thing to remember about buying in the US is that the warranty you get there is of little value here.

If you decide to buy here, shop around, including in Santiago.

Reactions: waytogo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The tax holiday is irrelevant, and only applies to dominicans anyway. As long as it isn't in the original box, they won't charge customs on a laptop.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
I am in the us now and was planning on purchasing it here since we will be going to Cabarete and there are not stores there. I am not sure if Puerto Plata has one.

The surge protector is an awesome idea because the power goes out all the time there.
I was going to put them in my check baggage? Right? the reason I was going to do that was because I am going to be bringing my laptop and my husband will be bringing his.

It might look funny both of us bringing in 4 laptops.

Any suggestions?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I am in the us now and was planning on purchasing it here since we will be going to Cabarete and there are not stores there. I am not sure if Puerto Plata has one.

The surge protector is an awesome idea because the power goes out all the time there.
I was going to put them in my check baggage? Right? the reason I was going to do that was because I am going to be bringing my laptop and my husband will be bringing his.

Any suggestions?

Bring them in with your carry on (or as your personal item). I've brought two computers in my carry on luggage many times. After you take them out for the security screening no one will see them again. If they do you could say that one belongs to the company you work for and one is yours personally, although I've never had to make this claim so I don't know how it would work. As far as the surge protector it is possible that you might have to have a ground wire run to the outlet you use, for it to work correctly.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The tax holiday is irrelevant, and only applies to dominicans anyway. As long as it isn't in the original box, they won't charge customs on a laptop.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was going to take advantage of it for a couple of other things, so now I'll hold off on those purchases while in the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Any suggestions?

I would bring them in my carry on, and if questioned say they are gifts or for business purposes. I brought 3 laptops and a 19 inch flatscreen in my carry on with any issues.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for clarifying that. I was going to take advantage of it for a couple of other things, so now I'll hold off on those purchases while in the US.

I'm not sure it has been accurately clarified.

I recall the item in the dr1 news very recently, but seem to remember it was for foreigners who had not traveled to the the DR in past 6 months. I don't recall it saying it applied only to Dominicans.

Can we get that news item reposted?

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Do your Dominican friends speak English? If they are only spanish speaking, and you buy the laptops in the US, do not forget to try to get the Windows operating system and other programs like microsoft office installed in Spanish.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
Oh yes, they speak English. We have sent them to school and are hoping they will use the laptops as a learning tool along with all the games I am sure they will play. We have enjoyed the work and watching their growth. I wish I spoke Spanish as well as they speak English.

Please do not stop with the suggestions however, I want to make sure I am going about this without a hitch.

I do remember bringing a movie dvd from the States, the last visit and it would not play on their laptop. Someone in the village had one and we thought we would have a movie night to no avail.

So you can see where my concerns stem from initially.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Oh yes, they speak English. We have sent them to school and are hoping they will use the laptops as a learning tool along with all the games I am sure they will play. We have enjoyed the work and watching their growth. I wish I spoke Spanish as well as they speak English.

Please do not stop with the suggestions however, I want to make sure I am going about this without a hitch.

I do remember bringing a movie dvd from the States, the last visit and it would not play on their laptop. Someone in the village had one and we thought we would have a movie night to no avail.

So you can see where my concerns stem from initially.

DVDs are an entirely different matter. Very likely their computer would only accept CDs. This is common, especially on the budget computers that many Dominicans buy.

But there is no reason to be concerned about a computer. If it will connect to the internet in the US, it will connect to the US here.

Jan 9, 2004
Never.....Never....

Any suggestions?

put electronics of any kind in your checked baggage. The stories here and elsewhere are full of "lost" laptops, cellphones, that were put into checked baggage.

Much has been written and discussed here about "gifts" and "computers" that supposedly can enter the D.R. "duty free" or under a returning Dominican residents annual pilgrimage during the holiday.

I am sure there is a law for this......but how and when and where enforced is an entirely other matter.

Bottom line, bring them in your carryon luggage. Chances are you will not be subjected to a search....if you look like tourists. That having been said, there is a space on the Aduana declaration page information form to list those items....ignore listing them at your own peril......but in my 40+ entries into the country....I have never had my luggage searched.

Finally, I concur with HB about dealnews.com. A fantastic site that coordinates deals from all the major retailers and provides great pricing comparisons. I have made three purchases through them in the last 3 weeks....one of which I will put in my "carryon" ;) for my trip to the D.R. later this month.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
dealnews.com has an ASUS 15.2" laptop for 400 bucks!!! FWIW: I often travel with two laptops in a case...(when I travel, that is...) No problems at all.

Somehow, being a curmudgeon, I wonder about casting pearls before swine, but to each his own...Have to applaud the good people and the optimism.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.