Sosua mayor breaks ground on oceanfront park...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As another step in her attempt to revitalize Sosua as a tourist destination, the mayor has broken ground on an oceanfront park in El Batey. The park will be dedicated to the 600 Jews who arrived in Sosua at the start of WWII.

The park will include a landscaped viewing area where one can see Mt Isabel de Torres, plexiglass railing, parking, restaurant and a stairway down to the beach. The mayor, Juan Perdomo, and a representative spoke during the ceremony. Completion is slated for first quarter 2011.

5228781025_3aca30fb04_o.jpg

5228782467_49206435a8_z.jpg

5229375026_d777dd0eb0_o.jpg

sacandomelao: Alcaldesa Sos?a da primer picazo parque

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
so the hookers have a new place to meet with their clients. great idea.

Very constructive input, thanks!
The land right now is just a parking lot, I hope the Chicken Cordon Bleau guy gets a new spot.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
it's a nice spot with great view... but sitting there right now in or on your car gets old fast. but with a few trees for shade, the benches as shown... could become a nice place to stroll to watch the beach during the day or sunset in the evening.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Fix the hole besides Harrison's first....do something about the building across the street from Harrison's second. It's going to take them a while to revitalize this S***hole of a town. I would still like to know where all these tourists are going to come from and why they will come to Sosua over the other locations in the DR or other islands available to them.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, where is this?

The parking lot to the left of the Waterfront restaurant, you need to leave La Puntilla once in a while Ken!

Gee, what a coincidence Juan Perdomo is involved, wasn't there talk of a Perdomo development of The Waterfront condos, what ever happened to that project?

I can't wait to see who is going to develop the "Big Dig" across from the Shark Bar, maybe they will rebuild Marinaros and bring Sosua back to its original luster?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The parking lot to the left of the Waterfront restaurant, you need to leave La Puntilla once in a while Ken!

Gee, what a coincidence Juan Perdomo is involved, wasn't there talk of a Perdomo development of The Waterfront condos, what ever happened to that project?

I can't wait to see who is going to develop the "Big Dig" across from the Shark Bar, maybe they will rebuild Marinaros and bring Sosua back to its original luster?

I know that parking lot and have walked there many times. Just wasn't sure which parking lot was being discussed.

Re Perdomo, the parking lot is in front of a Perdomo condo project and I believe he is building another behind it. I don't know who owns the land, but if it isn't Perdomo and he can't build on it, I am sure he thinks putting a city park there is the best possible use of that land.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
This is a very special and beautiful spot.
It was cleared for this park about 3 years ago but then nothing had been done.
I believe public parks are very important and I love them.
This should / could be a wonderful one.
Mayor Ilana has already improved the little public park with the flags (by Bailey's restaurant) which was really decrepit before she took office.
Sosua is a unique city in the Dominican Republic (and a wonderful one for those of us who love it). I always felt that this has something to do with its utterly unique origins. It is great and fitting to have a park celebrating this.
PS
I am always very surprised when I talk with a local Dominican and they are not aware of the unique origins of Sosua.

Reactions: mike l

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
monte llano also has some nice public areas and green areas, funnily enough it was another lady mayor that got this done

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Correction to my previous post. Las Terrazas, the condominium facing the parking lot/park is a Perdomo project. The new condominium behind Las Terrazas is a Hispaniola project.

If this new park has steps to the beach, as the news report indicates, this will be a very popular park, especially for Dominicans who are denied access to so much beach on the North Coast.

HS10, no question the park by Baileys is looking much better. The previous mayor built the park, then did nothing to maintain it. It is now an asset to that small commercial area.

Reactions: mike l

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It is so nice that the mayor is paying tribute to her ancestors with the park..It is a good idea, but will not be a reason for people to come to Sosua in droves..

Just think about it..Honey, do you want to go to Punta Cana with the nice white beaches? Or do you want to go see that great Park in Sosua? and we can stroll down the streets of Sosua and visit those nice bars and clubs with those ugly windows and big red curtains..:ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is so nice that the mayor is paying tribute to her ancestors with the park..It is a good idea, but will not be a reason for people to come to Sosua in droves..

Just think about it..Honey, do you want to go to Punta Cana with the nice white beaches? Or do you want to go see that great Park in Sosua? and we can stroll down the streets of Sosua and visit those nice bars and clubs with those ugly windows and big red curtains..:ermm:

Don't worry RSG, you'll still be able to get a hummer in your car while watching the sun set over Mt. Isabella. One day you'll need to decide, Monger or Expat?

Reactions: Bronxboy

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This will be like El Flow only ocean front.

I like to enjoy the view like everyone else and when I do go I can't help but notice how many locals do as well. !

I think it will be great with all of the SUV's with surround soud speakers...hope they sell BBQ Chicken.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
I think the park is a great idea if it is maintained. Ocean front tourist towns need to make good use of their ocean front, and a parking lot is not good use.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think the park is a great idea if it is maintained. Ocean front tourist towns need to make good use of their ocean front, and a parking lot is not good use.

Playa Alecia has only been there for about 7 years.
It has been an ugly oceanfront parking lot for over 20 years, where do you suggest folks park to go to Playa Alecia?

I do not see the major issue here with a few palm trees and an oceanfront Cafe.

How about something constructive for a change, I am yet to see you post anything positive.

Oct 11, 2010
Great News For Sosua

I just found out today about this park. This is GREAT NEWS for Sosua!!! I remember when there was no beach there and just deep water. Everyone would jump off the rock cliffs into the ocean. We had some great times over there. Unfortunately it just turned into a parking lot, but the location is excellent for this planned park. This may not seem like a big deal but I think it is a huge step in the right direction.

This is a great spot to relax at sunset and have a beer or cocktail while the sun is setting behind Puerto Plata. The view of the sunset from this spot is phenomenal!! The beach that has formed there is one of the best beaches in Sosua. It is all smooth sand, no rocks and very little current. There is a constant flow of clean ocean water so there is no garbage on the beach. With direct access to the beach and good maintenance this spot will only benefit Sosua, great for both locals and tourists.

I really don't think they are going to allow the SUV's or whoever else is parking there to start blasting their music. I would assume if they are going to the trouble of constructing this park they are going to regulate what goes on there. The value of the condos at Las Terrazas will certainly go up once the park is finished.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Status
Not open for further replies.