Passport Renewal in Santiago

david123

Dec 7, 2010
My wife is a Dominican citizen. We live in the USA. We are planning to visit Santiago for about 8 days in January. Her Dominican Passport has been expired for 2 years. Could we renew her passport in Santiago? How can I get in touch with someone who helps others while charging a standard fee?

I am a new member. The purpose of our visit is to explore the possibility of retiring in Santiago. I have been very impressed by the contributions of hill billy and others on this Board. Thanks

Nov 25, 2008
Your way better off renewing it in the US, If you came here your going to spend a couple of days [vacation time] just solving your passport problem,
remember your not in Kansas anymore once you step into the DR passport renewal system.

david123

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks, Jorge.
The nearest Dominican Consulate is 800 miles. There were people who were willing to do most the paper work and charge a nominal fee. Are they still around?

Thanks

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Thanks, Jorge.
The nearest Dominican Consulate is 800 miles. There were people who were willing to do most the paper work and charge a nominal fee. Are they still around?

Thanks

If they allow her to get in the plane with an expired passport, she can pay the passport fee in Santiago, and go with the receipt to the passport office in Puerto Plata. In Puerto Plata she will get the passport the same day, if she pays VIP service, and you can go to the beach in the same trip ;).

That's what my family do if they need a passport right away.

david123

Dec 7, 2010
I didn't reallize that they could prevent her from travelling to D.R. if her Dominican passport is expired. Please comment.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
An American wanting to fly to the US would have a tough time if passport expired.

You better check on this before you go to the airport.

david123

Dec 7, 2010
Thank you for all these helpful replies. I called the Spirit Airlines and they told me that she cannot not travel with an expired passport. I have decided to renew her passport in U.S.. We cannot take chances with airlines these days. The penalty for missing a flight is very heavy.
Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Check this thread below, many dominicans have come home with expired passports. You may want to check with your airline well before your travel date. Many countries let their citizens back home with expired passports, you just can't leave with one.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/24341-expired-dr-passport.html

I know your intended to help by posting the link to this thread, but it is a 2002-3 thread. Homeland security rules are much stricter today and screening is not nearly as casual as it was then.

I know my passport gets a lot closer attention now than it did then.