The DR needs more people like...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
...Juan Hubiere a diputado who returned his RD430,000 Xmas bonus money.

Juan Hubiere devuelve RD$430 mil en bonos - DiarioLibre.com

showimage.php

Con gente asi hay esperanza aun. Que dios le bendiga.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Those bonuses that the Diputados get every year are really such a wrong move. The Diputados trickle down these gifts to the campaign helpers but from what I hear the really needy, who are suppose to get these gifts, hardly ever do.

This guy refused his gift worth thousands of pesos because he didn't agree with the budget decisions but someone also complaint about him, saying he had asked for a ridiculous raise for his people. I do like that at least he raise awareness on certain issues in his provincia and how the chamber works.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I didn't see the part about that he asked for a raise. If I had I wouldn't have posted this, oh well rayos.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I didn't see the part about that he asked for a raise. If I had I wouldn't have posted this, oh well rayos.

No, is ok, like I said at least he brought certain things to public light,.

?No es ?tico, no es digno ni honesto recibir mas de un mill?n de pesos, incluido mis salarios, aun sea para repartirlo entre compa?eros de mi provincia, sobre todo cuando el gobierno no ha querido incluir una sola obra para mis municipios y mas cuando se argumenta que no hay dinero para un ?rea vital como el cuatro por ciento para la educaci?n nacional?, se?al? Hubieres

Hubieres devuelve bonos por RD$430 mil y causa revuelo en el Congreso - List?n Diario Digital

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Chip come on you have lived in The DR enough now to know who this guy is. The DR definitely does NOT need people like him. He's the Jimmy Hoffa on the DR. This is just a stunt. For years almost every time there were transportation strikes he was the one behind them. He's also the main character responsible for the fact that companies cannot use their own trucks or have a choice to hire whomever they want to transport their goods (thus costing Dominicans more money).

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Chip come on you have lived in The DR enough now to know who this guy is. The DR definitely does NOT need people like him. He's the Jimmy Hoffa on the DR. This is just a stunt. For years almost every time there were transportation strikes he was the one behind them. He's also the main character responsible for the fact that companies cannot use their own trucks or have a choice to hire whomever they want to transport their goods (thus costing Dominicans more money).

Ahhh I was wondering why one of the diputados said something about burning buses with zona franca workers inside.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've lived here for 5 years but only in the last year have I started reading the news. Honestly it only depressed me before but I do it anyway now since I want to know what's going on.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
The last thing We need is another Hubieres.
Of course I would return a million if I have taken 100's millions from the goverment.
Puro populismo barato

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Hubieres has been accused of burning buses carrying hard working people to the free zones/factories. He?s also been involved with or suspected of killing bus drivers of competing bus syndicates.

As someone already mentioned, this is just a ploy. He?s not a very good man.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

showimage.php

This is the guy that used to hold the country to ransom with the transport unions. I wonder if he has pocketed anything over the years in some of those "doggy" non-payable transport loans??? Or the handouts under Leonel in 1996-2000 to keep the peace. Maybe that's why he doesn't want the xmas bonus.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

showimage.php

That's a shame for the country that a single diputado has a a Crhistmas bonus of an amount of almost half millions Pesos when so many people are starving in the island.
Leonel is responsible for that as he was the one who raised theses salaries de esa forma desorbitante.

JJ

Mar 1, 2009
More people like this clown, hell no!!! We need people like Jordi Veras, Cerito y Cruz, Dario Moreno, Pelegrin Castillo Seman, Carlos Morales Troncoso, the dude from los derechos humano's. We need honest, hard working people who won't steal, cheat, kill and lie anymore to get what they want. We need all the genuine people who wore yellow to continue pressuring the government.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
More people like this clown, hell no!!! We need people like Jordi Veras, Cerito y Cruz, Dario Moreno, Pelegrin Castillo Seman, Carlos Morales Troncoso, the dude from los derechos humano's. We need honest, hard working people who won't steal, cheat, kill and lie anymore to get what they want. We need all the genuine people who wore yellow to continue pressuring the government.

pues, por supuesto compadre

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well his actions did shed a little light into a dark corner

from DR1 news

A total of RD$78.6 million was disbursed by the Chamber of Deputies for delivery of bonuses for the legislators. The money will be used for charitable donations during the Christmas holidays. Each year the Chamber of Deputies hands out bonuses, in addition to basic family food basket items to all the political parties represented in the chamber for this purpose. Each deputy received RD$430,000 in bonus money, funds that many legislators argue that are used to help pay for their supporters' Christmas dinner across the country. Traditionally, the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate deliver Christmas baskets to the legislators. Since 2008, it has been the custom to present the bonus money with which they can satisfy their constituents' demands.

The bonus money is an additional benefit, since each deputy receives a base salary of RD$175,000, and a 13th salary (the "regalia" or double salary). At the end of their period, even though they have never attended a single session of the chamber, they are guaranteed the same base salary for life. Moreover, the deputies are assigned the following fixed items: representation expenses - RD$35,000, per diems - RD$45,000 and social funding - RD$50,000. This all adds up to RD$392,000 per month per deputy.

On the question of the bonus money that was returned by Deputy Juan Hubieres, this is the first time that such a thing has happened in the history of Congress, and his attitude did not go down well with his fellow party members. Deputy Ruben Maldonado went so far as to remind Hubieres that at a meeting he had expressed "his desire to receive the bonus money, due to the commitments that he had with many of his constituents". This affirmation was not refuted by Hubieres, who defined himself as the salmon swimming against the current, "and I will listen to each and everyone. We have a salary and what we have established is enough. And we decided not to accept or use the bonus money, the cash, or the other things as a matter of conscience".

NOTE this pecularity

At the end of their period, even though they have never attended a single session of the chamber, they are guaranteed the same base salary for life

Perhaps someone might investigate just HOW much money is being paid out there..... and where that is vis a vis the education budget?

This would seem to be one perk that could be taken away, no?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Then... no one would want to be a legislator... except for the ones who aren't in it for the money - PERFECT SOLUTION.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since they are getting about US $11,000 a MONTH while they serve... it would seem that salary would be enough! since the base salary is about $4860... one would think that a regular social security deduction from that would be sufficient.

For the legislators to receive FULL pay for the REST OF THEIR LIVES?????????

after two years???????

how do they get away with this one?

not even the US Congress gets anything like this.

US Congressmen and Senators are paid $174, 000 a year.

What is it like in Europe?

Salaries and Benefits of U.S. Congress Members

Members of Congress are not eligible for a pension until they reach the age of 50, but only if they've completed 20 years of service. Members are eligible at any age after completing 25 years of service or after they reach the age of 62. Please also note that Member's of Congress have to serve at least 5 years to even receive a pension.

The amount of a Congressperson's pension depends on the years of service and the average of the highest 3 years of his or her salary. By law, the starting amount of a Member's retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final salary.

According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, 290 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Well his actions did shed a little light into a dark corner

from DR1 news

NOTE this pecularity

Atthe end of their period, even though they have never attended a single session of the chamber, they are guaranteed the same base salary for life

Perhaps someone might investigate just HOW much money is being paid out there..... and where that is vis a vis the education budget?

This would seem to be one perk that could be taken away, no?

What? !!!!!!!!!!!!!:surprised

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i did not know the dude but my first thought after reading chip's post was, sadly: the bastard hubiere stole so much that 430k is for him worth less than a spit.
i just do not trust politicians as a breed, if you get my drift. a good one is as rare as a diamond in a pile of guano...