Older Men Dating Younger Women - Moral Implications??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
In some cultures (the Dominican Republic among them) it is at least somewhat common and normal for an older Man to date a younger Woman. And in other cultures (the USA among them) this is something reproachable, and not as accepted.

What are the reasons behind why it is accepted some places, but not in others??
What are the underlying principles as to why some view it as 'ok', and other view it as unacceptable??

As a very unfortunate example -
http://www.dr1.com/forums/central/109519-what-happened-jarabacoa-disco.html

There are logically arguments and points of view supporting either side, pro or con, so what are they??

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
In some cultures (the Dominican Republic among them) it is at least somewhat common and normal for an older Man to date a younger Woman. And in other cultures (the USA among them) this is something reproachable, and not as accepted.

Are you sure about that?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have yet to find a culture where dating a younger women is not accepted (especially when money is in the mix). By younger, I mean 20+...

Reactions: SantiagoDR
May 29, 2006
I still go by the divide by half and add 7 method for maximum age differences for the most part.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The problems start when people are born. One likes this and the other likes that and the third thinks one is better than the other and the one who thinks he has less wants more and there is a conflict and the problem is called the problem when its people that made the problem and you can't blame people and absolutely not yourself so there is something wrong out there with the actions of others and so you make laws to impose your views and opinions on others and then society and people change and laws that sent people to prison are repealed and new laws are made and people end up waiting in long boring lines to get a stinking government document that says they can marry someone they are in love with so they feel that it's ok to force others to live the way they do and acting against the current views and opinions are punished severely and finally you get old after working a full life and say my reward is in heaven...

If you read all that....why???? LOL

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Are you sure about that?

Uhhmmm........yep. I'm sure. Dating a younger person with that big of an age difference is NOT accepted in the States as something 'ok' and acceptable. That does not mean that it never happens of course. However, it is not just a 'to each his own' type of situation. It is looked down on and questionable and in some cases perverse. It is no coincidence why the US laws on Sex with minors are so explicit, extensive and fiercely enforced. Ever heard of the saying "robbing the cradle"?, "Chester"(the child molester) Ever heard of the Sex Offenders Registry?? All of those laws point back at the general rejection in American society of older Men dating much younger Women. Now, I'm not saying its better or worse, right or wrong. But I do know that it is not accepted like it is in other places.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

What are the underlying principles as to why some view it as 'ok', and other view it as unacceptable??

There are logically arguments and points of view supporting either side, pro or con, so what are they??

In the USA(NOW) there is supposed to be equality of the genders so therefore a male should search for a female his own age to consort with. That seldom happens because of the careers that men and women choose. As she gets older her career moves in a higher trajectory than his does(using 2010 as my basis) and therefore they dont tend to move in similar circles and dont match or meet as often.

In the past, it was the same everywhere.

The difference in age meant the older man was more established in his career enabling him to support his wife, children and home. The younger woman was to be assured that she was in the prime of her fertility to reproduce. Thats pretty much it. All of this inherently concludes the woman isnt supposed to work, she is supposed to be at home at the beck and call of the man, cooking, cleaning and general all around domestication.

Granted this is for an average age difference, about 10 years for example a 37 year old man with a 26 year old woman. I cant speak to older pairings like a 69 year old guy with a 20 year old woman. But all in all its not all about age. I know many woman in the low 40s who would love a man to have their own. So if he was 70 or so, it really wouldnt bother them.

Of course there are $$$ issues I didnt talk about.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I still go by the divide by half and add 7 method for maximum age differences for the most part.

Were your ancestors also the ones that gave us the 10% calculation for donations?

Or the 15% calculation for tips at a restaurant?

Why should I tip more for ordering a steak instead of a hamburger?
Do they watch what I order and give me service accordingly?

I just love when "others" calculate what they think I should do!

Adults DON'T have to agree to your calculation (Rules) of acceptable age differences.

dzcmqd.jpg

33kygdk.gif
33kygdk.gif
33kygdk.gif
33kygdk.gif
33kygdk.gif

There is no Pro/Con, it's up to the two parties invoved to decide.

D in Santiago

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Say what...... I cannot understand how a man 60 years old or plus could even think of dating a woman older than 25. No $$ involved. Maybe long term but isn't that the case with all of them. :) I'm getting killed for this post.

Reactions: waytogo and Berzin

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Uhhmmm........yep. I'm sure. Dating a younger person with that big of an age difference is NOT accepted in the States as something 'ok' and acceptable.

That does not mean that it never happens of course. However, it is not just a 'to each his own' type of situation. It is looked down on and questionable and in some cases perverse.

It is no coincidence why the US laws on Sex with minors are so explicit, extensive and fiercely enforced. Ever heard of the saying "robbing the cradle"?, "Chester"(the child molester) Ever heard of the Sex Offenders Registry??

All of those laws point back at the general rejection in American society of older Men dating much younger Women. Now, I'm not saying its better or worse, right or wrong. But I do know that it is not accepted like it is in other places.

You're talking about laws that are on the books to combat sexual predators who target children.

This has nothing to do with older men dating younger women. As long as they are WOMEN and not girls under the age of 18.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah

Say what...... I cannot understand how a man 60 years old or plus could even think of dating a woman older than 25. No $$ involved. Maybe long term but isn't that the case with all of them. :) I'm getting killed for this post.

Damn straight Eddy,
Unless they are short of breath!
After all, abstinence is the greatest of all aberrations!
Live and this thread is to important to be taken seriously,
however it's fun to play.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
You're talking about laws that are on the books to combat sexual predators who target children.

This has nothing to do with older men dating younger women. As long as they are WOMEN and not girls under the age of 18.

Yes, but as I mentioned those laws reflect the general perception and thoughts on it in society. Naturally when the girl is MUCH younger says a teen, then its MUCH more controversial. But its the age gap that is looked down upon, not just the age of the participants. If its 65 and 18, or 75 or 28 or 85 and 38 it would ALL be looked at very questionably. Remember the whole Woody Allen, Mia Farrow and Soon Yi fiasco??? If age difference was common and accepted, nobody would have even bothered. But, it is one of the biggest celebrity scandals of all time. Any relationship like that, with that big of an age difference is not considered normal to most Americans.

Reactions: waytogo

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Bonsoir Jean Pierre,
Sa Va?
Are we bored, or doing social studies?
Underlying principles, Unacceptable????
Why not do what makes you happy....don't worry!!! It's all right!

Logical arguments??????
If you try to intellectualize sex it does not make much sense, just let out your Tigre and have some fun before you die, she may be 26 or 66 or older or younger .......what a conundrum.
Salut

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: waytogo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, but as I mentioned those laws reflect the general perception and thoughts on it in society.

No it doesn't. It reflects a society's desire to protect children from sexual predators.

Naturally when the girl is MUCH younger says a teen, then its MUCH more controversial.

Again, no. It's not controversial. IT IS ILLEGAL if she is under the age of 18.

But its the age gap that is looked down upon, not just the age of the participants. If its 65 and 18, or 75 or 28 or 85 and 38 it would ALL be looked at very questionably. Remember the whole Woody Allen, Mia Farrow and Soon Yi fiasco??? If age difference was common and accepted, nobody would have even bothered. But, it is one of the biggest celebrity scandals of all time. Any relationship like that, with that big of an age difference is not considered normal to most Americans.

You are confusing deviant sexual behavior with something else. Woody Allen wasn't scandalized because he was having a relationship with a younger woman. It was because Soon Yi was his wife's adopted daughter.

If you do not understand the difference between age differential relationships and this kind of perverse behavior, there's nothing anyone can do to help you here.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.