taxi to lifestyle tropical resort and spa from pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_vodka

Dec 12, 2010
Hi all. I am flying into POP today and keep reading different and conflicting information about taxi rates from the airport to lifestyle. Does anyone have an rather recent price range?

I have seen everything from a couple hundred RD to 45 US.

Please help.

:-(

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I was at the airport yesterday and I believe the posted rate was $45. And that is for up to 4 people and luggage. Does not include tip if you are so inclined

Bob K

mr_vodka

Dec 12, 2010
Returned

Hi i just got back from my trip. Just wanted to report that I paid $30 ( family of 4 ) to the resort after some negotiating at the airport. However, on the return I had no choice but to pay the standard $45 as the hotel called the cab.

:bunny:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Because of the taxi union all the hotels use taxis that pretty much adhere to the posted rates.

canadandy

Apr 17, 2008
Like most airports the taxis are very expensive. You're basically paying them for the time they sit around waiting for the flights to arrive. The best option I've found is arranging a friend(or someone you know) to pick you up. Of course that means you need to know someone; sorry tourists!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi i just got back from my trip. Just wanted to report that I paid $30 ( family of 4 ) to the resort after some negotiating at the airport. However, on the return I had no choice but to pay the standard $45 as the hotel called the cab.

:bunny:

How did you like the hotel mr_vodka?

AE

Expat

Dec 28, 2010
From Puerto Plata airport to Cabarete it is around $30 - $35 US. I would arrange him to pick you up and grab his mobile on return to the airport.

Mahogany

Sep 3, 2005
Taxi

I usually call Jose Luzon at 809 767-4131. He is a taxi driver, and he meets me at the airport and takes me anywhere I want to go. His rates are the best in town. $200 pesos between Puerto Plata and Sosua. I think he charged about $350 pesos from Sosua to Cofresi (Lifestyles).

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I usually call Jose Luzon at 809 767-4131. He is a taxi driver, and he meets me at the airport and takes me anywhere I want to go. His rates are the best in town. $200 pesos between Puerto Plata and Sosua. I think he charged about $350 pesos from Sosua to Cofresi (Lifestyles).
I find this difficult to believe. Is he registered as a charity? Even the publicos charge a minimum of RD$400 from Sosua to Puerto Plata if hired for private use. Normal taxis ask between RD$600 and RD$900.

I would like to see others' feedback on this service. If they independently confirm Mahogany's post I will be more than happy to post a grovelling apology!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007

this has to be an exageration... it will cost almost that for gas.. i think your memory is lacking

Mahogany

Sep 3, 2005
Taxi costs

Well, I was last in the DR in July of this year, and that is what he was charging. He even took me all the way from Sosua to a place inland from Rio San Juan for about $80 Canadian which is significantly less than any other taxi service that I have found.

He is very polite and picks me up anywhere I ask and drops me right where I need to go. His car is very clean. He even lent me his car once to drive somewhere that he was not allowed to go in his cab.

When a friend was buying a crib for her in-laws, he came and picked us up at La Sirena and even brought tie-downs for the boxes and mattress so that we could get them to the in-laws house. It was very thoughtful of him, and he obviously had to swing by his house between runs to get the tie-downs because he had the foresight to know that we would need them and that the in-laws probably would not have thought ahead about how they were going to get the crib, etc. home.

You don't get that kind of service every day.

Mahogany

Sep 3, 2005
Taxi costs

Oh, and I should mention too that the day before my friend was leaving, she mentioned that she would like to be picked up a little early and to have him take her to a local market to buy some fresh avocados to take home to Canada. He said that he would take care of it. The next day when he came to pick her up, he had brought her a large bag of avocados and a small one of mangos and would not take any money for them. He said they were a gift that he had picked off his own trees.

He is worth checking out if you need reliable transportation. You don't need to believe me and no apologies are necessary when you find out that my memory is accurate.

When he drove me to that airport a week after my friend left, he thanked me for letting him drive me around! And he told me that thanks to my friend and I he was able to buy the new tires he needed on his cab because the old ones were bad and needed replacing.

Note also, that we were tipping for his services and so he was making enough money - or he wouldn't have been taking our business.

Status
Not open for further replies.