Old Street Names

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
I would like to know the original street name of the Avenida Hermanas Mirabal, in Santiago, Dr.

I would appreciate it if I can be pointed to a site or document or book that could answer that for me.

Gracias.:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not going to bet the farm on this but I "think" that it was Las Carreras, all the way to the river. And when they redid it, from the roundabout to the river became Hermanas Mirabal.

Like I think..

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
hillbilly - you're right! there's a sign on the wall of one of the buildings there. i had wondered the same thing because it's not been mirabal very long. i don't know of any books, but if you go to the ayuntamiento, they have old maps.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hold on!!! Av. las carreras was extended during balaguer's period as I remember it used to ends at the interception of Calle espana where all those big tobacco deposit waterhouse used to be in the 1970s.
I can clearly remember that Av. Imbert used to have a contination all the way to the Calle 30 de Marzo by the time cars use to run in the opposite direction in this and in most of the important streets of the city including Calle del Sol and Restauracion..

I will asked my mother she must know as she used to work in a buildind located a Hnas Mirabal back in the 70s.

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The original name of Av. Hermanas Mirabal was Generalisimo Trujillo. The street was built during his regime. El Jefe built a nice home in this street to move one of his wives "Josefina Ramirez" the prettiest woman in town by the time...I know this lady very well as she is the aunt of my ex wife, she still looks pretty on her 70s.
I'm sure Hillbilly knows who I'm talking about as she lives a couple blocks from his huose.

JJ

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Ciudad Trujillo

Reminded me that I was born in Ciudad Trujillo--now back to being Santo Domingo.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
The original name of Av. Hermanas Mirabal was Generalisimo Trujillo. The street was built during his regime. El Jefe built a nice home in this street to move one of his wives "Josefina Ramirez" the prettiest woman in town by the time...I know this lady very well as she is the aunt of my ex wife, she still looks pretty on her 70s.
I'm sure Hillbilly knows who I'm talking about as she lives a couple blocks from his huose.

JJ

That is what I had figured, that all the streets named Hermanas Mirabal were previously named for Trujillo or something to do with him or his family.