Changes in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
In light of another thread about controversial changes Sosua is undergoing, I thought it fair and appropriate to inform readers about some changes of a different kind.

Centro Medico Cabarete, CMC, has now been open for one year. The first few months were rocky until a complete team of doctors were on board, insurance was accepted, and processes and procedures soundly established. Now, on any given day, most, if not all, beds are full, doctors have a full patient load, operations are performed, and much medical testing takes place.

Secondly, the City Market has opened its doors. This is a full service grocery store, not too different than markets in large developed countries. Aisles are wide. Shelves are fully stocked with local and imported foods from around the world. Lights are bright. There is a cafe for those who would like to sit, have a cup of coffee, talk, or browse the internet. A complete bakery is on site, as is a butcher. Customer service is as good as anyone can expect. Several times, I have asked them to stock a certain item, and within days, there it is on the shelf.

And finally, I noticed an "Open" sign on the big orange building on the right hand side of the main road going out of Sosua, towards Cabarete. I have no idea of the name of the business, but I pulled into the parking lot and went inside to see just what it is. It's a large hardware store, much like Bellon was in Santiago. The shelves are not yet completely full, but they have everything from motor bikes to bicycles, to inverters, to paint, to appliances and electronics, and even a second floor of indoor and outdoor furniture, all a nice quality.

I believe all three businesses are owned by professionals who have the funds to withstand hard times and knowledge of how to run a business and provide the type of customer service expected by ex-pats.

I also believe that these businesses are evidence that Sosua is not a dying town. It will survive, and given time, thrive even more than it is now.

I wish these investors all the best of luck, as I feel fortunate to have these new businesses part of my community.

Lindsey

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Here's more proof that Sosua is "New and Improved":

f1jj3q.jpg

...all you can eat DONUTS!!! :bunny:

Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
Can you please give me the name and address of the new grocer in Sosua? I would like to take a family from Cabarete shopping there when I visit next week. Thank you.

Aug 21, 2007
It's called the City Market. It's across from Ocean Village on the main road. Used to be the Dollar Store.

Lindsey

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Tried to find Sosua Ocean Village on a map, but my map puts it in Cabarete. I think my map must be wrong?

Also...all you can eat donut holes....heheheh I bet there is an unlimited supply of those!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tried to find Sosua Ocean Village on a map, but my map puts it in Cabarete. I think my map must be wrong?

Also...all you can eat donut holes....heheheh I bet there is an unlimited supply of those!

Sosua Ocean Village is just past CMC on the same side of the turristica, make a left at Carniceria Bavaria. I think it is technically Cabarete by a few feet mas o menos???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Ocean Village is just past CMC on the same side of the turristica, make a left at Carniceria Bavaria. I think it is technically Cabarete by a few feet mas o menos???

Those few feet, mas o menos, are not important, as I know you agree. What is important is that investors see promise in this area. I, too, wish them every success.

That new light by Playero can also be considered a positive change. The first day was hectic, but after adjusting the timing, traffic and pedestrians seem to be moving well. Since Playero is footing the bill for this, as well as the large parking lot beside the store, this also falls under the heading of investment in Sosua.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have not yet visited City market, but was given a tour by the owner when they were renovating.

I can asssure you that they are "customer friendly" and anxious to please.

Out friends served ribs the other nite from there.... delicious !!

WW

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
logohorizontal_city_market_2__1_.jpg

Citymarket Pilot has been opened!!!

A brand new multicenter & supermarket called CITYMARKET is now open in Sosua. The US based Kamprad Investments LLC has joined forces with Dominican company DSD Import has now opened the first CITYMARKET in the D.R. Mr. Christopher Noblett, the representative of Kamprad Investments LLC and CITYMARKET group stated the following in a press conference in Miami earlier this year: “We have been looking to enter this country for quite some time, and when we saw the operation of DSD Import and contacted them, we were immediately impressed with their dynamic attitude and overall approach to business. We feel that Sosua is a great place for us to start. The area has extremely well suited population for our concept. We will focus in meeting the needs of the local expats from various countries as well as the needs of the local population. Since we offer good quality with low prices, we are confident that our pilot will be successful.”

The new center is primarily a US style supermarket with several other retail operations within. The new CITYMARKET has a good variety of own imports together with the products from local major suppliers. What makes the concept interesting is the in-house bakery and food processing facilities. It will be the first fully serviced supermarket with total focus on fresh high quality food.

The new director of the food operations, Mrs. Alexandra Brockmans, explains that the main idea is to offer a good variety of quality products at lower prices than before. This is possible by high volumes, lower margins and own imports and in-house production.

The new center has a very North American feel to it. More than USD $3 million has been invested in the project. The equipment is the latest generation, the interior deco fresh and the whole two story facility fully air conditioned. When entering the new expanded CITYMARKET you could well imagine being in Miami.

A lot of effort has been put in the expanded parking areas, which will accommodate close to 60 vehicles on both sides of the facility.

In the main Supermarket you will have a bakery on the second floor, and clients can see into it through a wide glass wall. The bakery will operate continuously 12 hours a day, so there will always be freshly baked bread when you are shopping. The meat counter is equally impressive, and will stop the need to travel any further for your quality meats and poultry. The in-house meat processing is run by professional meat handlers and you can enjoy tender meats as well as fresh English, German and French sausages!

In the sea food section live lobsters and tiger prawns are swimming in water tanks next to an expansive ice bed filled with catches of the day.

If you get hungry or just want to have a break, the New York style deli and caf? is for you. Here you can have a freshly baked sub with your choice of fillings, fresh cup of coffee, salad or even a hamburger. The pastry chef is preparing also cakes and desserts, which are packed for take a way.

The new CITYMARKET brings a new standard to the retail business on the North Coast and is a welcome improvement to the local community.

CITYMARKET | Carretera Sosua Cabarete | 809 571 4098 | 809 571 1146 | Sosua, Puerto Plata | Dominican Republic

DSD Import S.A. owns and operates CITYMARKET retail and whole sale operation together with Best Deal computer stores and DSD Pharmacies in the Dominican Republic.

We are one of the leading consumer goods retailers on the North Coast. Our CITYMARKET retail concept is modern and efficient. We offer clients uncompromised service and up to date quality products at competitive prices. Our Supermarket and Best Deal computer store continue to score top points in the nationwide price watch monitors and we take great pride in our constant up to date product selection and multilingual customer service.

Even though we import most of our products we also use local importers and distributors in order to provide as complete product mix as possible to our private and commercial clients.

Damien C. Houldsworth

President

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Perhaps the thread title should have been "Positive changes in Sosua" but I doubt even that would keep the negative vibes away as so many only thrive on 'bad news'!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Perhaps the thread title should have been "Positive changes in Sosua" but I doubt even that would keep the negative vibes away as so many only thrive on 'bad news'!

This is so true.

Shortly I too will be posting on this thread the many Positive changes coming to the coastal towns in the DR, among them, Sosua and Cabarete.;)

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
I had naive hopes that this thread- as opposed to the Pedro Clisante police state thread- could be about recent investments in the community resulting in new businesses that reflect confidence in positive growth for Sosua.

Lindsey

you can talk about the positive things happening in Sosua, but i think the news about threatening - policemen is an issue too, no? If i were investing in a business there, i would like to know that too... Especially the violance of human rights, no?

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Another big positive for the Sosua/Cabarete area is the opening of Monkey Jungle. This is a top quality zip line along with tours of large natural monkey habitat where you can interact with the monkeys. It also has a small bar and serves snacks. A great family outing. The best part is 100% of the profits goes to support the on site medical and dental clinic that provides free care and medicines for the local poor Dominican and Hatian population. You should take the time to visit it. Here is the web site for more information on the Jungle and clinics. Monkey Jungle Dominicana | Benefits Projects in Dominican Republic & Haiti
As a plug we still need some volunteers, especially if you have some medical backround.
NO Robert I do not have any interest this venture other then volunteering for a very good organization and one that will have a positive effect on the area. So it would be great if this post could be left up in its original form. Thanks

BobK

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Status
Not open for further replies.