Supermercado Nacional Punta Cana

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The official date for the long-awaited opening of a 'real' supermarket on the east coast has been announced. This Sunday, 19th December 2010 is the day that the new branch of Supermercado Nacional will open in Punta Cana Village, in the old bowling alley.

Let the celebrations begin!

Reactions: cobraboy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
At the other end of the commercial gallery, less than 5 minutes walk. There is a new parking lot accessed from the main road that goes towards the airport, well signposted.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
mufc - Haha, dream on. :)

IO, I promise I wasn't hallucinating - but yeah, maybe I should pinch myself.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
People from the Punta Cana area used to drive to Supermercado Caribe past Friusa before it went downhill, or to Higuey or La Romana for their big shop, as do people in B?varo, so compared to that a 15-minute drive from B?varo to PCV is not that much. Once you have your Pola though, fewer people from B?varo will make the trip. On the other hand, Nacional is a better supermarket than Pola, so who knows.

Reactions: pedrochemical

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had a peek this morning. It looked huge! It's "slightly larger than the M?ximo G?mez branch" according to an executive I spoke to on the site. The MG branch in SD is one of the smaller Nacional supermarkets but still much bigger than anything on the east coast.

The Punta Cana Village Nacional will have a bulk purchase section (? la Price Smart), a Cuesta Hogar (good quality household goods) department, and a small cafeteria. The shelves are stacked, the employees are trained, all that's left is the sign. Unless they put it up today I imagine that will be left for the ceremonial opening at 9:00a.m. tomorrow.

I won't be there so hoping someone else from DR1 can report back - Mike, Milos, IO?

Meanwhile, in Centro San Juan (Coco Loco Crossing, B?varo) the multiscreen cinema and one of the restaurants open this afternoon and the Pizza Hut opened yesterday. The Pola Supermarket is scheduled to open in February or thereabouts.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My flight was cancelled :( due to bad weather in Europe, so I will be there tomorrow.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

I wonder if they are ready for the onslaught...

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
That's great news for Punta Cana! Reasonable prices, great product selection and service with a smile - unlike the grumpy cashier with major attitude at the old supermarket in PC Village, I guess they'll be out of business soon.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Soooo Happy!

Will be in PC on Tuesday. We are so very happy to welcome Nacional to PC. Hope products up to par! No more tortuous trips to Higuey! Yea!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had a look round this morning. It's well stocked and reasonably priced as far as I could see. People seemed particularly pleased with the bakery, deli, meat and produce sections.
The Cuesta Hogar area looked excellent and there's even a book department. The cafeteria isn't open yet.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How were the checkout lines? Were they long, or normal for a Supermarket?

Also can you tell us about parking?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When we were there there were no lines, people were still busy shopping. A photo posted by a friend on Facebook a little later showed long queues.

For parking, as you drive towards the airport, immediately after you pass the children's play area in Punta Cana Village, there is a large signpost indicating the new supermarket parking area on the right. You can't miss it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
mufc - the good news is they do have Brussels sprouts, the bad news is the codes don't work so you can't actually take them home with you. Seems to have been an issue today, by all accounts.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's why I never go to op[enings, they have to figure out their lil kinks which is normal at any new opened place for the first day or two, and also Everybody wanna be the first one on day one, so those long lines sure will calm down soon, ha ha.
I have planned to take a look with the Mrs tomorrow morning, I will turn around and wait an other day if the lines are still the same looooong.
Freat to have the Nacional open, I talked to several friends today who went yesterday, they been pleasantly surprised about selection and prices, so I guess we finally have the first real supermarket on the Eastshores.
it is just a 12 minutes drive from our Place here in Cabeza de Toro, shopping been never so Near to Home, not even when I lived in the USA or in Germany, sounds all good til now.
even that I sure will not change my Dominican Butcher for the Meat of any Supermarket, fresh from the Butcher is what is Top.
for all the rest I will find out tomorrow.

Happy Holidays Shopping

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was there this morning. No lines, but a lot of items don't have prices. I would suggest not wasting time with the checking of prices. I just did not buy what did not ring up. You will waste a lot of time, and aggravate yourself otherwise. They have some nice Angus steaks there.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
finally we've been there.
great Place,
the first real supermarket on the East, so nothing to complain about.
we arrived there shortly before 2PM, parking available in the first Row, the shop been nearly Empty, 5 casgiers been open, 2 of them had no Customers, so we did not need to wait for anything.
Staff there been very friendly and attentive when asked about spezific products etc, Veggies Stand show great Quality and Variety, plenty of Trolleys, Wine selection acceptable wth good rates on average Brands, Booze section does not offer much of Variety, what they have shows good rates, Meat Station looks great.
be careful when buying 7-UP light in the 2-Liter Bottles.
I grabbed a 6-pack of them and the moment I lift it Up one of the Bottles exploded on it's Bottom. there been right away 2 Guys to clean up the mess, "Disculpa Se?or", they loaded me an other 6 pack in the Cart and we went on shopping.
back Home, shortly before Midnight, I was myself sitting on the Veranda at the Computer, the Mrs napping on the Couch in front of the Tele, ""BUMMM!!!", a loud bang from the Storage Corner in the Kittchen, My ole Lady nearly hit the Ceiling of the 10ft High Room, I grabbed the Gun from the Table, Kittchen Check:
a darn Bottle of those 7-Up-Light exploded, nice Mess for the Mrs to clean up at Midnight. the still closed 6_Pack been simply standing on the Floor, nobody touched that thing since hours.
She did not have finished the clean up since 10 minutes and "Bang", the next one, this Time it exploded on the neck of yhe bottle. so I opened the Caps on the remaining 4 bottles, been all under very high pressure.
before I went to Bed I closed the Caps, should not come under pressure ever again, but NOO, in the morning all 4 bottles been fully under pressure.
so they went to the Trash, what's it worth if you need to leave those Bottles open, all the taste gone right away.
weird stuff, never had such "special" Refrescos Bottles anywhere.
the rest of the thingies we purchased at Nacional been very fine, will do a weekly shopping there from now on, but no more Refrescos from Nacional, lol.

Happy Shopping

Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Supermercado Nacional

Excellent! I've been there 5x already. Vegies beautiful! We bought and have eaten their excellent angus steak, chuletas, pollo, pechuga. The variety is outstanding and overall we're so happy it is here. Were there last night and the place was crowded with everyone doing last minute shopping for Xmas eve. Just have the feeling it will get better and better. There were so many people we were wondering - Where is Eveyone Coming From - wonderful to see.