wikileaks and Leonel's government

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Que opine Opinio!!! Yo mejor no digo nada, finalmente estoy aprendiendo lo que me decia mi abuelo: EN BOCA CERRADA NO ENTRAN MOSCAS!!!!!!!!!

haha

JJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is DR-specific, naming names and all:
WikiLeaks cita en sus documentos a Felucho Jim?nez y a Andr?s Van Der Horst, como funcionarios corruptos que pidieron soborno a inversionistas estadounidenses “para allanar el camino” para hacer posibles sus inversiones en el pa?s.
Cita a la sociedad de inversiones Advent International, cuyo directivos denunciaron a la embajada de Estados Unidos en el 2009, las molestias y amenazas que recibi? por el ex director de la Comisi?n de Aeropuertos, Andr?s Van Der Horst, quien le habr?a solicitado cinco millones de pesos por debajo de la mesa para hacer posible que se le concesionara a Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglos XXI.

WikiLeaks cita a Felucho y a Van Der Horst como funcionarios corruptos - DiarioLibre.com

The original cable the report is based on includes this gem:
...a government that succeeds in attracting investment through good public relations, pro-business rhetoric and even signing contracts with favorable terms for investors when in reality the panorama for foreign investors is muddled with corrupt intermediaries and a legal framework that is bent to satisfy the whims of public officials.

Cable de WikiLeaks sobre RD - DiarioLibre.com

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This thread should be removed, as clearly is a hate campaign against DR.
There is nothing about wikileaks in that text, or any proofs.
But...

Example #1:

7. (C) Salgado also told EconOffs about an incident that took
place at a recent gala dinner for the travel industry.
Talking over cocktails with a small group of people,
including Salgado and Solorzano, Van Der Horst made the
comment that "For 5 million pesos (about USD 143,000), I
could go away." While Salgado said Van Der Horst,s tone was
joking, he turned abruptly to face Salgado and Solorzano when
he made this comment.

Example #2:

9. (C) Advent Senior Partner Juan Carlos Torres came to the
Dominican Republic on April 23 to meet with President
Fernandez. According to Salgado, during the meeting, Torres,
Salgado and Aerodom advisor Jose Luis Abraham explained in
"polite" terms that they had trouble dealing with Van Der
Horst. After the meeting, Abraham, a close associate of
Fernandez, remained with the President and told him more
details of the Van Der Horst problems. President Fernandez
assured Abraham that he would instruct Van Der Horst to back
off, and noted that August 16 is typically a day when
personnel changes are announced. Salgado was not sure
whether President Fernandez was implying that he would remove
Van Der Horst in August or whether he would simply use this
possibility to exert control over Van Der Horst. Salgado
said that, so far, President Fernandez' intervention appears
to be helping

Example #3:

According to Salgado, General Jaime Osas entered Aerodom
executive offices, placed a firearm on a desk and said he had
come "to settle a score between you and my boss." Osas
served in the military as an at-large general at the time but
made clear that he was representing Van Der Horst during that
hostile encounter. Advent executives complained vehemently
about the incident and Osas was recently retired by President
Fernandez.

Cable en el que se habla de sobornos a inversores estadounidenses en Rep?blica Dominicana ? ELPA?S.com

It sounds DR-related to me.

I'll grant you that it is a he said/she said type of thing; but, it is what it is.

In typical Dominican fashion, expect sympathizer of the opposition to start having a field day with this; unless a new wikileak dating from 2000-04 comes out, then they quiet down.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
These are only opinions anyway.

Just like your opinion that this is a hate campaign etc.
If you don't like the channel, change it.

Ask anyone that undertakes large investments here. Ask the people at the CEI-RD that facilitate and promote external investments here.

Unless your making multi billion $$$ that give you enough clout to make things go away, then it can be muddled with corrupt intermediaries and a legal framework that is bent to satisfy the whims of public officials.

This is fact and investors need to be aware of the potential problems.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In typical Dominican fashion, expect sympathizer of the opposition to start having a field day with this; unless a new wikileak dating from 2000-04 comes out, then they quiet down.

Those years would make for some good reading :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Felucho is crying like a baby and Van der corrupt is silent like a lamb...

I'm just waiting for the full list to come about!!!

This is getting interesting! For the first time the innerworkings of the DR's gov and biz on the open (from a foreign perspective, but open!)...

How corruption works in the DR! Err...! I meant how gov works in the DR!!!
LOL!!

I hope they list the energy sector, et all!!!

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just like your opinion that this is a hate campaign etc.
If you don't like the channel, change it.

Ask anyone that undertakes large investments here. Ask the people at the CEI-RD that facilitate and promote external investments here.

Unless your making multi billion $$$ that give you enough clout to make things go away, then it can be muddled with corrupt intermediaries and a legal framework that is bent to satisfy the whims of public officials.

This is fact and investors need to be aware of the potential problems.

I agree! 100%

This is the reality of doing biz in the DR, no ifs or buts about it!

You should make a sticky with this here!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

That stuff is too old, the majority of people in the DR are in their early 20's late 30's. Too young to have been involved with the events and people then listed for that period.

But for the rest of us, it will be quite interesting indeed...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Those would be the Mejia years...that right there would a time bomb. I think the art of lying, genuflecting and spinning would be propelled into something akin to an Olympic sport.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
That stuff is too old, the majority of people in the DR are in their early 20's late 30's. Too young to have been involved with the events and people then listed for that period.

But for the rest of us, it will be quite interesting indeed...

But many of those Diputados and party officials are still in power. Or in the public scene. No one slinked away like a bug under a stone when Mejia left. Even Mejia is still around dropping his name here and there, in DR and in Boston.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How far will the Wikileaks revelations date back, because there will be juicy stuff to read from every single government, not just the current one.

From what I hear the electricity sector would make particularly fascinating reading. In fact, even without Wikileaks this came out this week, as reported in Friday's DR1 News:
Meters were controlled by TV remotes
Celso Marranzini, executive vice president of the Public Electricity Corporation (CDEEE) has announced the discovery of a major internal fraud. He said he is sending a case to the Department of Prevention of Administrative Corruption involving five technicians who purchased 100,000 meters in China with a chip that can be controlled using a TV universal remote control. He said that he was holding the former financial director of EdeNorte, Peruvian Marco Portocarrero responsible.
He said the meters were installed in upper income neighborhoods in the areas served by EdeNorte and EdeSur so that users could shut them off to reduce their meter reading and power bills. "We have detected and dismantled thousands of those meters," said Marranzini.
Moises Ferrer, electricity prosecutor (PGASE) was present at the press notification of the fraud. He said the meters were purchased between 2006 and 2007 in a tender process with terms of reference that specified that they should have a kind of optic port that facilitates remote control.
Ferrer accused Portocarrero, the former financial director, as one of the people responsible for the fraud. As reported in El Dia, the authorities presume he is no longer in the country. He was found to have made deposits of RD$30 million in one year, which did not match the wages he was making, according to an audit carried out by investigators.
Celso Marranzini reports that there are one million consumers that do not pay for the service they receive. During the meeting with the press, Marranzini reported that billing of the three power distribution companies increased 11.4% in 2010, going from US$1.1 billion to US$1.23 billion, as of November 2009. He said there was an increase of 14% in collections.

Remote controlled meters for the wealthy; Peruvian financial director of EdeNorte with RD$30 million in the bank and nowhere to be found....

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
This is getting interesting! For the first time the innerworkings of the DR's gov and biz on the open (from a foreign perspective, but open!)...
Now, this is the right attitude... Milos, you should read, learn & understand... This is your chance...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I've tried to see who's the CEO of Advent International. While the Wikileak document claims:

"CEO Rodolfo Salgado told the Ambassador that this would be the
first of many Advent investments in the Dominican Republic."

But, no such person appears in the company's website.

On the other hand, Luis Sol?rzano does appears on the website.

Another detail is in the following wikileak quote:

The Airport Department, which manages the
state-owned airports not included in the Aerodom concession,
has no direct supervisory role over the Aerodom-operated
facilities. The only legal relationship between the Airport
Department and Aerodom is the fact that Van Der Horst sits on
the Airport Commission, the government agency that oversees
the concession and is chaired by Secretary of Public Works
Victor Diaz Rua."

Advent International's website claims:

"Advent International, the global private equity firm, today announced that it has acquired 100% of Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI SA (?Aerodom?), the leading airport group in the Dominican Republic and one of the largest airport operators in Central America and the Caribbean... Aerodom has a 30-year concession contract with the Dominican Government and the Airport Commission to develop, operate and manage six airports in the Dominican Republic. These include Las Am?ricas in Santo Domingo, which serves as the country?s principal international gateway and is the second-largest airport in terms of passengers; Gregorio Luper?n in Puerto Plata; Saman? and Arroyo Barril, both near Saman?; La Isabela in Santo Domingo; and Maria Mont?z in Barahona."
Press Release

Hmm... maybe there's more to this than meets the eyes. :surprised

The Dominican government has been known to be bullied by multinational firms in the past (ahem, Gulf & Western, but you didn't heard it from me :cheeky:). I'm not saying this was another bullying attempt, but anything's possible.

Last edited:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

More importantly here is, what is going to happen. If I had to venture a guess, it will be absolutely nothing. Oh man...there i go smearing DR again, silly me!

More seriously, the President himself is cited as having heard complaints from these investors and his actions subsequent to this were __________ [Insert what happened as a result].

Alejandrina Guzman, of all people, has come out to defend el PLD to say that corruption, albeit isolated, is not the norm! Audacity, is a word that comes to mind.

Predictably, el PRD has come out to say 'wham there go the comesolos', but this in and of itself does not deligitimize the claims leveled by the US Embassy.

Pero bueno, de cualquier manera those whom point the finger and say, 'pssst...hey look its corruption' are nothing more than a bunch of DR reputation smearers (ex US ambassador Robert Fannin included).

To you DR smearers out there I say, how dare you! [Insert cynicism here]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
milopskorac asserts

This thread should be removed, as clearly is a hate campaign against DR.
There is nothing about wikileaks in that text, or any proofs.

who died and left you in charge? some of us want to read it. if it bothers your sensibilities, go read something else.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This issue has many Dominicans captivated, and there have been several articles in the local papers. What will it do? That remains to be seen.

AE

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I wonder how many have paid for his services over the years?

Forbes said that at the end of 2007 the former
Minister of Tourism Felix Jimenez offered to get all
necessary permits in exchange for USD 10 million.

However, Jimenez recently told the CONGEN that he was going to be the next
Ambassador to Washington after he improves his English.

At least the USA can always have the last laugh.

While the corruption issues that Forbes raised are not new or surprising, it was disturbing to hear of the audacity of certain GoDR officials in offering their assistance in exchange for large bribes. It is even more worrisome that Post has now heard from two different sources that Jimenez could be appointed as the next Ambassador to the U.S. Post will consider whether to request a revocation of Jimenez's visa for corruption and looks forward to coordinating with the Department on whether to accept agreement for the former minister if he is nominated as Ambassador to the U.S.

Cable Viewer

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, to be fair, the Felucho was never a secret.