Taxi's...safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
What would be the best and safest means of transportation to local towns and clubs while visiting...venturing outside our resort?

My friend and I are not familiar with the area but heard it's a prime spot for partying and meeting locals (both of which we want) but we seriously are not trying to get robbed via taken to grimey spots or swindled so if you can offer some great tips would be appreciated.

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
Sorry I did not mention in original post but our destination will be in Puerto Plata

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
negotiate before you get in the cab. most cabs don't go crazy with over charging because they know there is another cab ready to pick you up if they don't. most cab drivers are legit and making a living, nice people, working hard to make a living, treat them right and they treat you right.

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
negotiate before you get in the cab. most cabs don't go crazy with over charging because they know there is another cab ready to pick you up if they don't. most cab drivers are legit and making a living, nice people, working hard to make a living, treat them right and they treat you right.

Ok cool, no problem. We definitely treat everyone with respect but someone told me to be careful because some of the taxi's take you to dark n abandoned places n rob or attempt to rob you. Are Spanish is not fluent so we are just trying to be extra cautious but thanks for the input.

Reactions: waytogo

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
That may be true but I have never had that experience and I don't stay at all-inclusive hotels so i use cab and scooter taxis all the time. Someone else on this board may have better advice for you.

I don't know how you party so you may be in areas I don't go. Let's hear what others have to say.

Have a great time.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have been using taxi's exclusively for the last 3 years all over the island, mostly in Santiago and have never had a problem. I was told along time ago to always call a taxi company and have them send their taxi to pick you up, this way you know that it is a driver from the company and not someone who is freelancing.
I have currently been using the same driver for awhile now and many people will stick to the same driver when available. I'm sure some poster here that lives in the POP area can recommend a local driver that you will feel safe and comfortable with.

B in Santiago

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
I have been using taxi's exclusively for the last 3 years all over the island, mostly in Santiago and have never had a problem. I was told along time ago to always call a taxi company and have them send their taxi to pick you up, this way you know that it is a driver from the company and not someone who is freelancing.
I have currently been using the same driver for awhile now and many people will stick to the same driver when available. I'm sure some poster here that lives in the POP area can recommend a local driver that you will feel safe and comfortable with.

B in Santiago

Ok thanks, I appreciate it.

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
That may be true but I have never had that experience and I don't stay at all-inclusive hotels so i use cab and scooter taxis all the time. Someone else on this board may have better advice for you.

I don't know how you party so you may be in areas I don't go. Let's hear what others have to say.

Have a great time.

Scooter, this is our first time so we don't even know what type of partying we will be doing, lol but I presume just some normal club/bar atmosphere...if you know of any good places to mingle with some friendly local women please share, thanks.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

B in Santiago
Does your man speaks English?
The driver I've been recommending for STI pickups during the past three years is on the waiting list of the people who dreams with a greener grass, so I'll need a new driver with some English skills and capable to respond Emails and phone calls and of course a vehicle in good shape with no propane tank in the trunk.

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
They may try to overcharge you but I wouldn't be too concerned about being taken to somewhere and robbed. It is more lucrative to play tour guide and keep you as a client for the duration of the trip. Some first timers are comfortable with that arrangement especially if their Spanish isn't very good. If you chose that route then ask someone who is familiar with what they charge in the Puerto Plate area and then negotiate an agreement that you find acceptable. Or you could to do some research and find out how much it cost to go to the places you want to go and take the taxi that gives you the price you want at the time you ready to go where you are going.

Ok cool, no problem. We definitely treat everyone with respect but someone told me to be careful because some of the taxi's take you to dark n abandoned places n rob or attempt to rob you. Are Spanish is not fluent so we are just trying to be extra cautious but thanks for the input.

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
Aha, we're getting closer to the truth.

Sosua is what you're looking for, I believe.

Definitely! Ok well I will have to find out just how close Sosua is to PP in relation to common transportation :paranoid:

They may try to overcharge you but I wouldn't be too concerned about being taken to somewhere and robbed. It is more lucrative to play tour guide and keep you as a client for the duration of the trip. Some first timers are comfortable with that arrangement especially if their Spanish isn't very good. If you chose that route then ask someone who is familiar with what they charge in the Puerto Plate area and then negotiate an agreement that you find acceptable. Or you could to do some research and find out how much it cost to go to the places you want to go and take the taxi that gives you the price you want at the time you ready to go where you are going.

Thanks!

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
One of the "safest" arrangements is to have your resort arrange for a taxi ... that way you'll only get somewhat overcharged, instead of outrageously overcharged, and you won't get robbed, since the resort will know the driver. You can arrange for the same driver to pick you up at a prearranged time, if you wish. However, as long as you're using licensed taxi drivers, you're probably pretty safe. You're at far greater risk from the "friendly local women". You are really worrying about the wrong thing!

crobers

Dec 19, 2010
One of the "safest" arrangements is to have your resort arrange for a taxi ... that way you'll only get somewhat overcharged, instead of outrageously overcharged, and you won't get robbed, since the resort will know the driver. You can arrange for the same driver to pick you up at a prearranged time, if you wish. However, as long as you're using licensed taxi drivers, you're probably pretty safe. You're at far greater risk from the "friendly local women". You are really worrying about the wrong thing!

Got it!

It was not something I worried about until someone mentioned to me yesterday to watch out for this type of activity but your advice will be taken nonetheless, thanks!

I figured the "friendly local pretty women" would come with a price to pay (no pun intended or was it? lol)

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
The taxi's are safe the one's on the resorts charge more but will take care of you and will try to be your local tour guide for duration of your trip,

Reactions: SantiagoDR

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
A few reasons for what you need a driver you can thrust;
EX:
1- A family of Americans tourist (six passengers) called the driver who drove then from Playa Dorada tp STI and aked him....JJ did happen to find a luggage in your minivan as we just got home in NY and noticed we are missing the one where we packed all the souvenirs and some important goods for us???
Answer, nope I checked very well the trunk of my car at the airport and it was not there please call the hotel and let me know if I can do something for you.....
Yes I had to go three times to the resort as they was trying to get around with it telling me that the person who was charged of this never was present. Finally I got it and shipped thru FEDEX located at Los Jardines Santiago by the time..
The UPS payment fees about US $30. Dollars was intermediately reimbursed to my paypal accont...
Oh I forgot and 50 bucks tips.
2-Another day a guy forgot his blackberry in my van and when I was 15 kms from the airport the phone was ringing..... Ok, I will be there in a few minutes before your plane take off!!!

JJ

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Does your man speaks English?
The driver I've been recommending for STI pickups during the past three years is on the waiting list of the people who dreams with a greener grass, so I'll need a new driver with some English skills and capable to respond Emails and phone calls and of course a vehicle in good shape with no propane tank in the trunk.

JJ

Not a word of English. He does have a cell phone and an almost new car which is in perfect condition, very clean, and the a/c is outstanding when needed. I honestly don't know about the tank in the trunk, but I will be needing his service tomorrow to take me to EPS so I will ask about the propane tank.

B in Santiago

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Not a word of English. He does have a cell phone and an almost new car which is in perfect condition, very clean, and the a/c is outstanding when needed. I honestly don't know about the tank in the trunk, but I will be needing his service tomorrow to take me to EPS so I will ask about the propane tank.B in Santiago
The only problem I see with the propane tank is that it takes almost the space needed for the luggage so it shouldn't be a real problem as well as he can switch to gasoline until he comes back to work with local costumers, I did so in the beginning before I bought a Diesel vehicle. Some English is a must as this is the only way to communicate with his costumers...

Joke:
One day I sent my friend Alexis to drive one of my frequent costumers from STI to Pto. Pta. But on his way back to the airport I drove him myself, he told me he was asking the driver to stop for bathroom brake many times but anytime the guy was coming back to him with a friendly smile...He said I was so desperate that finally asked him in bad attitude to stop the car to pip right there on the side of the road in front everybody.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.