Trip from the beginning of this month.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I had tons of car trouble on this trip, the first was when I overestimated the speed of a security gate and backed into it. This knocked the gate off the rail and beat up the side of the car. I ended up using that day to go to Ojo de Agua and take a picture of the monuments there and walk through the park.
The next day I went to La Isabela and saw the foundations and the museum. On the way back to Santiago I took a detour and went through a mountain town called Altamira. That night I went to an Aguilas game where they got blown out by the La Romana Toros.
The next day I went to Jarabacoa. The confluence park is a bit dirty and has a sketchy "rancho tipico" at it. From there I visited Rancho Baiguate where the tourist truck knocked the right mirror off my car. I pressed on to La Cienaga to see where the Pico Duarte trail leaves from. Both the monastery shops on the road to there were closed when I went by them. On this road is also a huge chinese style house with a botanical garden. I have no idea who owns it. From there I drove towards the Salto Jimenoa Uno.
Neither getting to the bottom of the waterfall or getting up the mountain again is easy. Due to the altitude I hit the wall hard and it took me 45 minutes to return to the top of the path. Then I had to wait until 6 PM for the road to Constanza to open due to construction. When I left Constanza at night there were fields with lots of lights in them. I wonder what is being grown there? I only went into Constanza because someone told me that was the way to get back to the Autopista instead of road #12! I got back to Santiago at about 10 at night.
Thursday I spent dealing with the AMET and rental car company about the gate accident. I drove to Rio San Juan to see the Laguna Gri Gri mangrove area the next day. Because of rough surf I did not get to see the sea cave nearby. On Saturday and Sunday I didn't do much at all except get a flat tire fixed. On Monday I turned in the rental car and took guaguas to Cofresi to the resort there. I did a lot of sitting around because it was 60F/15C the entire week! I went back to the STI airport and left on Friday.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... On the way back to Santiago I took a detour and went through a mountain town called Altamira......

My wife is from there, I am amazed that place would be any kind of detour through anything.... That had to be an adventure in itself. ;)

Don

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
2 months ago I got rid of her. I ended up buying a membership in the resort in Cofresi there.

Good to know...I bet she is stewing in her juices, knowing that she has to continue living with her folks.

Anyway...how did they charge you for the damage to the rental? What did you get? A Nissan Sentra or something? What company did you go with? Is wasnt that Sixt agency was it?