Water checking by City of Santiago ?

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
The other day ( last Friday), I got an employee ( he claimed) of the city of Santiago coming to check the water and wanted access to the bathroom.

Can somebody explain that ? Apparently, he comes around every month
Unexpectedly :speechles

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I live in santiago too and had someone from the water company come by today. He wanted to check the water, but I didn't let him in.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Water authority is CORAASAN and they typically have light blue button up shirts with said name on. Nonetheless, I would not typically let them in my house as they have the meter out front to check if need be.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be very cautious of who you let into your house. The Corasaan people are well identified. They only would come to your house if you have complained of your water bill, and they are checking for leaks.

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes as he Hillbilly stated only if you set complain of a suspicious underground water leak, after tens of complain they will send a technisian with a leak detector....
Next time he show up call the polioce.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JJ...Corasaan is pretty good at this. If you need to use the geophone to find a leak, they will charge you a little over $30 (RD$1050)+/-, and in a few days they show up with a blind guy and his geophone and a guide and go room to room. They always have lots of identification and travel in a Corasaan truck..Good service...

By far the best water system in the DR...

HB

May 12, 2005
JJ...Corasaan is pretty good at this. If you need to use the geophone to find a leak, they will charge you a little over $30 (RD$1050)+/-, and in a few days they show up with a blind guy and his geophone and a guide and go room to room. They always have lots of identification and travel in a Corasaan truck..Good service...

By far the best water system in the DR...

HB

I am not a big fan of Corasaan. The bill was always the same even when for half of the month there was no water being used.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I understand they always charge you something. In our case it actually works out pretty good because we don't have a meter. We are charged around RD400 for water, RD150 for sewer and RD150 for trash pickup. Now if they would just come and get the trash more often.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I understand they always charge you something. In our case it actually works out pretty good because we don't have a meter. We are charged around RD400 for water, RD150 for sewer and RD150 for trash pickup. Now if they would just come and get the trash more often.

Chip, that comes out to about RD700 per month without a meter. My average bill with a meter TOTALS an average of 425 per month for everything, and we use a LOT of water. Maybe it's better to have a meter.

B in Santiago

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Barry

It's possible, but then again I have three girls and a big house and my wife washes daily for hours not to mention the half hour long baths my girls take. Funny how I can shower in three minutes. Must have been that military training, jeje.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nah! It's just that you don't have asmuch fun in the bathroom any more!!

I pay around 800 for the house out back, for normal usage: there is a minimum fee, you know. Plus garbage and sewers. And I am paying about double that for the big house, which includes the restaurant and the apartment.

Corasaan is pretty fair, IMO...

HB

Reactions: Bronxboy

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
It?s funny how I just happen to turn-on the computer and ran into this thread. Just getting back from paying Corasaan $11,300 pesos for water they billed me while I was out of the country and the house was empty. Im sorry HillBilly, but to me they are not fair.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One question: How long were you out of the country? Do you have a leak? or several?

That bill does not make a lot of sense...and you can negotiate it, of course. You can go to the commission on Tuesday and state your case...

To go and pay a bill that large, with the house empty....and not make a plea is not correct procedure. ....maybe someone hooked up to your water and opened a car wash!! It is plausable..

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One question: How long were you out of the country? Do you have a leak? or several?
....maybe someone hooked up to your water and opened a car wash!! It is plausible..HB

2u9jukz.jpg

I think I found the leak, HB was right, here's where your water went.....

B in Santiago

Reactions: Frank the Tank

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

That bill does not make a lot of sense...and you can negotiate it, of course. You can go to the commission on Tuesday and state your case...

To go and pay a bill that large, with the house empty....and not make a plea is not correct procedure. ....maybe someone hooked up to your water and opened a car wash!! It is plausable..

HB

Without making a long story longer, I?ll try to answer all your questions with as few words as possible. I was out of the country for six months working in Argentina, while I was gone my wife decided to visit family members in New Jersey. My current water bill is $3,500 pesos a month, I dont have a meter, although I?ve asked them to install one many times in the past.

When my wife and myself returned to the country on July of this year we both saw the bill and immediately went to Corasaan to make our grievance. The total bill was actually $21,000 pesos, however, by going to the commission as you clearly stated, we showed them copies of our passport to state the fact that we wore out of the country during that time. Their attitude was that we should have informed them of our absence, which is totally absurd from my stand point. Anyhow, after months of going back and forth with them we decided to pay the $11,300 pesos of the original $21,000 pesos they wore charging us.

Hope this clears things for you, and as I stated in my previous post fair is not a word I would us to describe Corasaan.