Causes of the Earthquake?

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
interesting..... but the reality is...the historic and continuous incompetence of the Haitian government is directly responsible for majority of the deaths.

A few weeks or months after the earthquake in Haiti...a more powerful (richter scale) quake hit a country in South America.....and it's didn't do one tenth of the damage and tiny number of deaths.

again, thanks for the link...will read later

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It certainly is an interesting potentially resolvable(?) issue...Of course the reforestation of the mountains is so urgent....but with all the other issues???Who knows what will be done?

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is nonsense.

This was not the first major earthquake to have stroked that part of the island. Didn't Port-au-Prince suffered a similar earthquake in the 1700s? Wasn't most of the island draped in forests of all kinds?

What about all the earthquakes that have struck on the Dominican side of the island? Maybe the trees caused that one. :cheeky:

Or maybe Chile's earthquake was cause by the weight of Santiago. Oh, I know, the San Joaquin earthquake that struck California in the 1990s was caused by the wind.

Nonsense, pure nonsense.

Reactions: badpiece33

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
00262237-853622_500.jpg

doc. from the scientific community about some of the causes of the quake.

*Because I'm not a man of science, I can't honestly say which "explanation" makes more sense....the first link or the details of this dvd, though.

When the quake first happened, and I didn't know whether family was dead or alive...people were sending me(callously, i might add) stories about "HARP" and theories about how the quake wasn't accidental...and yada yada yada....
Really wasn't in a frame of mind to entertain any of that at the time.Still not.

I have this "Haiti Quake" video but never gotten around to watching it.....this thread reminded me that I even had it.

produced by channel 4..in the UK...so I think there is a free version on their site for anybody interested.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
interesting..... but the reality is...the historic and continuous incompetence of the Haitian government is directly responsible for majority of the deaths.

A few weeks or months after the earthquake in Haiti...a more powerful (richter scale) quake hit a country in South America.....and it's didn't do one tenth of the damage and tiny number of deaths.

again, thanks for the link...will read later

Hit the nail on the head.

Nonexistent building codes, poor quality concrete without reinforcement, and a seismically active area were why so many people died.

Reforestation should be a priority, IMHO, but until a functional government takes office and is able to bring some order to the lives of ALL the people, reforestation and reform will be fruitless projects.

This is nonsense.

This was not the first major earthquake to have stroked that part of the island. Didn't Port-au-Prince suffered a similar earthquake in the 1700s? Wasn't most of the island draped in forests of all kinds?

What about all the earthquakes that have struck on the Dominican side of the island? Maybe the trees caused that one. :cheeky:

Or maybe Chile's earthquake was cause by the weight of Santiago. Oh, I know, the San Joaquin earthquake that struck California in the 1990s was caused by the wind.

Nonsense, pure nonsense.

Thank you Nals

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Thank you Nals

I didn't like to say, but yes, this sounds like hogwash.

Mind you, so did flying at one time.

But the only reason I did not call hooey was because of where the idea came from.
So I was not looking at the theory, I was looking at who said it.

Emperor's new clothes and all that....

Hmmm..

May 29, 2006
I would be very embarrassed to have been the institute that gave this knucklehead a PhD.

Besides, everyone knows it was either caused by HAARP or God's punishment for a deal with the devil.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
At the depth of 10km, an Earthquake can be:
Haarp or US submarine exploded, for a period of time.

Oh sure, blame it on the US. It could have been a Russian submarine. Or a Chinese one. Or maybe Al Qaeda bought a used submarine from someone and then had an accident. Yeah, that's it: Al Qaeda. Now the US can send lots of money to Haiti and say we are fighting terrorism. :tired:

Reactions: Celt202