Road to take from Punta Cana to Samana

Msakr

Dec 22, 2010
Hi
I am planning to rent a car next week and get to Samana from Punta Cana, which road shall I take? Bing shows a highway along the north coast, while Google does not show it, and as such need to take the highway thru santo Domingo
How much time will it take driving? Is it possible to make it in a one day trip?
and lastly, do I need to rent a 4x4? Or the roads are ok

Thank you

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Road from Punta Cana to Samana

The safest way and best roads are to go through Santo Domingo and take the new highway out towards the airport. You will be on the toll road for about one hour and 15 minutes. When you get off take a right and follow the road all the way into Samana. From where you get on the highway in SD to Samana is about 2:30-45 mins. If you are going to Las Terrenas its about 20-30 minutes less.

s

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Punta Cana to Samana

Sorry, forget to answer your other questions. You can easily make the drive in one day. Leave early, avoid driving at night. A small 4 x4 is a must in driving around the DR. Most main roads are good however the side roads and beach roads are where you will need the SUV.

S

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Hi Mskar, you can also take the new highway (toll), from the North Coast to SD, and from there to Punta Cana

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
LTSteve has given you great advice....however...I do not agree that you MUST rent a 4 X 4 if you're doing "typical" and not off-road driving--They just DRINK the muy expensive gasoline! We've taken a small rental car most places...even down the treacherous road to Playa Rincon (but, never again-ha!)