Carnaval....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
A question....me and my boyfriend are coming to visit the D.R. in February for a month and we want to make sure we are there for La Vega's carnaval. Does anyone know the exact dates for that Carnval?? My boyfriend hasn't lived there for 15 years, so he's not quite sure. If anyone knows the answer, this would be quite helpful. Thanks!

Jan 17, 2009
I don't know the exact dates, but do remember that the best parade is the last one, on the last Sunday of February. I was there a few years back and it was a lot of fun.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Puerto Plata Carnaval Parade

I went to the carnaval parade in Puerto Plata last year, towards the end of March, and it was really, really great....it was on the malecon, and it looked like all of Puerto Plata turned out to watch it...I plan on going there again this year, as well....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"Wikipedia says: February is known as Carnaval month in La Vega, this being the most famous carnival in the entire country. The patron saint is the Virgen de las Mercedes, celebrated on September 24.

El Carnaval Vegano is celebrated each Sunday in February."

This confirms what Expat-in -Cabarete said about the best parade being on the last Sunday in February.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......This confirms what Expat-in -Cabarete said about the best parade being on the last Sunday in February.
Thanks Ken2, this would help to confirm the Carnaval of all Carnavals is the first Sunday of March in Santo Domingo.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
2011 is one of the years when "Independence Day", February 27, also falls on the last Sunday of February...makes for a Double-Strength Fiesta in La Vega!

If you're here all of February, you may want to check out some other nearby Carnaval Sunday celebrations on the earlier weeks...two other notable ones are in Santiago and Montecristi.

Status
Not open for further replies.