Flight shows 2 checked bags "total" weight 20kg?

dude1

Dec 26, 2010
That seems VERY unreasonable for 7 day trip no?

just one average size checkable bag is 40lbs with standard clothing, shoes etc

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
You are allowed 20kg/44lbs checked and 5kg/11lbs carry on.
I find this is plenty for myself but it does limit what I can bring down to give away.

There are people who don't even check anything and only do a carry on.
I'm sure they would not agree with you.

May 29, 2006
It seems like plenty to me. It's not like you are packing for Fairbanks Alaska anyway. One tip is to weak a bunch of layers and your heaviest shoes. Take off the heavy shoes and switch to sandals on the plane.

Learn to travel light. It's worth it for many reasons. Do check the forums though for the DR must have list. For me, a lightweight, collapsible beer cooler has been a godsend.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When travelling from Canada, I always (When possible) go with WestJet. 2 checked bags (50 lbs. ea.)and 2 carry on's (22 lbs. ea.) Totlal 144 lbs. p/p. Now that's what I call service.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
westjet

Just a note that West Jet is changing their baggage allowance as of January 19, 2011. You will only be allowed ONE 50lb checked bag and a 22lb carry on plus a personal item. ALWAYS check what their allowances are as most airlines are changing their policies.
A side note when travelling with West Jet is that they allow a "humanitarian" checked bag at no additional cost. Just make sure you don't have your personal belongings in it :)
I just came back from Toronto, with two 50lb checked bags and the 50lb Humanitarian bag with no trouble at all. But this time because of the holiday season I informed them ahead of time that I'd have the humanitarian bag. (usually I just show up with it).

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just a note that West Jet is changing their baggage allowance as of January 19, 2011. You will only be allowed ONE 50lb checked bag and a 22lb carry on plus a personal item. ALWAYS check what their allowances are as most airlines are changing their policies.
A side note when travelling with West Jet is that they allow a "humanitarian" checked bag at no additional cost. Just make sure you don't have your personal belongings in it :)
I just came back from Toronto, with two 50lb checked bags and the 50lb Humanitarian bag with no trouble at all. But this time because of the holiday season I informed them ahead of time that I'd have the humanitarian bag. (usually I just show up with it).
Now that makes me sad. I guess all good thing come to an end. :(
BYW what's a Humanitarian bag? I know, I know. but what can you have in it?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Humanitarian bag

is a bag that contains items you intend to give away. Clothes, shoes, toys, small household items, tylenol etc. Now I have been known to pack clothes for myself but say I'm giving it away hehehe and I've never been questioned about it. I just make sure that what is in the bag doesn't LOOK like it belongs to me. That way I get to take WAY more stuff home with me. I know not completely honest but hey what can ya do.

Reactions: Eddy

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
is a bag that contains items you intend to give away. Clothes, shoes, toys, small household items, tylenol etc. Now I have been known to pack clothes for myself but say I'm giving it away hehehe and I've never been questioned about it. I just make sure that what is in the bag doesn't LOOK like it belongs to me. That way I get to take WAY more stuff home with me. I know not completely honest but hey what can ya do.
OK Thanks for the info. No matter how you look at it, there is always stuff I give away. (Really)

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Exactly! now you can still fly with your 2 checked bags! To be on the safe side inform them ahead of time that you will have the humanitarian bag.