Cheap way to travel from santiago to puerto plata

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yes that is pesos. Trip is about 1 hour and 15 minutes (giver or take a few minutes) 7 days a week service.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just for comparison's sake, if you took a private taxi from Santiago to Puerto Plata the price would be somewhere between $50 and $80 US compared to the bus price of about $3 US equivalent. Of course you will need some method to get to and from the bus stations.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
About renting a car...

Can not disagree more unless you are used to crazy traffic. Take the bus (Metro is better than Carribe tours) and enjoy the landscape in a safe environment. We almost got hit yesterday going on this road. Navarrete POP must be one of the most dangerous roads with heavy trucks and buses (beach people). Have a good trip.

Taxi is an alternative since it is "cheap" in comparison to other countries.

brody

Jan 8, 2012
How far is the bus depot from Santiago airport? how much should it cost by taxi?

thanks!

mkberg

Aug 29, 2011
Javilla tours is good too. Local Dominican style. Takes you right to Puerto Plata and may be a few pesos less than Caribe Tours, although not nearly as comfortable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To the OP: Janice.dancer
Taxi from airport is around $20. Negotiate. Don't pay more.
Tell him to take you to either Metro or Caribe Tour.

Have you checked the schedule of either bus line to see what time their buses get to where you want to go>?

And, as on good poster has suggested Javilla is cheaper, and more "popular" than the other two lines...and yes, less comfortable.

It is an easy transfer. BTW, I don't think you have told us what time your plane gets in...a mighty important detail..

Have a good trip.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
HB,

Janice.dancer asked this question over a year ago (Dec, 2010), he probably made it to POP by now. ;) lol

I have done the same thing at times, when another poster brings up and old thread.

Don

brody

Jan 8, 2012
Flight gets in at 3:30pm on a Monday

I imagine the earliest bus I could take would be 5pm or so. Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

Brody