Bummer #645392836 for Haiti....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Appears to come from one Agence France report.. sorry.. I have no further info.. EXCEPT that this lake has been flooding for several years.. along with Lake Enriquillo on the Dominican side (which is saltier and does not support tilapia)

Both lakes have been filling up with underwater fresh water springs.

The flooding in Lac Azuei was a matter of urgent concern before the quake since the new customs house flooded regularly and the road was impassable.

There were plans to dig out the canals which helped the sea drain into the sea.. but nothing happened.

I suspect that the fish are dying from an increase in salt.. but that is just my gut speaking..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think it's a reasonable request. Imagine if the government said or did nothing and people started dying from eating the fish.

May 29, 2006
It sounds way to early to say what the cause is. Sometimes there can be bacterial blooms that removes too much oxygen from the water and there can be many other pathogens that would not affect humans eating the fish. It could also be pesticides or other toxins getting into the lake working up the food chain.