Willingness to Merge Haiti and the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
NOTE: Yes, yes I know...."its not going to happen", "Haiti is its own Sovereign State", "the Dominican Republic does not have the resources" etc etc. My question is NOT about IF it will happen, or HOW it could happen. The idea alone appears too much for many to even stomach. So feel free to fore-go answering if that is your angle of reply.

My question is: Based on the attitudes of BOTH Dominicans AND Haitians, and their respective views on Culture, Sovereignty, Identity etc, how willing would they be to Merge the entire Island into one State/Nation etc, IF......IF that meant gradual but CERTAIN relief and growth for Haitians and gradual but CERTAIN development for Dominicans. In other words, what would be the willingness to do such a thing if it certainly meant mutual gain on both sides?? According to how people are now, which 'would be' more important or have more priority- maintaining Identity as separate Nations even if that implied inevitable digression (Economically, Socially, Morally), or certain and definite progression with the price being 'joining', 'uniting' mending any 'open wounds' and working together as ONE Nation??

Please keep in mind, this is a viewpoint question. Again I know, I know....the likeliness of such a scenario is extremely and obviously scare. But the question is more about the attitudes and viewpoints of people as it relates to the mutual benefit of both sides.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bernard I somehow thought you understood something about the Dominican and Haitian cultures until you posted this but then again maybe it's you do understand but really don't care what they want. If the latter is the case thank goodness you're not in charge as we already have enough crazies in charge here. :)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I don't see Haiti and the DR merging directly, for reasons too numerous to list here.

However, I sometimes wonder if a Caribbean Union similar to the European Union might not be beneficial. But that opens up an entirely new discussion, with many, many, many issues that would have to be confronted.

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
As a HAitian I know I shouldn't be saying this but I think the idea of merging the two countries is insane. My people have a way of messing up every place they choose to settle. Look at Little Haiti in Miami. I don't think a merge is the answer to haiti's problems although I do want to see something better for this country.One question I do have most people say Dominicans don't like haitians but I hardly ever felt that when i was there. WHat gives? most people were really nice and sympathetic.Is it because I'm pretty?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most of the countries in Europe that merged cultures/languages are now separate countries. Tribalism in Africa prevents many countries there from becoming successful democracies, so I don't know why you'd think there could be a successful blend of the DR and Haiti into one countries based on past history, present reality, and unknown future. Given how ungrateful Haitians seem to be towards Dominicans, and the uneven press reports, lack of understanding of the issues from Foreign governments, NGO's, and rabble rousers international I don't know why the concept keeps coming up. Personally until Haitians get their collective act together the DR should just build a big wall aka Israel.

Reactions: Tor
Status
Not open for further replies.