Am I much more inclined to find work in SDQ?

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
First and foremost, Happy New year to all and may it be a successful one for you. Also, let me thank all the contributors and the electronic architects of this site that have made it into what it is today. You all are a valuable and intelligent group of individuals.

Preamble: Forgive me if this question is lengthy and sounds pompous, that is not my intention at all. My only intention is to provide enough information to have my question graciously answered to the best of the responders? ability.

Intro:
I?m a U.S. West Coast native 30?s something male graduate student looking for my international living experience. I have made approx 8-10 trips to the DR venturing from SDQ to POP and Cibao areas with some experiences with the nooks and crannies in between.

My longest stay in country would be about a couple of months. I?ve also experienced other countries and many of states in the U.S. I?m street savvy and not the shy humble type. I?m nearly fluent in Spanish but need to fix my ?rough edges? which will only be accomplished through experience. I have tons of work experience, majority of which is in city/government service, office work,?safety and security services? etc?

Agenda: So, this brings me to my agenda. In late spring of 2011, I?m planning a trial run where I will be living in SDQ for about 6 months. My intention is to take classes at one of the language institutes (found via DR1) while perfecting my Spanish I want to work or explore my employment possibilities for my return trip.
In 2012, following the completion of my Grad program I am planning for a 1+ year stay depending on the stability of employment and powers great than my own.

Question: I really enjoy the Cibao area, Santiago in particular. Namely, I have ?friends? there. Sadly, I?ve been told that there are greater opportunities for persons like myself in SDQ or POP, is this true? Although I do enjoy POP, in my humble opinion I believe I would have greater success all around in SQD. Education, work, contacts, closer to Embassy, etc??
Summary: I have read though many of the threads here and found much invaluable information about, safety, survival, housing, education, corruption, people, relationships, etc?AND YES I STILL WANT TO DO THIS?hahaha. No, but seriously, I would like the experiences that come with living abroad good and the bad.

I?ve also explored the many study abroad program(s) option for education and I?d much rather go the independent route. I will NOT be landing in SDQ with a suitcase full of cash; contrarily, I will have ?survival money(so to speak)? to simulate living on a middle to lower income locals salary.

Lastly: how likely, or how successful can I be at achieving my goals in the DR? Is SDQ a better option for me versus POP or Cibao?

Thank you again for your insight.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The problem, as I see it from on high, is that we do not know what you can do: ie. your skill set.
Secondly, I would say that the issue with Santo Domingo is that it is a huge place which nearly demands a car to get around. Yes it offers a lot of different opportunities in all probabilty, but it is a traffic nightmare, and not given to easy movement.

Santiago offers a lot of opportunities and is a whole lot easier to get around in by public transportation at RD$10 or RD$15 a pop. And it is not that spread out.

I tend to doubt that POP can offer many opportunites for employment, but then I repeat, we do not know what you can do.

Happy New Year.

HB

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time out to respond to my inquiry. True, I did leave out specifics about what I am able to do, Thank you.

Now, I guess to summaries what I can do. I am fluent in English, very close to fluency in Spanish. I am highly motivated and highly skilled in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc...My work background is comprised mostly of aviation/customer service and Aviation Law enforcement and security, about 10 years. I don't "necessarily" see how my work experience can be laterally utilized in DR but, who knows?However, I have worked in retail sales and food services for several years and did well and enjoyed it.

Additionally, I have learned many tangible skills in my University undergrad program which now are growing in my Masters program. For example, acquisition of budget and finance skills, occupational Management, business and interpersonal communication, public sector management.

My undergraduate degree is in Criminal Justice, which was a focus of, law, human ecology, government administration, critical thinking and sociology. My graduate program focus more on management and business. Cost analysis, finance, regulation, policy creation and implementation.

So, now i don't currently work in a field where I can utilize all my skills so I join internships where I can keep all of my acquired skills fresh. My last internship was with large non-profit organization. We were charged with creating and executing a health fair with funds only acquired through Donations. I was in charge of logistics, security, business networking and I designed a budget structure for the event. I also managed 5 employees under me. I was able to use all skills to perform my duties well.

thank you and I hope I provided the information that may help us decide what type of work will be right for me in the DR.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Quick and Simple:

Here in SDQ you can find a call center job right away.

Pay between 100-120 an hour (I think) 44 hours a week.

Now, clearly, this is not exactly what you want, but if you are in coming regardless, this is a way to start.

Stream Global Services in Naco is basically always hiring. You could literally email me a resume and you'll be in (as soon as they start a training class, which is typically every 2 weeks lately). Yes, I work for this company :)

You could then use the rest of your day to scout for better opportunities.

This could supplement your lack of a "money suitcase"

I have no idea if this appeals to you, but if so, I can certainly help.

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
Thank you Jeff. I appreciate your kindness. I am a humble honest person, anything is better than nothing. I am not too proud to start from somewhere closer to entry level side of business. Furthermore, I will be a stranger that must prove myself whereby recongnition and advancement will be undeniable; if recognition and the like becomes my choice to pursue.

I will be glad to communicate with you and possibly discuss possibilities for success and learning from your experiences, if you would allow me to do so.
Thank you again
me

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Try Retalia fanancing on Sarasota and Churchill, they are looking for good workers, the job is more than just call centre work so not everyone gets in permanently, they pay 120 per hour plus a good comm once you are picking up clients, 9 to 5 monday to friday, never work weekends which is refreshing as many call centres in SD require you work one of two weekends.
They are a small set up, about 6 employees, mainly Doms, one US but whether he is still there is unknown.
After 3 months you should be bringing in a minimum of $2000US, well that is considered lower end.}I worked in SD for almost 2 year and this place was probably the best earning place I worked. Just as I left one of my pals got a client and earned $4000us for one deal, 3 hours work, so a bit of luck is involved.

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
Try Retalia fanancing on Sarasota and Churchill, they are looking for good workers, the job is more than just call centre work so not everyone gets in permanently, they pay 120 per hour plus a good comm once you are picking up clients, 9 to 5 monday to friday, never work weekends which is refreshing as many call centres in SD require you work one of two weekends.
They are a small set up, about 6 employees, mainly Doms, one US but whether he is still there is unknown.
After 3 months you should be bringing in a minimum of $2000US, well that is considered lower end.}I worked in SD for almost 2 year and this place was probably the best earning place I worked. Just as I left one of my pals got a client and earned $4000us for one deal, 3 hours work, so a bit of luck is involved.

Thank you so much for the info although I think you made a typeo??? Are you saying I can make $2000-4000USD OR tht amount in RD????
ME