Prices in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
I'm planning on going to the Dominican Republic in late February or the beginning of March. I have not been to the Dominican Republic since the summer of 2001, and that was in Sos?a.

What are the prices like in Cabarete these days; lunch/dinner in the various restaurants/caf?es, a beer or a drink in the nightclubs/bars, buying groceries in case we stay in a room with a kicthenette? And possibly the price of renting a car, as we'd probably want to go places?

Thanks.

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
So many views, but unfortunately no replies. Is it a secret or is there a sticky thread with all the answers, that I have missed? :)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
So many views, but unfortunately no replies. Is it a secret or is there a sticky thread with all the answers, that I have missed? :)

Maybe because it is a very open ended question.

It all depends on your tastes. Cabarete has something for everyone. From the well heeled, to the budget back-packer.

If you are from Europe or North America, bring enough money to do those things you listed in your own country and you'll probably have change after your visit.

Provided you avoid Jose O'shays. His prices are just outrageous!

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, you are asking a very open ended question. If you give some parameters, such as, 1. You will stay in a condo and cook one meal a day and eat out one meal a day 2. You drink alcohol 3. You are willing to eat "local," having one special meal during your stay, or 4. You want to eat out on the beach each night and stay late, with no limits.

I have had guests stay at my guest house on a budget of $50 US for 2 people a day. I have also had guests who spent upwards of $100 - $150 a day.

Each person vacations differently. Beeza's advice was good.

If you can give more information, we may be able to be more helpful.

Lindsey

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The only things that are relatively cheap in the Dominican are cigarettes, booze, and the company of women.

You will find that you'll pay just as much, if not more, for groceries at the supermarket. Local produce will be cheap, but that's about it.

Anything that is imported into the country you will pay a higher price for.

:chinese::cry::chinese:

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Thanks for your replies.

Well, I am from Copenhagen (Denmark) so I am used to things being expensive :). But I am disappointed if prices has really gone up like that - that's not quite how I remember it 10 years ago. Of course, I suppose the prices are still way lower outside the major tourist areas?

Hotel, hostel, apartment, guest house - it doesn't really matter. Personally, I would prefer a place with our own little kitchen so we will be able to cook our own meals when we feel like it.

Oh yes, we drink alcohol :). When I initially posted my thread, I was looking for something like; "a beer is $2 in a bar" kind of answers. I thought that was pretty straight forward.

We don't have any urge to eat at finer restaurants. And if there are restaurants with local food, I would very much enjoy that.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you eat on the beach, you pay the price. Many rest. have specials. There are a lot of good , cheap rest. in town. Caberete East (toco tues.) all you can eat 280rd. If you here for 3 months you'll find where to go. It all depends on you.

Nov 10, 2010
Maybe because it is a very open ended question.

It all depends on your tastes. Cabarete has something for everyone. From the well heeled, to the budget back-packer.

If you are from Europe or North America, bring enough money to do those things you listed in your own country and you'll probably have change after your visit.

Provided you avoid Jose O'shays. His prices are just outrageous!

That is true no change out of $40 for a mea and a few drinks. Casanovas has a meal deal going before 6 ( it may not be on at present) I have eaten at restaurants on the beach for $15......... a meal and a couple of oj's try walking east along the beach and sample a few restaurants towards the end of the restaurant strip. I like cabarete, it has a really cool feel to it!

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
It was a long time since I was there but I always remember the price level to be higher than the "comedores" that you could find in Sosua. There are many tourists there so it is not surprising. Especially at the beach the hamburgers almost had european prices. I've probably missed something as the poster before me pointed out.

I agree that Cabarete has a really cool feel to it though:)

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
You mentioned Dominican food. Sandro's (near Servi Med etc. and on the other side of the road from the beach) is always good and the prices fair (a bit higher than typical comedores, but possibly a better quality food, too). You can get an excellent meal and a large, natural juice for about 200 pesos.

I really like the Chinese restaurant just a few doors along, and not too expensive - reckon on about 600 pesos for two, including a soft drink.

I find Casanova very hit and miss and although their food is half price (someone said happy hour now covers about four hours but not sure about that) but the size of their pizzas have also gone down by about half recently. I find a lot of places are trying to hold their prices but cutting down on portions as everything in the shops is more expensive. Still worth a try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.