Orange Prepaid Data

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
Hello All,

I am currently in Punta Cana and will be heading up to Puerta Plata later in the week. I arrived from Canada with T-Mobile G2 (HTC G2) unlocked cell phone.

The G2 can handle these frequencies:
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 1700 / 2100

There seems to be some confusion here for me as far as getting any sort of PREPAID access to the Orange network. With this phone I would probably end up with 2G EDGE data access, which is fine.

Here's where the confusion comes in - I was at the local Orange shop here and the person at the counter sold me a prepaid SIM card with 60 pesos of access for a total of 100 DR pesos, but he REFUSED to give me prepaid data access. He kept insisting on seeing a blackberry and that this "HTC" phone was not possible.

I have voice working and have made a few phone calls.

What I would like to know is - is it possible to get prepaid data access for the 1-2 weeks I'll be here (over and above the current voice). I don't see why it isn't possible - or why the person at the shop insisted on seeing a Blackberry. There is a language barrier here, and speaking only English is not helpful, I know.. I'm trying to learn.

I have noticed others here mentioning that pre-paid data is only possible when you buy the Orange.net (or Orange USB Modem).. can you give me an idea of cost with this because it seems like a waste of money to be forced to buy something I won't use (I just want data on my cell phone, I don't have a computer here). If there are any keywords I should use that might help me find what I need.. ?

Thanks for your assistance on this..
Kevin

mike.s

Oct 1, 2008
Orange net

I was in the DR for 2 weeks in November and bought the USB Internet (1800. Pesos) 100 pesos for 24 hours use. Worked very well. The stick has a sim card in it that you could use in your phone. The only thing I found odd is you buy the stick at orange but to top it up you have to to a pharmacy to top it up. You don't use the phone cards to top it up. This may be why you can't have prepaid phone and data on the same device.

Reactions: Tamborista

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
Hi rubio_higuey,

In neither of the posts you reference too - do you answer any of the questions I asked. Your condescending tone is also useless in helping me understand more about my predicament. Many of what you say is mostly indecipherable here, such as:

Prepaid data will not work with your 3G pone (they will not activate it without your buying the modem).

It appears as though your saying the modem is required, but references no company or even which company requires you buy a modem or not. Even worse, no mention of cost.

Another one of your glaringly un-useful answers:

Orange Dominicana ™ - Orange net

You can use your 3G/HSDPA phone only with postpaid data plans, on pepaid you have to buy a wireless data modem apart.

This also doesn't explain that, for prepaid data, that a USB modem is required. Nor does it highlight the fact that prepaid data and voice are separated. i was more confiused when I searched and found your answer before posting here.

My advice for you, work to provide straight answers if you do answer a question, not bitch about having to answer multiple times because you can't seem to find a way to give something of more substance. I appreciate the help, not being talked down too. I would certainly not talk to you like that if I had information you might find useful.

mike.s - your answer was much more helpful - thank you. The USB stick (at 1800 pesos) is going to HAVE to be purchased from Orange and is pretty-much a throwaway - the SIM card in the device is place in my phone and used from then on.

This all seems very convoluted that you'd be forced to get a USB stick for access to prepaid data - perhaps understanding the rational behind that would be useful? This is the information I was looking for, thanks!

I still don't know why the fellow at the counter insisted on seeing a blackberry - I was thinking he just had never seen my phone before (it is fairly new). Considering my phone was sold by an American carrier (labelled as t_mobile) and used in Canada (on WIND Mobile) - I tried to explain that to him - but he insisted my phone was still locked.. :)

The more information out there about the particulars of cell coverage in the DR, the better! These scenarios are not the same in Canada at all.

Thanks,
Kevin

Reactions: Tamborista
Feb 7, 2007
I was in the DR for 2 weeks in November and bought the USB Internet (1800. Pesos) 100 pesos for 24 hours use. Worked very well. The stick has a sim card in it that you could use in your phone. The only thing I found odd is you buy the stick at orange but to top it up you have to to a pharmacy to top it up. You don't use the phone cards to top it up. This may be why you can't have prepaid phone and data on the same device.

Same with Claro. You have to use electronic means to recharge, if you buy the Orange/Claro card there is PIN and there is no way to enter the PIN into data SIM. You have to do electronic recharge via an POS machine (e.g. in Pharmacies) or the red recharge kiosks that are now popping up around the country. You can also transfer balance to the number using "pasa tus fondos"
Once the SIM card is recharged you have to call customer service to activate the prepaid plan of your choice (with Claro) I guess it's the same with Orange.

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
Thanks for the info rubio_higuey,

I'm planning on giving this a shot in the next few days.. I'll be buying the USB Modem and getting prepaid data for my phone - I'll post my experience when I do it..

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Kevin