Options near town, but not in town?

hawkeye47

Jan 2, 2011
Hi all -
I've been reading posts for weeks now and have some questions - my family is planning our first trip to LT this summer. We really don't want to have a rental car, so it is key that we are within walking distance of town. We'd like to be within 1km of town and within 200m of the beach (we have 2 little ones, ages 6 & 3 - they won't be up for long walks all over the place). Ideally, we'd like a 2 or 3 bedroom place, preferably in a complex (not a stand alone villa).
I've had a hard time pinpointing the location of places geographically, so I am hoping someone can help me find some ideas for rentals. I've heard VERY mixed reviews on Playa Turchese, as well as other locations. I've also had a hard time learning the coastal geography and which beaches are directly east/west of town.
The hardest part is that some sites say a place is right on the beach, then another site will say it is a 10 minute walk, so I'm hoping someone can clarify things for me.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!
Dave

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hi all -
I've been reading posts for weeks now and have some questions - my family is planning our first trip to LT this summer. We really don't want to have a rental car, so it is key that we are within walking distance of town. We'd like to be within 1km of town and within 200m of the beach (we have 2 little ones, ages 6 & 3 - they won't be up for long walks all over the place). Ideally, we'd like a 2 or 3 bedroom place, preferably in a complex (not a stand alone villa).
I've had a hard time pinpointing the location of places geographically, so I am hoping someone can help me find some ideas for rentals. I've heard VERY mixed reviews on Playa Turchese, as well as other locations. I've also had a hard time learning the coastal geography and which beaches are directly east/west of town.
The hardest part is that some sites say a place is right on the beach, then another site will say it is a 10 minute walk, so I'm hoping someone can clarify things for me.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!
Dave

I have 2 toddlers and I stay within town since I don't have a car. Your best bet would be near Playa Ballenas as it is quiet, by the beach and a short walk to the center of town.

Again, you should be fine everywhere except in las Lomas (hills around LT) and playa Bonita is also little out of the way (I turned down a rental there cause I didn't want be isolated without a car).

There are a few LT residents on this board, you should double-check with them once you find something.

I have a few contacts that can help you with your search. PM if you're interested .

Good luck !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT Accomodations

Dave:

It is a little difficult to answer your questions unless you tell me where you are coming from and how long you will be in Las Terrenas. If you are flying in to Las Americas in Santo Domingo then you are better off to rent a car because it will cost you $200-250.00USD from the airport to LT if you hire a taxi. Also, what price range of accomadation are you looking for. They are varied in number and price. You need to supply more specifics if you want the right info.

S

Reactions: Africaida

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
playa las ballenas is the nicest in LT in my opinion. try hotel alisei or playa colibri. both are 15 min walks into town but very safe for the kiddies and not much traffic. if these are not in your budget there are more options. the drive is not too difficult from las americas (sdq) airport if you decide to rent a car but it is not needed if you get a taxi.

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
Taxi from Sto Domingo to LT

I totally agree with Ben Jamin, Playa Ballenas is the best for you - and the best beach is in front of Playa Colibri.
If you decide to take a taxi from the airport, ask the hotel to send you one from LT, they know the road well and will bring you safely there.

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
options near town but not in town

Hi, We own a 2 br apt in a gated complex. it is perfect for a family and is fully equiped. Check it out on Homeaway.com #327973. Thanks