Donating School Supplies in Puerto Plata

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
If any of you who are visiting Puerto Plata and would like to drop off some school supplies, I found a public school with a honest and highly-recommended director.

Address
Gregorio Luperon,
Calle 5, Escuela G. Luperon
Barrio Nuevo

They especially need supplies for the lower grades -- 1st Grade ? 5th and sports equipment. With permission of the school director, I?m publishing his contact information.

Director
Miguel Acevedo Bobadilla
Tel. 809.920.0224 ? office
miguelboba(at)hotmail.com

icu_nxtime

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks

Contacted and in touch With him.

Always like to help out when visiting.

BTW how much for a taxi about 5km from the hotel to the school ?

Reactions: margaret

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Contacted and in touch With him.

Always like to help out when visiting.

BTW how much for a taxi about 5km from the hotel to the school ?

We got a lift from an employee at the Marien on his day off. He volunteered once he knew that I wanted get to this school to drop supplies. Which hotel will you be going to? Ask around. Many people are really happy to assist you and would never ask you for anything especially when they know you're going to do something for kids in a underfunded public school. That's my experience.

Thanks for doing this, I wish I could do more.

icu_nxtime

Jan 17, 2011
Margaret, We are staying at the Occidental Allegro, I hope it is a good resort, review are mixed but we don't have exceedingly high expectations, I know we are coming to a 3rd world country and not Vegas or something ritzy :)

I have one large suitcase dedicated to the donations which include mainly school supplies, some shoes, a few sporting supplies and some treats for the kids.

We also rounded up some younger kids books in english that hopefully will be of use, I figured english at a younger level would be good for older kids that may benefit from them as a second language option.

I have been in contact with Miguel and had mentioned to him that I would try and get the hotel to shuttle us over.

I also asked him if my boys would be allowed to interact and perhaps participate in a soccer game while they are there if a class has outdoor time. We would supply the ball of course !

We live a fortunate life here in Canada and I hope our kids can realize that and have a sense of pride in helping out a community that isn't so lucky as us.

I recall a trip to Cuba with my parent's at an early age about 9 I think. That will be in my mind forever meeting and interacting with locals and the community, even sharing lunch with some of the performers outside of the resort area. We got to see how they lived and their have and have nots. I guess it affected them to as the band actually showed up from the resort to see us off at the airport, it was truly an amazing experience and good feeling to know we can affect people with kindness even if we don't speak the same language !

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I hope you have a great vacation! I'm sure the school will appreciate your donation. You're teaching a powerful lesson in community spirit to your children, just as your parents did and I agree personal interaction with people outside the resort will make for a long lasting memory that's richer than any cookie cutter All-inclusive resort experience.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I don't want to be a kill-joy or anything, but considering kids only go to school for half a day, I don't think you should expect to distrupt their school day. Although I had a similar experience in Cuba many years ago and I wasn't even donating materials.

That's up to the school director. Also, I think it's a delicate matter, making a public show of giving and receiving donations especially from foreigners (Gringos). I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. As a good teacher, you wouldn't want to teach your class that they should look and depend on charitable donations but assert themselves and demand the 4% that is constitutionally their Right. One thing I really liked about this director, was that it was evident that he was supporting the campaign for 4%.