Out of SDQ by Public Transportation....to?

Jun 5, 2004
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the public transportation leaving SDQ. I have read that I can walk and exit the airport to the main road and catch a bus there to take me into the city. Couple of questions:

1. Where in the city does the bus take me? (Trying to get to El Conde so stops close by would help)

2. How much is the ride?

3. I also read somewhere in the forum that some guaguas went into the airport and dropped off/picked up towards the far left (or right?) of the main terminal's departure level. Is this still going on? I would rather do this because I would save myself the walk, plus it seems much safer since i would not have to cross roads (ie:/Autopista Las Americas)

A bit off-Topic... At Santo Domingo Airport are there any Orange or Viva stores?

Thanks!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the public transportation leaving SDQ. I have read that I can walk and exit the airport to the main road and catch a bus there to take me into the city.

If you've read that on here, you should have also read the numerous advices against that. It's not a short walk, and is probably not a safe walk for various reasons that have been discussed to death on here on DR1

Couple of questions:

1. Where in the city does the bus take me? (Trying to get to El Conde so stops close by would help)

The bus enters the city by the main bridge over the Ozama River and continues along Av. 27 de Febrero. Since you seem to be so keen on unsafe walks, you could try to alight immediately after crossing the river and make your way down to the Zona Colonial by foot - the only good thing is that it's a shorter distance than the walk from the airport to the highway!

2. How much is the ride?

Probably much less than half of what the taxi fare would be - and the taxi fare could be as little as US$30, and it would take much less than half the time of your projected walk/bus/walk journey. You will even get an airconditioned ride.

3. I also read some where in the forum that some guaguas went into the airport and dropped off/picked up towards the far left (or right?) of the main terminal's departure level. Is this still going on? I would rather do this because I would save myself the walk, plus it seems much safer since i would not have to cross roads (ie:/Autopista Las Americas)

Use your friend the <SEARCH> function and read all the pros & cons. A lot has been posted about picking up cheap rides from guaguas and taxis on the departures level after they have dropped their passengers and are anticipating an unprofitable empty run back to the city.

IMHO, pay the US$30 for an official taxi at the arrivals exit at ground level, enjoy the safe ride with A/C and arrive at El Conde, fresh, relaxed and ready to enjoy your first Presidente, rather than sweaty, fatigued and shaky (best case scenario) or worse, sweaty, fatigued, shaky and minus your wallet and your luggage........

A bit off-Topic... At Santo Domingo Airport are there any Orange or Viva stores?

Thanks!

Can't help you with this one, but no doubt, many of our regulars will offer their input.
Enjoy your stay,
Bryan

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........IMHO, pay the US$30 for an official taxi at the arrivals exit at ground level, enjoy the safe ride with A/C and arrive at El Conde, fresh, relaxed and ready to enjoy your first Presidente, rather than sweaty, fatigued and shaky (best case scenario) or worse, sweaty, fatigued, shaky and minus your wallet and your luggage........

It will be worth it.

Only thing I think the rate is now $40 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Just let the cab driver know you are willing to pay 1,000 $RD. The driver will either accept your offer or find another passenger to share the ride with you. The cab driver collects un mil from two passengers so he is happy and you have a nice ride into town.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It will be worth it.

Only thing I think the rate is now $40 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Just let the cab driver know you are willing to pay 1,000 $RD. The driver will either accept your offer or find another passenger to share the ride with you. The cab driver collects un mil from two passengers so he is happy and you have a nice ride into town.

You are correct. The rate for SDQ to El Conde and vicinity is stated as $40 US but drivers will gladly accept multiple passengers. They have a guy acting as "dispatcher" with the rate chart for all area hotels looking all official but if one walks over to the discharge area there are deals to be made if it's done with discretion however I wouldn't recommend that for a first ime visitor either. It's better to find another single traveller and arrange a shared taxi ride.

The OP should be made aware of the fact that the use of all forms of public transportation in the Dominican Capital is only adviseable if one has an intimate knowledge of the area and a strong understanding of the language. It is full of the same dangers as any impoverished urban setting. One should take the tourist route and gradually earn your independence by learning the lay of the land.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
you can take moto to the highway and cost 50-60 peso ( less than $2) or you can try to negotiate taxi for 100 peso ( less than $3) to highway.Than you take guagua for 50-60 peso. total cost less than $5. you need to know basic spanish ,familiar to take guagua, secure your valuable.otherwise just spent $40 for taxi.

Jun 5, 2004
O.K. so got to Santo Domingo a couple of days ago and decided to do the public transportation....I went upstairs to the Departures level and decided to walk around a bit...while walking towards the exit ramp a motoconcho offered a ride which I declined (since I had the intention of finding the bus that left out of the airport) after doing some more walking around, a bus pulled up (it was not a Caribe Tours or anything but rather a reg bus) which when got filled up headed to the city. The charge was 60 pesos and am not sure where the terminal was but its right across the street from the Transporte Espinal Station which travels to Santiago...