Punta Cana Local

travel62

Jan 4, 2011
I will be extending a business trip for a few days. I will be with a co-worker and we want to get away from the mega resorts. Any good ideas of where to stay or good day trips to local towns?
We will have a car. Extensive international driving experience so I'm not worried about that aspect.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
A fine place to stay

Apart-Hotel Liriocala you will love this place and the price
you can check it here.
ALFREDO BLANCO DIRECTOR DE SPOT APART HOTEL LIRIO-CALA

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Macao beach & Bayahibe

Take a drive to Macao beach, 55 minutes north of Punta Cana airport. Undeveloped beach, large wide bay, surf to the left, calm water to the far right. Great little rustic shack/restaurant at far right of bay, serves fresh fish and cold beers.

Bayahibe on the south coast is 90 minutes drive from Punta Cana. Plenty of small, inexpensive accommodation in the village. It's a quiet fishing village, great diving, snorkeling and the launch spot for boat rides to Saona and Catalina islands. Several small restaurants and bars on the beach/around the bay. Drink a mojito at Cafecito Cubanas, watch the sunset over the sea, :)

if going from macao beach to higuey - take the 105, less traffic, more scenic route.

Have fun exploring!

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great Tips from Yumi above,
just to add also Boca de Yuma, also 90 minutes towards the south, nice lil restaurants, Fishing Town Flair, Lodging available.

Sky,
when You come from Friusa and drive toward the Iberostar, right after Ferreteria Americana turn left, you see the place on the left side.
never been there.
Surroundings are not what I would name the safest Area after Sunset up there.

Mike

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
To really get off the beaten path, take a 3 hour drive north to Miches. You can stay at the Coco Loco Hotel on the beach and visit one of the most pristine beaches in the DR: Playa Esmeralda, about 20 minutes east of Miches.

The road is bumpy but the country scenery is unparrelleled. Coco Loco has basic, but clean and comfortable accommodations with a great restaurant.

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
Whats the name of the beach near Macao? When leaving Macao towards Otra Banda, a left turn is made on 104. Near the beach is an area where the river and ocean meet; very quiet and rocky in some places.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Whats the name of the beach near Macao? When leaving Macao towards Otra Banda, a left turn is made on 104. Near the beach is an area where the river and ocean meet; very quiet and rocky in some places.

I could be wrong, but the beach to the north of Macao is called Uvero Alto. If you walk from Playa Macao to Uvero Alto, there is a river that meets the ocean. I don't know if this beach has a name but maybe this is the spot you are talking about.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is still Macao Beach, the border to Uvero Alto, as You both suggested. I would not know of a specific name for that piece of beach. the River mouth is quiet a great spot for light tackle fishing, a bit uncomfo to reach the good spots but well worth the hassle to get some scratches to reach there.

Mike