Amnesty International Report: SEXUAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN INCREASING

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Nothing but sadness from Haiti...

Just another sign of abject poverty and absolute societal breakdown.

This is like rereading "Lord of the Flies" every time you pick up a newspaper with an article about Haiti.

Haiti is worse off now than it was under the Duvaliers.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I can feel the love :)

Not really a matter of respect but as Greydread pointed out a sign of poverty and absolute societal breakdown. In conflicts, women and children are often the first victims.

I also think that if the UN or whomever is found responsible for bringing cholera into Haiti, they should own up to it and learn from it.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
In situations where there is a lack of control and order some people try to gain it through abuse and violence over those who are weaker :(. They just don't seem to understand the consequences. More information and education about violence and what it involves can definitely be helpful.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Haitian police has to do something about this......au jour d'hui.

Absolutely cannot allow these predators to live.

Wyclef mentioned this in a recent interview....that some of the escaped criminals and scumbags from demolished jails are back in society and that so called Haitian leadership isn't doing anything to protect the women and girls in general and in the camps specifically.

Incompetence on a wide scale is directly why so many buildings crumbled and so many people died.....now, because of the living conditions..this gross incompetence by Haitians who have authority are putting the most vulnerable in harm's way.

Back when everybody wasn't packed in the city like they are now..and people lived in villes where all the families knew each other....when these types of things happened....people would disappear..

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Hardly, does your brain fully function? Perhaps you could persuade some of your fellow young Haitian brothers to show more respect to women. Even before the earthquake sexual violence was a huge problem in Haiti- why?

it is trivializing sexual violence...

did you enter this thread or bring up the U.N because you actually CARE one bit about any Haitian woman or girl who has been victimized?

I doubt it.

question has to be asked...what is your motivation for asking whether the UN would be blamed for Haitian "scumbags' raping Haitian women/girls?

I told the board that you should be banned, before.

Keep being yourself and it will become more and more evident to others why you should be banned.

Thread about RAPES

and dude is actually taking jabs and shots at ME, how callous...how childish....how lame

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Is there even a functioning or competent Haitian police getthesenets ?

My uncle is down there....lived abroad as an adult and is down there now as a senior

He said that there are good competent cops down there..but the force isn't organized...even pre Quake.

As is usually the case, police exist more to guard property of those with money than keep the populace safe.

Past years and decades....the city is being flooded with more people than the resources can manage....so cops even if they were competent and trained....would be strained....

Rapes absolutely can't be tolerated though......one is too many, but when it starts becoming common....you don't have society anymore...

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
In situations where there is a lack of control and order some people try to gain it through abuse and violence over those who are weaker :(. They just don't seem to understand the consequences. More information and education about violence and what it involves can definitely be helpful.

I agree that assaults and rape are more about power and control than about anything else.

BUT

I think people who assert "power" through sexual violence need to be shot in the face.....they FULLY understand what they are doing and the consequences. Human beings violating other human beings know EXACTLY what they are doing and that it is wrong.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Keep being yourself and it will become more and more evident to others why you should be banned.

Yeah, that's never going to happen! Bob is a respected poster who's been here since 2002 or earlier. We might disagree on some things but that's not enough to get banned for. I really don't think you understood what he posted and decided to jump all over him for your personal agenda and grievances dude.

So what are you doing about this situation in Haiti besides jumping on Bob?

Reactions: AlterEgo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
it is trivializing sexual violence...

did you enter this thread or bring up the U.N because you actually CARE one bit about any Haitian woman or girl who has been victimized?

I doubt it.

question has to be asked...what is your motivation for asking whether the UN would be blamed for Haitian "scumbags' raping Haitian women/girls?

Thread about RAPES

and dude is actually taking jabs and shots at ME, how callous...how childish....how lame

Yes, you are special, no doubt. When you read a article about Haiti or read an article written by Haitians there is a tendency for them to blame outside agencies, the USA, the UN, or Haitian Elites. The blame can certainly be spread around but in the case of sexual violence it can only be blamed on the perpetrator. I am a father of girls and boys, and have numerous nieces and have had sexual violence victims in my extended family. I don't trivialize violence of any kind, sexual or not. You may not like what I say - too bad - ignore me.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Yeah, that's never going to happen! Bob is a respected poster who's been here since 2002 or earlier. We might disagree on some things but that's not enough to get banned for. I really don't think you understood what he posted and decided to jump all over him for your personal agenda and grievances dude.

didn't know that you were a mod.and could make such decisions

I'm doing what I've been doing for my relatives and people down there, what my family has been doing since 1973 actually.

Trying to get visas for as many of them as possible to get out and live somewhere where they can live life and work hard and improve the chances for their children.

Sending money, equipment and shipping the occasional Isuzu NPR down there for my people to engage in commerce.

I think I'm one of the few people on this board who is actually Haitian, so may connection and ties and dealings with my people run deeper than most on this board. I'm less likely to give people passes for saying foolish/callous things about Haitians than most here are, apparently.

THAT'S what I'm doing.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Yes, you are special, no doubt. When you read a article about Haiti or read an article written by Haitians there is a tendency for them to blame outside agencies, the USA, the UN, or Haitian Elites. The blame can certainly be spread around but in the case of sexual violence it can only be blamed on the perpetrator. I am a father of girls and boys, and have numerous nieces and have had sexual violence victims in my extended family. I don't trivialize violence of any kind, sexual or not. You may not like what I say - too bad - ignore me.

I didn't know that I was responsible for what every article you've read about Haiti or written BY Haitians stated.

You're making things up as you go along. Your response in this thread and your direct response in the other thread were direct result of my comments on this board. Just be honest with yourself.

And while you are being honest with yourself...go back and read my ACTUAL comments.....and out of 10 comments I've made about cholera.....8 of them have pointed finger at UN AND the local HAITIAN waste disposal company which by 99% of indications violated rules/regulations about distance from running water.

I guess people read what they want to read...so person who identifies with blan....will only see that gethesenets is blaming the UN and overlook that almost every single time that I've pointed fingers at all the parties directly involved with bringing more death to the Haitian people.

I don't know whether it's just the racism that exists in this hemisphere. color caste discrimination which exists in Latin america or the fact that people seem to not be able to respect beggars( and that is certainly the image of Haitians globally-that we are always begging for help,aid,money,food,medicine) but several of the comments on this board state explicitly that many do not respect Haitians as human beings.

In the city you live in....if there was some kind of medical epidemic, I'd bet that the citizens would demand for the authorities to give them information about the origins of it. Why do you get so indignant that other HUMAN BEINGS want the same thing?

Why do you think the international community has been slow to give more donations to the U.N. to "combat cholera"?

Please just answer the questions in this post and I'll ignore you from this point on....and you do the same.

PLEASE MODS......don't delete...have to settle this once and for all.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Can we get back to the subject and you 2 take your crap and petty fighting private. The rest of us don't want to read it.

This is truly sad.It is sad and heartbreaking on so many levels. I for one was not aware this was a serious problem pre earthquake and it has escalated.

What struck me was the attitude of I can't do anything about it and no one else seems to be doing anything either. This effects the women raped and all the women around them,their children both male and female. It can create a pervasive acceptance of this being part of their lot in life!

On top of everything else this needs to be dealt with! But how? They can't even get clean drinking water. They can't get housing. They don't feel safe! Heartbreaking.

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Fair ??

Is doing something about this situation in Haiti a requirement before posting about Haiti ( or jumping on Bob ;) ) ? Because, in reality, very few people can do anything about it, but it doesn't take away the fact that we feel sad and frustrated about the situation.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm doing what I've been doing for my relatives and people down there, what my family has been doing since 1973 actually.

Trying to get visas for as many of them as possible to get out and live somewhere where they can live life and work hard and improve the chances for their children.
......I'm less likely to give people passes for saying foolish/callous things about Haitians than most here are, apparently.

THAT'S what I'm doing.

Okay fine but the thread is not about you.

What is happening in Haiti right now is the direct result of anarchy, chaos and poverty. We're getting on-the-ground reports of a society that is de-evolving into primortal beastiality where not only laws but societal and cultural values are being stripped away, leaving the old and the weak at the mercy of the strong and the ruthless.

If they caught the escaped prisoners what could they possibly do with them besides kill them where they stand? The entire country is becoming a prison, Hell prison would be safer than the streets of PAP.

The violence and despair which exists in Haiti is on the scale of war torn African nations or the former Yugoslav republics at the turn of the 20th Century except that there is no war in Haiti.

? What influences could wreak war time havoc on a nation at peace? Could it perhaps be the interference from foreign governments? If that is the case then how could additional interference from these same governments be the cure? That's like pouring acid on an acid burn to make the pain stop.

The World has only two options. Go in full force, police, feed, clothe, house, employ, educate and rebuild Haiti (in the middle of a global recession, mind you) or otherwise just walk away. What they've been doing to date and especially in the past year with the different orgs. pointing the blame fingers at one another and tripping over one another to offer too little, too late help is nothing short of criminal. Removing Aristide (physically removing him to the African continent for his "safety") whom none can disagree was the overwhelming winner of a fair democratic election was nothing short of criminal.

What is happening to Women and Children in Haiti's tent cities is a picture of the bottom of the abyss of Human depravity. There's nowhere to go but up now. Rebuild from scratch. Send Clinton home. Send OXFAM home. Send the UN and the multitude of NGO's home. Invite the Chinese to set up farming collectives and the Indians to set up distribution points to the Chinese and Indian markets in the Caribbean and in Asia and invite the Koreans to build and develop their shipping infrastructure and the firms in Abu Dhabi and Dubai to manage the ports.

What Haiti needs is a new set of partners who don't have any old axes to grind.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Haiti isn't at "war" as defined by dictionary, but there has been almost continuous and continual tensions in place for over 200 years. These tensions have hampered ANY kind of political stability...and have created situation where might NOT logic solves problems.

house of cards.