Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
I've been reading a lot of horror stories about driving in the DR. I've been before but wasn't driving---don't remember that it was so insane though. I live in a major urban center so I'm fairly comforable behind the wheel but I'll be driving this trip just on the main hwy between POP and Cabarete checking out beaches within an hours drive or so. I don't plan on driving at night except on arrival at sunset. Anything I need to know to keep myself safe behind the wheel?

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've been reading a lot of horror stories about driving in the DR. I've been before but wasn't driving---don't remember that it was so insane though. I live in a major urban center so I'm fairly comforable behind the wheel but I'll be driving this trip just on the main hwy between POP and Cabarete checking out beaches within an hours drive or so. I don't plan on driving at night except on arrival at sunset. Anything I need to know to keep myself safe behind the wheel?

Take the bus:cheeky: That will keep you safe..But seriously, try not to drive at night...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
driving in the daytime is a piece of cake, except in the towns like cabarete or gasper hernandez, just take your time and be cautious. the roads are real good east of puerto plata and there are a lot of real pretty beaches to see. have fun
oh yea, like rsg says don't drive at night

Last edited:

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
driving

Driving at night isnt so bad but......:
-its dark, and streets typically arent well lit
-since the streets arent lit you have to pay extra attention to mottos, potholes, and speed bumps
-know exactly where you are going, R.D. isnt known for having great street signs, and you might not want to ask the 1st tiguere you see for directions.
-lots of things close at 5-6pm. so if something does happen it will can be hard to fine a gomero/tire shop

About the cars passing. My novia had to get tints on her car, so drivers cant tell whether she male or female (she drives as good as any man i know). She says that if cars see that she is a female they will never let her merge in, turn, and try to cut her off at all times.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Driving at night isnt so bad but......:
-its dark, and streets typically arent well lit
-since the streets arent lit you have to pay extra attention to mottos, potholes, and speed bumps

Motos at night don't necessarily have or use lights and a lot of other things can show up on the road (donkeys, animals etc) depending on where you are

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like if I keep my wits about me I should be fine.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like if I keep my wits about me I should be fine.

No, you won't be. You can be as safe, courteous and alert as you possibly can, but if some dominican Evel Kinievel hits YOU, YOU are at fault. And You are responsible for damages and medical costs - immediately.

No trial, no judge. Thats the way it works here.

And unless you can hand over enough cash to satisfy everyone on the spot ( the damaged party, the cops, the judge, the lawyer you don't even have yet) you will probably go to jail until it's settled.

Those are the facts.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I usually rent from National. Buy the tire and windshield insurance only, use my amex and also buy extra travel insurance from AccessAmerica ( $53 usd a month). Drive around a few days and get the feel of the roads before driving at night.

As for accident insurances your Amex covers most for the car. The AccessAmerica ins. covers your medical and the rental also but it is iffy on what they cover for 3rd parties. Not sure about legal fees. But i beliece if you rent with the Amex they may cover them also.

Call your credit card company and then have them send you the FAQ on renting a car outside the your home country. Lotsa fine print and some cards do not cover high risk countries.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
No, you won't be. You can be as safe, courteous and alert as you possibly can, but if some dominican Evel Kinievel hits YOU, YOU are at fault. And You are responsible for damages and medical costs - immediately.

And unless you can hand over enough cash to satisfy everyone on the spot ( the damaged party, the cops, the judge, the lawyer you don't even have yet) you will probably go to jail until it's settled.

Those are the facts.

OK but you are the first person to say this really. If those are indeed "the facts" i would imagine the jails are filled with foreigners stupid enough to rent a car rotting until their case is settled? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it contradicts everything else that has been said in this thread...anyone else able to corroborate this?

Jan 17, 2009
I usually rent from National. Buy the tire and windshield insurance only, use my amex and also buy extra travel insurance from AccessAmerica ( $53 usd a month). Drive around a few days and get the feel of the roads before driving at night.

As for accident insurances your Amex covers most for the car. The AccessAmerica ins. covers your medical and the rental also but it is iffy on what they cover for 3rd parties. Not sure about legal fees. But i beliece if you rent with the Amex they may cover them also.

Call your credit card company and then have them send you the FAQ on renting a car outside the your home country. Lotsa fine print and some cards do not cover high risk countries.

You should check your Amex and credit cards coverage carefully. I even bought additional coverage from Amex (additional since I had my VISA coverage) only to find out that neither covers liability, and liability is probably the most important here. If you have an accident and another person is badly injured, whether you're at fault or not, your vehicle will be impounded and you will spend the night in jail until you can post bail. A judge needs to decide who was a fault. It's not just a simple fact that he hit my car, my car wasn't moving sort of thing. If someone is injured you're guilty until proven innocent.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first my advice re: driving. always look in the mirrors. dominicans never do and sometimes they do not have mirrors to look into. never expect other drivers to behave reasonably. it just does not happen here :)
having said that - driving here is easy if you have experience. and are careful.

as far as accidents: a lot depends on whom or what you hit. a motor is bad news because you will be surrounded by other motors within seconds, everyone shouting. the best thing to do if you hit someone/something is NOT TO STOP. drive directly to the police station. call for help as you are getting there: a lawyer, friend, insurance agent. i know gringos who had small accidents in DR and no was was thrown into prison. but pay up they did. sometimes a lot.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
You should check your Amex and credit cards coverage carefully. I even bought additional coverage from Amex (additional since I had my VISA coverage) only to find out that neither covers liability, and liability is probably the most important here. If you have an accident and another person is badly injured, whether you're at fault or not, your vehicle will be impounded and you will spend the night in jail until you can post bail. A judge needs to decide who was a fault. It's not just a simple fact that he hit my car, my car wasn't moving sort of thing. If someone is injured you're guilty until proven innocent.

Spot on ex-pat. Just went all over Amex and AcessAmerica and neither cover liability. Only the rental replacement up to 50g on Access or a $800 deductible on Amex. Amex was spotty on the legal help. I read 10g for legal help but was told by a rep that it is an advance on the card needing to be repayed. I had a bang up years ago and my platinum MC covered all but $500 put on my card by the rental company. My buddy, wife and her 2 Dom sisters were a bit banged up but they had insurance and all bills were covered.

As for police please keep all the embassy #'s written in your passport or on your color copy. Keep a Codetel and Orange phone on you if in the mountains or out of the tourist areas. I went off the road in the mountains at 1am and thank god a group of awesome Doms were behind us. They got help and pulled the car out of the life saving ditch before a 200 meter journey down a steep hill. Hid the CRV before the cops came and a few pesos to Fat Pedro and a few others in white shirts got me the right police report.

Like DV8 said. Get on the phone ASAP to anyone with connections if a motto hits you or if the car is totalled. Call the rental company but also be carefull because some rental reps look at your folly as a free fall. A rep in POP ( i don't want to name names, JASON ) has been known to broker deals that get him an early x-mas bonus.

Life is a gamble and driving in the DR can turn out to be a game of liars poker.

See ya next week.

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
correct

Those are the facts.

have to agree 100% with this!!! and the above is tehr eason why I am ignoring DR on map when looking for nice sunsets and beaches.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
Yep. Had enough people freak me out so I'm cabbing it. Risks just aren't worth it...if I was alone maybe but I'm traveling with family.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V7lL-Ft-_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V7lL-Ft-_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0RjHq80v4o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0RjHq80v4o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLxX8DUxkd4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLxX8DUxkd4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sf77HHQLNvY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sf77HHQLNvY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gTMgoZiscyg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gTMgoZiscyg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhlAM3k5QnE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhlAM3k5QnE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5aKJYQCcko?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5aKJYQCcko?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

dominicanadian

Aug 30, 2010
Driving in Santiago, Santo domingo, even Puerto plata can be overwhelming with very little structure. outside of these areas are ok. I would recomend the extra insurance though. most likely if you get in an accident it will be someone plowing you. I was driving from caberera to puerto plata with a dominican freind, only took 1 hour, and about three years off my life. I was white knuckeled and shaking scared, every turn was a screech, and people on the roads were diving out of the way.... not joking.... my freind is military, and i guess above the law. to me it was crazy, but to him it was just another drive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jeezas, people. i saw "why i'll never drive in POP" and i expected crashes, death and gore but this is a normal traffic flow here. if i can drive so can anyone. i learn how to drive in DR and not too long ago (3 years?), i have been driving ever since i got my own car (about 6 months, i guess) and i am fine.
all you have to do is look into the mirrors and assume everyone else is a complete idiot who will never respect any laws whatsoever.
i must say i do not like driving here much but i refuse to be incapacitated and scared. after a while you really stop shi**ing your pants :)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
An Italian friend pointed out the difference in driving styles:

In the US, everyone follows the rules, and they expect everyone else to follow the rules. It's all about the rules.

Here (in Italy), driving is all about the one-to-one personal interaction.

Once I grasped that concept, I was able to drive here fairly well.

Now, my biggest concern is speed bumps. I swear, I think the things are growing taller every year. Which is funny when you consider they are called "laying down policement", and the bumps got bigger once Krispy Kreme entered the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.