Farm animal welfare?

martpol

Jan 11, 2011
Hello,

We are visiting the Dominican Republic next month - looking forward to our stay on the Samana peninsula!

We are not vegetarians, but would be grateful for any information on the welfare of farm animals. We try where possible to eat chickens and pigs which have been reared outdoors, rather than in crowded indoor barns.

Is anyone able to tell me whether chickens and pigs in the Dominican Republic are usually raised indoors or outdoors? It's not a big issue, but would be good to know.

Many thanks!

Reactions: jrhartley

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know anything about businesses that are into raising pigs and chickens in a big way, but small operations and family farms have pigs and chickens outdoors. Not uncommon to see a family treating a pig like a pet until the day it is eaten. I have even seen children swimming with their pig in small rivers.

The past year or so, the supermarket in Sosua has been offering chicken breasts that are much larger than formally. Just why that is, I don't know, but I would no longer consider the poultry that supplied those breasts as range fed.

Beef is generally range fed and has very little fat. Even the lowest fat content hamburger sold in the US has more fat that the best quality hamburger here.

Regarding pigs, I would be very surprised if they are raised indoors, but--as indicated above--have no personal knowledge as to whether commercial raisers treat their pigs.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my father in law has a farm and all of his animals are kept outside and live a good life until they die. the same for many other farmers. not so sure about mass produced meats you can buy in DR...

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
someone say pig?

Hello,

We are visiting the Dominican Republic next month - looking forward to our stay on the Samana peninsula!

We are not vegetarians, but would be grateful for any information on the welfare of farm animals. We try where possible to eat chickens and pigs which have been reared outdoors, rather than in crowded indoor barns.

Is anyone able to tell me whether chickens and pigs in the Dominican Republic are usually raised indoors or outdoors? It's not a big issue, but would be good to know.

Many thanks!

A lady known for her pork is whirleybird, you might want to PM her.

BR

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It depends. Small establishments are more likely to use "criollo" eggs and chickens and the meat will probably be locally procured or even from their own back yard. Larger hotels and restaurants buying their food commercially are more likely to use "huevos gringos" and "pollos gringos" - intensively reared chickens and eggs, as well as meat from large farms.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Please forgive me for asking, but WHY?

Oh dear, this thread could get very "interesting" very quickly.

Basically, there are two reasons.

1. Animal welfare

2. Health

As to the first, I will let someone else post.
As to the second, I can add just a little, but others will be more knowledgeable.

Animals raised outdoor as "free-range" are generally healthier animals and have been fed fewer antibiotics and other drugs. Persons with allergies to some antibiotics can suffer from eating such meat.

Also, as was evidenced by the recent egg recall in the US, mass produced animal products can lead to a lot of contamination very quickly. Farm raised animals may have one or two eggs that are contaminated, but not on as great a scale.

May 29, 2006
Free range chickens, eggs and pork also have more flavor. We use free range eggs for cooking once in a while, but they have too much flavor for baking. The yolks are firm and full of color. American bacon has almost no flavor compared to most Dominican stuff I've had. Creole pig is a whole different animal than the imported American pigs.

martpol

Jan 11, 2011
Please forgive me for asking, but WHY?

Actually for me, it's

1. Animal welfare
Obvious, really - though of course there are plenty of people who are happy with lower-welfare food, I happen not to be.

and then

2. Taste
Which I think is undoubtedly true - free range chicken, pork and eggs are so much better.

Anyway, thanks for all your answers!