One down, thousands more to go!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Denis O'Brien - a good guy with a great marketing team in Haiti.

He stuck 350 million into Haiti and made it pay.
He showed that you can build infrastructure and make money from it in Haiti and have Haitians as the vast majority of Digicel mangers and technicians.

It works.

Digicel's entry into the market caused Haitian cellphone usage to skyrocket and the cost to plummet - and 'It's Good to Talk'.

He has done a load of other crucial stuff in Haiti but does not seem to shout about it that much.

And remember - Denis O'Brien is a self confessed arch rival of Carlos Slim, So he can't be all that bad?

Buy that man a pint of whatever he fancies!
Good on ya Denis!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And the Vietnamese have arrived in impressive fashion as NATCOM, quickly throwing up hundreds of Kms of TV/Internet /Phone carrying fibre on EDH poles around the provinces. (EDH - Haitian Power Company for whom Half the battle is distribution)
And all this is along some very sturdily engineered and substantially built roads.

The roads were probably aid driven? Don't know.

But NATCOM are investing $$$$ to make $$$$ - not because they are kind hearted.

Roads, Internet, Electricity - All Good Things.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another symbol of hope, but this one will not make it to The New York Times, or any other newspaper outside the DR or Haiti (and if it does, I'll be shocked!):

univhaiti.jpg

La arquitecta Milka Garrido, coordinadora de la Unidad Ejecutora de la Universidad P?blica de Hait? (UNEDUPHA), que donar? el Gobierno dominicano a la vecina naci?n, muestra la maqueta y ofrece detalles t?cnicos de la obra que ser? construida en Cabo Haitiano, con una inversi?n de U$30 millones. Observa el presidente Leonel Fern?ndez y la Primera Dama, Margarita Cede?o de Fern?ndez. El mandatario dijo que el centro de educaci?n superior ser? entregado el 12 de enero del 2012.

En favor de Hait? - DiarioLibre.com

That's how the university the Dominican government is building in Cap Haitien will look like. It will be inaugurated on the 12 of January of 2012.

Now, if tiny and compromised DR can do this for Haiti, imagine what could be achieved by this time next year if every government (especially other neighboring countries, including a couple really wealthy countries a little further to the north, ahem) would make a promise, execute it on time and keep it!

But, no. That's not what's happening. As far as governments really helping Haiti, it appears that the DR is the only one taking this seriously. :devious:

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
But that is my point - usually when a project is undertaken to help Haiti it falls on its ass.

But when the object is making filthy luca, I give it more chance of lasting success.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
But that is my point - usually when a project is undertaken to help Haiti it falls on its ass.

But when the object is making filthy luca, I give it more chance of lasting success.

You know what happens.

When your object is to make money, there are clearly defined objectives and goals. You understand that there are parameters. Money is being invested and results and return on that investment are expected.

When it's to "help"...goals and objectives aren't as clearly defined....no way to measure "success" or "failure"....Some people in the business of helping like it that way......and the goal becomes to continue to get funding to "help"

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Another symbol of hope, but this one will not make it to The New York Times, or any other newspaper outside the DR or Haiti (and if it does, I'll be shocked!):

univhaiti.jpg

La arquitecta Milka Garrido, coordinadora de la Unidad Ejecutora de la Universidad P?blica de Hait? (UNEDUPHA), que donar? el Gobierno dominicano a la vecina naci?n, muestra la maqueta y ofrece detalles t?cnicos de la obra que ser? construida en Cabo Haitiano, con una inversi?n de U$30 millones. Observa el presidente Leonel Fern?ndez y la Primera Dama, Margarita Cede?o de Fern?ndez. El mandatario dijo que el centro de educaci?n superior ser? entregado el 12 de enero del 2012.

En favor de Hait? - DiarioLibre.com

That's how the university the Dominican government is building in Cap Haitien will look like. It will be inaugurated on the 12 of January of 2012.

Now, if tiny and compromised DR can do this for Haiti, imagine what could be achieved by this time next year if every government (especially other neighboring countries, including a couple really wealthy countries a little further to the north, ahem) would make a promise, execute it on time and keep it!

But, no. That's not what's happening. As far as governments really helping Haiti, it appears that the DR is the only one taking this seriously. :devious:

Beautiful!!! Lets see who is going to support it, see how in DR public universities malfunctioning as they doesn't have enough economy resources.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Beautiful!!! Lets see who is going to support it, see how in DR public universities malfunctioning as they doesn't have enough economy resources.

JJ
The problems in the UASD (the one and only public university in the DR) is the way the resources are managed by the university bureaucracy than the amount. However, the UASD has seen an aggressive expansion of its regional campuses and improvements of the main campus.

The university being built for the Haitians seems to me to be very similar to the new UASD - San Juan de la Maguana campus:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I26faIv6ye4?fs=1&hl=es_ES&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I26faIv6ye4?fs=1&hl=es_ES&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Zm22zRxgl0?fs=1&hl=es_ES&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Zm22zRxgl0?fs=1&hl=es_ES&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Click here and scroll roughly one fifth down and you'll see plenty of photos of the UASD-San Juan de la Maguana

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The university being built for the Haitians seems to me to be very similar to the new UASD - San Juan de la Maguana campus:
Nals, Are you from SJM?

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nals, Are you from SJM?

JJ
What does that has to do with the Haitian university being similar in design to the UASD - San Juan de la Maguana?

And no, I'm not from San Juan but certainly from Moca.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
What does that has to do with the Haitian university being similar in design to the UASD - San Juan de la Maguana?

And no, I'm not from San Juan but certainly from Moca.

Just wondering to see if you know a popular guy from SJM.

Osea que tu eres serie 54 igual que mi familia, que bueno.

JJ